PDA

View Full Version : Horror Freight bandsaw blades - HA!!!

KiddZimaHater
08-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I have 2 Starrett bandsaw blades on order, but I really needed to get ahead on some parts I'm working on.
So, I decided to get a 'cheap' bandsaw blade, to use in the meantime, until the Starrett blades arrive.
HA!!! The joke's on me!
I bought a $9.99 bandsaw blade from Horror Freight, thinking it would last until Friday.
After unwraping it, I noticed the flimsy, flexible weld holding it together. (Uh-Oh)
"Oh well, it'll last until Friday". :p
I was cutting 2" dia. Aluminum barstock.
The blade lasted all of 18 parts.
*SNAP*
Oh Well, so much for my improv.:(
You get what you pay for.....
$10 down the drain ... I should've bought beer instead.

radkins
08-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I am surprised it lasted as long as it did! The HF here has those same crappy blades but they also have Morse blades for more money, I have used the Morse from HF and they do work well. All is not lost however if it is not too much of a drive to take it back, they will exchange it or give you a refund (some choice huh?):)

johnnyd
08-25-2010, 10:35 PM
BEER - "it's cheaper than therapy" :D

JoeLee
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Thats a joke even thinking about HF bandsaw blades. Starrett are OK, I've used them in the past. I finally settled on Rotgen or something like that. Bi metal. The last blade I bought was 4 years ago. I cut everyhting with it including a lot of stainless. The best I ever had, and the 68 1/2" x 1/2" .025 blade only cost me $18.
I keep a couple different tooth patterns on hand.

JL...................

Evan
08-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I cut most aluminum on my little cheap vertical wood cutting bandsaw using relatively cheap carbon steel blades. They last pretty well as long as I use some wax or WD-40. Cutting dry is a good way to throw away money even with a bimetal blade. 6061 has a little less than 1 percent silicon found as microscopic crystals of the element interspersed in the aluminum matrix. Silicon is hard just like rocks. It will wear a blade quickly if used dry.

AlphaGeek
08-26-2010, 12:07 AM
I found super-quick way to ruin a brand-new Lenox 10/14 VP blade -- spend a few minutes answering questions from your offspring about the new bandsaw, forget that the hydraulic downfeed knob is set to max speed, and watch in horror as the blade goes charging into hunk of steel when you open the valve. Completely stripped the teeth on a ~2" section. Blade had less than an hour of use on it when this happened. $25 down the drain.

I suppose it could be shortened and re-welded for use on a porta-band. If anyone wants it, PM me and you can have it for the cost of shipping.

-AG

Farbmeister
08-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Of course you adjusted speeds and feeds.

Ranting that a low quality part didn't last as long as a 'high cost' (note cost != quality) that in all honesty was probably made less than 10 ft from the cheaper one simply means that you are a tool snob.

I've cut up several sections of 1in steel plate (into 4inx8in chunks) in on my ORIGINAL HF bandsaw blade and its cuts fine.

If you want to break it.. you will.

Nothing to see here.. move on.

Spandau
08-26-2010, 01:32 AM
I have a HF $26 blade (made in the USA) in my ChiCom bandsaw, and it's lasted through more cuts than I can count---steel, Al, rebar, tubing, ect. No regard to cooling--- sometimes yes, sometimes no, and always adjusting the speed to fit my materials. I'm happy.

airsmith282
08-26-2010, 02:23 AM
i really cant understand how come it is you guys keep supporting a company that has much bad reviews on there junk like really.

and its not always you get what you pay for,but most times it is very true for sure , i bought a nut splitter the other day and it could not make it thew a grade 10 nut, wast of 20 bucks but i gota refund and bought a new bottle of map fule and solved the problem with less hassel, and for only11.00 and still had money for a pack of ciggeretts..

sidneyt
08-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I own a HF bandsaw that I used carbon steel blades with for a time, but then discovered how much better the bi-metal blades worked. However, I never remember actually breaking a HF carbon steel blade. In any case the $14.99 Enco bi-metal blades last a long time by comparison and with free shipping they are really a bargain: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMKD?SIITEM001=TF240-4930&SIQTY001=1&SICOUNT=1

I have noticed that HF does carry bimetal blades in the store, but the price was ~$25.00 the last time I looked. Then I just looked up on their web site this blade: http://www.harborfreight.com/64-1-2-half-inch-x-1-2-half-inch-18-tpi-bimetal-bandsaw-blade-91029.html If it is the same blade I would consider it if needed a blade in a hurry.

DICKEYBIRD
08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
"HA!!!" indeed. I buy the Supercut (Made in the USA) blades from my HF store and they perform very well. Very good bang for the buck.

http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/how_to_choose.html

Falcon67
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I have a HF $26 blade (made in the USA) in my ChiCom bandsaw, and it's lasted through more cuts than I can count---steel, Al, rebar, tubing, ect. No regard to cooling--- sometimes yes, sometimes no, and always adjusting the speed to fit my materials. I'm happy.

What he said. Hell, I'm too lazy to even change the speed on the thing.

Black_Moons
08-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Yea, the trick is to get bimetal, Carbon steel just does not last vs mild steel. Even cheap bimetal are usally quite good.

On the other hand, if you where cutting something insanely abrasive that eats bimetal for breakfast, Carbon steel becomes economical because it will take a similar amount of time to be grinded down, but only cost half as much per blade... At least, thats what Iv read as the excuse for still selling carbon steel metal bandsaw blades :)

radkins
08-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Again even HF does have some good stuff IF you look for it and don't buy the cheapest thing they have. Those Morse blades I bought cost about three times the HF "no name" brand but they cut the same as a Morse blade from any other store.

Farbmeister
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM
i really cant understand how come it is you guys keep supporting a company that has much bad reviews on there junk like really.

and its not always you get what you pay for,but most times it is very true for sure , i bought a nut splitter the other day and it could not make it thew a grade 10 nut, wast of 20 bucks but i gota refund and bought a new bottle of map fule and solved the problem with less hassel, and for only11.00 and still had money for a pack of ciggeretts..

Every company has bad parts. When I was in the service defense contractors who are under MILSPEC controls still put out DOA parts (I was in electronics).

Starret never had a bad indicator? Why support a company that charges so much for junk?

HF's blessing is that if you ruin it in 30 days you can take it back no harm no foul.. the item is guaranteed.

I think with even a modest amount of google-fu you can research your purchase, find out if its a quality buy or not.

gary350
08-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Buy DoALL.

I have not bought anything but DoAll for 20 years because they guarantee there blades and they last many times longer than other companies blades.

I use to buy the cheap blades and they never lasted very long. We got a blade welder and I started making my own blades that saved money but we still went through a lot of blades. It also took time to make blades.

One day a DoAll salesman dropped in trying to sell me something. I really didn't want to take much time talking to the guy I had work to do. He picked my brain trying to find out what he could sell me when he mentioned their blades were guaranteed that is when I realized I need to give this a try. Blades were double in price but I decided to go for it anyway. I ordered 1 blade and it lasted 3 months. I was sold on DoAll after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpbs3NlhpxE

If you keep your band saw adjusted, keep it in good shape, run it the correct speed and don't let some idiot try and cut an allen wrench or file in half blades will last a lot longer.