PDA

View Full Version : Mig Welding wire spools.

Black_Moons
08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi, I recently bought a 10lb spool of 0.024 mig welding wire to replace the empty 2lb spool in my welder.

Unfortualy after I got it home I noticed the 10lb spool uses a 2" bore and the 2lb spool uses a 1/2" or so bore, Should I just turn down the old empty spool to make a press fit adapator?

Or is this so that the 10lb spools feed at the same angle by hanging down on the 1/2" support rod?

Welder is a cheapo chinese 'powerfist' (princess auto) 120amp model, 240v input. Provides tension on the spool by a spring behind the spool and a thumbwheel/wingnut to tension the spool against the spring.

Tinkerer
08-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Generally there is an adapter that should of came with the welder (or option to order) for use with the larger spools. I don't' think the two lb spools can be made into an insert at least one I'd trust. But one could easily be turned from plastic... wood or aluminum. Or you maybe able to just buy one cheaper either LWS ... Lowes or HomeDepot could have them.

jungle_geo
08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, generally they come with an adapter for the larger spools.
Having the 10lb spool loosely sitting on the 1/2" spindle would not be advisable since the feed mechanism relies on tension between the drive roller and the spool otherwise it will free-wheel on you and provide an inconsistent feed and possible a mess of wire in the box. Generally the nut on the 1/2" spindle has a Teflon or plastic washer that allows one to adjust the tension on the spool and without the proper adapter you lose the ability to adjust the tension since you can't utilize the nut and washer.

Black_Moons
08-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I made an adapator by turning down one side of the old 1lb spool, and hotglueing the hell outta the face (overlaped the old spool) and the recessed flange. Seems to be working well. Thanks. Did'nt know if maybe there was some trick like it hung low to keep the same wire angle or something.

Course, getting it out might be a little hard :)

Nifty thing though: I could'nt find my digital caliper, So I just used telescopic gauges and a standard old 'feel' caliper, And actualy got it to a nice slip fit with basicly no play. Old timer tools still work!

gnm109
08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi, I recently bought a 10lb spool of 0.024 mig welding wire to replace the empty 2lb spool in my welder.

Unfortualy after I got it home I noticed the 10lb spool uses a 2" bore and the 2lb spool uses a 1/2" or so bore, Should I just turn down the old empty spool to make a press fit adapator?

Or is this so that the 10lb spools feed at the same angle by hanging down on the 1/2" support rod?

Welder is a cheapo chinese 'powerfist' (princess auto) 120amp model, 240v input. Provides tension on the spool by a spring behind the spool and a thumbwheel/wingnut to tension the spool against the spring.

Home Depot sells the adapters for that purpose. They work on my Lincoln SP175 Plus and I think they would work on any MIG since the drives are standard to fit the spools.

Black_Moons
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Now you tell me! oh well. I'll remember that in 2 years when I run outta this 10lb spool.