PDA

View Full Version : C4 collets

Lew Hartswick
08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
We have a set of C4 collets from 1/8 to 3/4 by 1/16 but no fixture
to hold them. Is there any sort of adaptor to use a Spindex for
C5 collets to be able to use them. Or what do I have to come up
with to use one. Our C5 are 1/8 increment and I need a 3/16 which
is in the C4 set. OR! Has anyone ever made a holder for C4 's ??
I'll look at the various C5 holders today and see if I get any ideas but
if anyone has already been down that road it would be a big help.
Thanks
...lew...

rkepler
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
You might have more luck with the search terms "4C" and "5C", that's the more common name for the collets.

That being said I don't recall seeing too many 4C spindex units. If you need to borrow a 5C give me a shout.

bborr01
08-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Lew,

C4 sounds like some kind of exploding collet.:D

Brian

tyrone shewlaces
08-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I concur with rkepler. 4C are much less common than 5C, which you can find in any size and price range, many other configurations than yer basic round OD grip (hex, square, ID, various fixtures, etc.)

The only ones I've seen in person in all these years was for the vertical head on a little Hardinge milling machine. That's the only thing in the shop they fit too. The only other thing I've seen them used for, but only in pictures, was for some smaller lathes which had a 1" spindle bore and a 4C collet nose attachment, and whomever owns those would certainly not ever surrender them. I'm thinking the only kind of adapter you may find in the wild would be one which fits these lathes and would have a Morse #4 back end.

You should be able to pick up a 3/16 5C collet any day of the week from several suppliers and probably know someone you can borrow one from if you know a few guys in the craft.

And you may not be aware of this, but some suppliers offer sets to fill in around nominal sizes and expand your range, so if you felt froggy you could probably pick up a "sixteenth" set that doesn't have the "eighth" sizes, if you had the money and wanted to fill out your set without duplicating what you already have.

Black_Moons
08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
iv never seen anyone with these 'filler in' sets. .hence why I bought a /32" set off the bat.. -_-;

Might I recommend you check the entire shop from head to toe for something 4C fits into, and apon not finding anything, Sell the collets for an outragious price to some poor smuck stuck with a 4C collet taking lathe, Using the money to buy a new 5C set?

recoilless
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
My Hardinge TM came with a vert head and a full set of 4C collets that sit nicely in a factory made holder just inside the front door. They are in 1/16" increments from 1/16 to 3/4. While I'm sure that Hardinge made smaller increments, I don't think the rack for the larger set would allow the door to close.

BTW, I have never used the vert head or the collets and apparently the previous owner didn't either.

Lew Hartswick
08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Sorry about the dyslexia on the letter/number. I have been so use to
using the term R8 that I get in the habit of letter first. :-)
As to something that uses the 4C's no, I've been there for 10 years
and they don't fit anything. We have a lot of "stuff" in the tool room
that doesn't fit anything. :-) As to just buying one, fergetit, it takes
an act of congress to get anything at a public school these days.
Since I sort of figgured there wasn't an easy answer to this, today I
looked up the specs in M H (guess what, no spec on the angle) and
started on the nut to pull the collet into a "to be determined" fixture.
That went OK so next day or so I'll see what I can come up with to
hold the collet.
I haven't done any searching yet for the angle but it looks like about
23 deg included. so shouldn't be any problem.
Think I'll do a 4 sided one first and if needed a 6 later. Only need a
single orientation for this job. (that started this "build a tool to build
something else") :-)
Pictures to follow (if it works) :-)
...Lew...

Lew Hartswick
08-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Rather discouraging, just spent a hour searching for the angle of
collets. Both 4C and 5C look to be the same but it isn't documented
anywhere. Did a Google seach and between the sex and some web
hosting ads the rest are just selling. The only honest to gosh specs
for them seem to be the threads and the register diameter at the
rear. I get the "impression" that it MAY be 10 deg (half angle surely)
by mark I eyeball I can see the included angle is a lot more than that.
My crude measure and a bit of trig I vcame up with about 24 this
afternoon.
SO does anyone have an exact spec. for the angle in the closer
body???? Surely if companies made these things they must have a
specification.
...lew...

recoilless
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM

SO does anyone have an exact spec. for the angle in the closer
body???? Surely if companies made these things they must have a
specification.

http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/colletap.html

This link will give you a list of the lathes/mills that used the 4C collet as well as dims
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=78966&highlight=eccentric+turning

Four posts down on above link, 10 deg. per side

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/./download/file.php?id=4699&t=1&sid=5512723e1d88375110f44190029d35e7 (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/./download/file.php?id=4699&sid=5512723e1d88375110f44190029d35e7&mode=view)

artjana1016
01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
HELLO LEW, MY NAME IS DON AND IM IN LAS CRUCES. I HAVE RECENTLY AQUIRED A BCAMES 3005 AND WAS WANDERING IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AMES OR ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN BUYING IT? MY E-MAIL IS ART1016@LIVE.COM THANKS DON......

RussZHC
01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I know we don't do sales here, does an offer to buy qualify?

The only other thing I've seen them used for, but only in pictures, was for some smaller lathes which had a 1" spindle bore and a 4C collet nose attachment, and whomever owns those would certainly not ever surrender them. I'm thinking the only kind of adapter you may find in the wild would be one which fits these lathes and would have a Morse #4 back end.

And, as Black Moons said...I have to ask, if the price is not in the too outrageous...PM if...as your situation sounds like you are not really able to buy/purchase/sell.

4C are out there and not overly expensive, relatively speaking, but they are difficult enough to find one can only approach a useful "set" with a lot of waiting and searching...AND it does not help that a large mfg of them was Hardinge which tends to be out of my range anyway.

Russ, the proud owner of an early 10" Sheldon, 4C is it, with adapter MT # 4 to 4C AND there is just on the wrong side of room for 5C to work...and yes, a 5C plate or 5C chuck is on the list

Black_Moons
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
This thread is long dead. Necromancy is bad.

Lew Hartswick
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
This thread is long dead. Necromancy is bad. B.M. Youre a riot. I can't quit laughing. :-)

RussZHC I finally made a 4 sided block to hold them so, no sale. :-)
...lew...