PDA

View Full Version : Ever worked in the shop under the influence?

Too_Many_Tools
08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Just came back from a good friend's shop.

While he is a good friend and great machinist, he has a drinking problem..a serious one since his wife died last year.

When I was there, he was using his Monarch lathe, Bridgeport mill and Rockwell vertical saw while under the influence...barely able to stand up.

I will be having a firm but honest talk with him about the situation when he sobers up.

Very sad to see someone place himself at risk.

But it also raises a question since many of us like a drink or two, when should a person ban themselves from a shop when alcohol (or drugs..prescription or otherwise) are involved?

Should a Bridgeport be equipped with a breath analyzer?

TMT

davidh
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
i often will have a beer with me in the evening if im going to the shop.

uncle pete
08-26-2010, 05:47 PM
"Barely able to stand up" No way no how, Your right to talk to him. I will drink beer while in my shop but I highly doubt I drink more than one every three hrs. or so. I find the odd beer slows me down enough to pre think whatever process I'm about to do and think this planning helps in less mistakes or working myself into a corner. YMMV, use at your own risk. And whatever other cya terms that come to mind.

Pete

IdahoJim
08-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Heck no!...I draw enough blood sober....don't need to add to it by drinkin'.
Jim

Cecil Walker
08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
One of my printed and posted shop rules:

NO ALCOHOL IN THE SHOP.....NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

boslab
08-26-2010, 06:07 PM
trick is take a few asprins as well, at least then you will bleed out so quickley youll barely know your dead, much better than years of pain and missing digit sydrome [they itch]
black Welsh sense of humor, barely understandable by the Welsh, so theres no chance for anyone else.
People drink, theres not much of a cure, pain is pain, a lot of folk drink because of the pain, physical and emotional, they dont need a lecture they need help, try to persuade them to seek it.
mark

Dr Stan
08-26-2010, 06:19 PM
In Germany it is common to see people on the shop floor with a beer. That said, they are not falling down drunk. Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while operating equipment is just asking for trouble.

Hope the intervention goes well.

timm525
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Not a great idea. I had a neighbor that was a clock maker on the side. He found out the hard way you can't drink vodka and run a table saw at the same time. Can't count to ten anymore either.

Black_Moons
08-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Yea, I pertty much have a 1 drink max for my shop. Besides, After im done one drink I hardly feel like working anymore!

EVguru
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM
If I'm driving, I might have a single glass of wine with a meal, or a pint of beer (and try for something less than 4%), but when riding a motorcycle, or operating machine tools, it's ZERO alcohol.

The dangers of alcohol;

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/geezer/geezer51.htm

KiddZimaHater
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I drink a beer or (few) in my shop while I'm working.
But I don't get drunk. - BIG DIFFERENCE.
When I start getting a nice buzz, I'll close-up shop and wander (stumble?) back into the house.
Mostly, I drink beer while the bandsaw is running .... (BORING)
I'll pull up a chair next to the bandsaw, sit down, open a cold one, turn on the radio, and be bored to tears while the stock is cutting.

ADGO_Racing
08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Heck no!...I draw enough blood sober....don't need to add to it by drinkin'.

+2 on that one!

I too have a NO ALCOHOL NO EXCEPTIONS rule. There are a couple bars within a few blocks ifI or anyone else needs a beer or two. Anyone who uses the shop in the off hours is subject to the same rules, I catch them one time, they will never use the shop during the off hours again.

Tony Ennis
08-26-2010, 07:37 PM
No booze in my shop.

steverice
08-26-2010, 07:46 PM
A friend of mine / machinist had a serious problem with alcohol and drugs, he would smoke dope while working on the machines and drink whiskey at the same time.

He did have a tenancy to make some mistakes, some times the jobs would not be totally thought out and he wouldn't come to work til about noon.

Sober he was a great machinist and a good guy to be around. I don't know how bad or if he was ever hurt while using the tools but I know his personal life took a toll from his excesses.

He works as a machinist to this day, his personal demons have not left him.

Doc Nickel
08-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't drink even when I'm not in the shop. :D Not for any moral or religious reason, I just never developed the taste for it.

I have, however, found myself getting a bit loopy from long hours and lack of sleep, and that's almost as bad. I've discovered that massive doses of caffeine might be able to keep you awake, but it doesn't necessarily keep you coherent. :D

I got my first job as a "machinist" due to the other guy coming to work drunk. He was working what was called a "degating" lathe, that cut the center "hub" gate and outer rim gate off of fresh wheel castings. The chuck turned pretty slow, with the cutting done by powered saws.

The chuck was air-operated and didn't have a lot of throw. The jaws were soft aluminum and machined to take a certain size of wheel- there were three lathes, with each machine capable of holding two sizes (for example, a 13" rim and a 15".) Thoroughly analog machines- nothing but timers and limit switches.

One of the guys that ran them when I started working there, rather routinely showed up at least mildly drunk, which wore off as the day went on. But occasionally, he'd come in either really drunk, or drunk and stoned, or both.

He'd be barely able to stand at the machine, and would keep putting the wrong casting in- which would then fall out of the chuck and bounce around on the saws 'til either he noticed or the guy at the next machine over stepped in and slapped the E-stop. Either way, it'd typically ruin the casting and almost always damage a saw.

One day a few weeks after I started, this had gone on long enough the castings were bottlenecking and backing up at the degating, and one of the supervisors showed up just in time to watch this guy trash another casting.

They hauled his ass away and the super turned and asked me if I could run it, basically being the nearest warm body available. (All I was doing was stacking the castings on a heat-treat rack anyway.)

I said sure (or at least indicated, it was too loud for normal conversation in there) grabbed a fresh casting and pushed the button. I stayed there for the rest of the time I worked there. :D

Doc.

MuellerNick
08-26-2010, 08:01 PM
You might start with "Don't post and drink" before cleaning in front of other's doors?

Nick

saltmine
08-26-2010, 08:14 PM
My nephew had that problem where he worked.

They are a specialty shop that works only on late model Corvettes.

He'd get a couple of engines built, and installed, waiting for the itinerant "dyno guy" to show up and put the final, "under power" tune on them.

Sometimes the guy would show up when he was supposed to, sometimes nobody knew where he was for weeks. When he did show up, chances are he'd be either plastered or high...or both. His carelessness caused several engine failures, before they stopped asking him to come back...my nephew usually got blamed, until he confronted the boss, and told him why they were blowing up engines.

The boss is a fairly reasonable guy, and decided to send my nephew off to Dyno School. It's expensive, but when the kid started doing all of the dyno work, too, failures were almost non-existent. I have to give him credit, he learned as he went, and now they do quite a bit of dyno tuning, even on their competitors' cars. Nobody knows where the original itinerant "dyno guy" went, it's like the earth opened up and swallowed him. Either that, or he's lying in some alley, drunk, stoned or both.

Ausserdog
08-26-2010, 09:02 PM
No alcohol in the shop, whether working on cars or on machines - no exceptions! A cold brew might pop up after cleanup, but NEVER before.

gnm109
08-26-2010, 09:29 PM
It's incredibly reckless to be intoxicated while operating machinery or driving. Don't get me wrong, I will drink a beer or a glass of wine now and then, but only AFTER working or driving.

Apparently the only "tolerance" that fellow has is for alcohol....I'd like to measure some of his work after he's been MUI. (Machining Under the Influence).

I expect we'll be reading about him.

SGW
08-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Not me -- I'm already incompetent enough when I'm sober.

cuslog
08-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I like a few drinks now and then too ---- but not when I'm operating any kind of power tool, vehicle or firearm, I want these all put away before the brewski's come out.

ADGO_Racing
08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I like a few drinks now and then too ---- but not when I'm operating any kind of power tool, vehicle or firearm, I want these all put away before the brewski's come out.

I thought BATFE was the shopping list for a quality weekend

A: Alcohol
T: Tobacco
F: Firearms
E: Explosives

They all go together like peanut butter and jelly, only better. It is such a great combination we have an entire B: Bureau dedicated to it! :D

chriskat
08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
If I've had one beer I won't even open the gun vault and I certainly won't turn on any shop equipment. Just a rule for me, if one's ok pretty soon maybe two is, then three...

Not going to start that.

polepenhollow
08-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I enjoy my libations as well as anyone else.
I have a machine shop in the garage and I ride motorcycles to boot.
Once you decide pop the top, all actvity stops.
You can either drink, ride or machine.
"You can do one, or you can do the other; but you can't do both".
No arguments, no negotiations.....
Your choice..
End of story.
Make your choice.
K Lively

Tinkerer
08-26-2010, 10:21 PM
None... noda... anyone drinking alcohol is not let in the door. ;)

john hobdeclipe
08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I love my booze...really, I do. But never if I have to work, or drive, or even think. After the day's work is done and the shop is locked and I've showered and settled in for the evening, I'll have some wine, or a nice strong ale, or sometimes a nip or two of the rum bottle. But NEVER in the shop.

As a young, reckless and oft times stupid 20 year old worker in a furniture factory, I showed up one Saturday morning still drunk from the night's revelry. The short version of this story is that I very nearly compound mitered my left arm just above the elbow. Now THAT put a scare in me that has never went away.

As it is, I'm fortunate enough to have spent many years in the furniture industry and come out of it with all ten fingers, and only a half dozen stitches. I fully intend to keep all ten right up to the end.

Willy
08-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Alcohol in the shop, you bet, well occasionally.
But when it comes out anything other than a vacuum cleaner is shut off. No exceptions!

As some of the others, I also enjoy firearms and motorcycles and the same rule applies to them as well. As a matter of fact that rule applies to anything that deserves my full attention. I've seen enough of the grief booze and drugs have caused and I think I owe it to myself to learn from the follies of others.

A drink is fine for relaxation and a bit of fun but how in the world can you relax while while devoting your full attention to a machining process...that's right you can't.

By the way same rule applies to friends that come over to chat.
Once they start flappin' their gums...off goes the switch. I've done enough multi-tasking during my working career, I don't need that anymore thanks.

TMT, I'm glad that your friend is a good friend, hopefully you can help him turn that ship around. If he respects your opinion enough you may have a chance. You may not get him to quit drinking overnight but at least try the first important step of him not drinking when operating machinery.

TGTool
08-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I worked at a place where the fab shop leader was a drinker. Usually he was pretty responsible, though sometimes Monday mornings weren't very productive. There was some overtime work to meet schedules and weekend work was a little more laid back. So one Saturday the crew had come in to spray paint after they'd gotten everything masked and primed on Friday. The boss went out to see how they were doing and there were some beer cans sitting around so he gave them a warning. When the painting was done it sure better look like they were painting and decided to have a few beers rather than drinking and decided to do a little painting. :p

Too_Many_Tools
08-26-2010, 10:51 PM

I have ZERO TOLERANCE with mixing alcohol with gun usage.

I am very selective about who is around me when firearms are involved.

And like me, my friend owns a significant number of firearms.

The usage of alcohol around the shop is likely not the only issue I will need to address with my friend.

TMT

drof34
08-26-2010, 11:00 PM
We used to have a guy in our shop that was 1/2 to 3/4 drunk all the time and he worked that way for years.

He would have been fired but for the fact he turned out good work and fast. He ran a 24" Sydney lathe and he could whip out a perfect 8' shaft with multiple fits, a thread and a taper on it in 8 hrs. or less.

He came to work one Sat. morning so drunk he could hardly walk and was told to go home. He lived very close by and he fell down before he got out of the shop. That was a pitiful sight but no one would help him up and he had to crawl home. They did eventually fire him and he lived for years after wards. He never did quit drinking until he died. He shoulda been fired the first day.

Todd Tolhurst
08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I, for one, am solidly in favor of alcohol in the shop. Also acetone, mineral spirits, toluene ...

Dr Stan
08-27-2010, 12:21 AM
There were times while I was in the Navy that we had to put various guys on an alternative assignment for the day due to serious hangovers, or still inebriated. Wish I could say it never happened to me, but I'd be lying. This was in the 70's when drug & alcohol abuse were rampant in the military.

At this point in life if I go through two 6 packs in a month I've been drinking "heavily". That allows me to buy some very good micro-brews instead of the junk passed off as "beer" by the big American brewers. I'm well aware there were times I should not have been behind the wheel, but that has not happened for decades.

So driving, machinery, firearms, etc do not mix with alcohol for me.

Todd Tolhurst
08-27-2010, 12:42 AM
At this point in life if I go through two 6 packs in a month I've been drinking "heavily".
I'm often mistaken, even by friends, for a nondrinker. Of course, it did take me three consecutive St. Patrick's Days to consume an entire 6-pack of Guinness, so maybe they're not so far off.

Pete F
08-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I keep beer in a fridge in the shop. I get to have one while I clean up after working. It's a nice incentive to not leave the place a mess, and my wife can hear the top pop, so she knows I'll be in soon.

Except for the shop-vac, nothing with a motor gets turned on after a beer is opened. No chisels, either.

-Pete

Smokedaddy
08-27-2010, 01:10 AM
The husband of my neice owns a large aerospace machine shop. He is a total freaking drunk, on and off the job. Of course he says, "I only have a couple of beers", yea, like a case a day everyday and 3 DUI's.

-SD:

gr8life
08-27-2010, 01:16 AM
When I was flying we always said "8 hours bottle to throttle" All this talk of drinking makes me want to have my evening drink before going to bed.
thanks
ed
ps Guess I will use the space I was holding for a Guiness tap in my shop to hold another machine.

saltmine
08-27-2010, 01:17 AM
I hear ya, Smokedaddy. I used to work for a guy who claimed to be a "light social drinker"

He went through two fifths of VO every day....

He was my age...but now, he's taking a "dirt nap."

KIMFAB
08-27-2010, 01:55 AM
There were times while I was in the Navy that we had to put various guys on an alternative assignment for the day due to serious hangovers, or still inebriated. Wish I could say it never happened to me, but I'd be lying. This was in the 70's when drug & alcohol abuse were rampant in the military.

Got a laugh out of this. I used to send them down to the laundry. It's amazing what 100 degrees and 90 percent humidity will do to a hangover.
Got out in 1970 but went back as a reserve for some cash. I couldn't believe how bad it had gotten. Seemed everyone was drunk or stoned.

My computer/electronics area is right next to my machines. When I'm done on the mill or lathe I'll sit in front of the computer where a jug of J D is within reach.
From here I can admire the work on the machine and bang on the keyboard.

RB211
08-27-2010, 01:59 AM
One flight school I worked at, owners were alcoholics. Made matters worse that I lived with them. Nothing like being woken up 1am in the morning by your boss asking you to drive her to some one elses house to see if her boyfriend is cheating on her... bf being the chief pilot...
I never did it but I often wondered how well I could fly the sim drunk. Probably pretty darn good.
From what I've seen of alcoholics, it scares me to the point that I hardly ever drink!

Abner
08-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your friends loss and subsequent grief. Self-medication is common but not understood by many. He needs time for the pain but you sure don't want him to get physically hurt as well. Men generally suck at dealing with tender stuff. He is obviously hurting. I don't know how to fix that kind of pain. I would seek some professional advice, but make sure it sounds right to you. As my father said - They call it a practice for a reason. I wish you well....

gnm109
08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I recall that in the late 1970's I worked for an aerospace company that was modifying some of its data-entering equipment to work with different cassettes. That required some machine work of small parts that were added to hold the cassettes. There were several drawings and there were something like 50 parts on each drawing.

Make a long story short, I was a technical writer and was assigned to take the drawings to the machine shop and explain them, have them built and then later pick them up for installation. The shop was just across the street.

It took several weeks to get the work done and I learned never to go to the machine shop on Monday morning. I was told that half the shop would come in late with a hangover.

I guess that some machinists are like painters and contractors - they like to party on the weekends.

jack3140
08-27-2010, 11:47 AM
trick is take a few asprins as well, at least then you will bleed out so quickley youll barely know your dead, much better than years of pain and missing digit sydrome [they itch]
black Welsh sense of humor, barely understandable by the Welsh, so theres no chance for anyone else.
People drink, theres not much of a cure, pain is pain, a lot of folk drink because of the pain, physical and emotional, they dont need a lecture they need help, try to persuade them to seek it.
mark
i like your sense of humor but it must be taken as such some people get offended when jokes are made about a serious situation ( i dont ) have a nice day :) :) :)

garagemark
08-27-2010, 12:34 PM
My shop is very large, and the wife and I use it to entertain guests. We will set up the smoker, a grill, and a large gas fired camp stove. I also fire off the wood stove so the girls won't get cold in the evenings. We have thrown some serious good parties in the shop, and great quantities of alcohol have been brewed and consumed in that space. The floor is open enough that we set up a preparation table, a serving table, and eating tables. However, All tools are unplugged, the shop workbenches are cleaned, floor swept and hazardous chemicals or objects are stored. I have even been asked to host a wedding reception in the garage. It was a blast! No one has ever even tried to do something stupid there, and the day it happens is the last time that person is invited to one of my shindigs (providing they live through the ordeal).

I personally do not imbibe while working with power tools. Just a personal choice.

Alistair Hosie
08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
No I recently had a bad accident sober so no way hosie..Sounds like your friend is fortunate enough to have you tell him your not pleased with his decisions.I feel so sorry for the guy but this is not the way out of his depression keep it up hopefully you'll get through to him regards Alistair

steverice
08-27-2010, 02:30 PM

At this point in life if I go through two 6 packs in a month I've been drinking "heavily". That allows me to buy some very good micro-brews instead of the junk passed off as "beer" by the big American brewers. I'm well aware there were times I should not have been behind the wheel, but that has not happened for decades.

So driving, machinery, firearms, etc do not mix with alcohol for me.

Got a laugh out of this. I used to send them down to the laundry. It's amazing what 100 degrees and 90 percent humidity will do to a hangover.
Got out in 1970 but went back as a reserve for some cash. I couldn't believe how bad it had gotten. Seemed everyone was drunk or stoned.

My computer/electronics area is right next to my machines. When I'm done on the mill or lathe I'll sit in front of the computer where a jug of J D is within reach.
From here I can admire the work on the machine and bang on the keyboard.

I did time in Army between 73 and 75 at Fort Bliss Texas, imagine the excesses available. I remember getting out of a Duce and a half and throwing up on my E-7's shoe.

Carld
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
The last place I worked had a machinist that was drunk all the time. Most the time he just had enough to make him good to be around. When he was sober he was hard to work with and when he was REAL drunk he was hard to work with. When he was just slightly intoxicated he was one of the best machinists you could ever find. He was fast and VERY good and that's why the owner kept him. He and the owner had many arguments when he was very drunk. The owner finally fired him but that was after many, many years.

After Neil was fired many times we had beer in the company fridge and I and others would have one beer at lunch. none of us had more than one beer during the day. We never had a problem since it was consumed with our lunch.

Now that I am retired I have a beer or two at lunch and it does not affect me but the third beer would and I will not work in the shop in that event. One beer has no effect on me at lunch but the second puts me in a mellow mood. I slow down and think more about what I am doing rather than just plunging ahead when I have not had a beer.

I think that as long as you know how it affects you and when not to work you will be ok. It's the people that don't or won't understand the effects of drinking that are the ones that have problems. There are those that even one beer puts them under the table with or without food. A friends wife was like that, one drink and she was drunk.

Dr Stan
08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I did time in Army between 73 and 75 at Fort Bliss Texas, imagine the excesses available. I remember getting out of a Duce and a half and throwing up on my E-7's shoe.

If that's all you did then you were a "good boy" :D

Too_Many_Tools
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
An observation...many medical drugs that people take warn about driving a vehicle while using them.

I would think that working with power tools why under the influence of those drugs would be a serious safety issue.

Alcohol is not the only drug that can get you wrapped around a lathe.

TMT

Toolguy
08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Shooters have a saying that applies equally well to machining.
Alcohol and gunpowder don't mix - it won't shoot and it tastes terrible!

dave5605
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I've always been a beer drinker. Less so as I get older. However I have always had a rule that no drinking (by anyone) when using any kind of tools out in the shop. Particularly power tools. No working on cars either.

I live by myself and figure the cat isn't going to be able to save my butt or know I forgot to come in the house at the end of the day and come see what's wrong.

That infamous picture on the net of the guy wrapped around the lathe chuck was enough to convince me when I got a lathe last year.

My son harps at me every time he visits about getting rid of the lathe. He really worries about me and that spinning chuck. I make sure to wear short sleeves, tucked in shirt, and no jewelry when in the shop.

I've has some real close calls doing other stupid things in the shop without adding alcohol to the mix. The beer does come out when I'm finally sweeping up though and putting tools away.

Rustybolt
08-27-2010, 05:44 PM
The last place I worked had a machinist that was drunk all the time. Most the time he just had enough to make him good to be around. When he was sober he was hard to work with and when he was REAL drunk he was hard to work with. When he was just slightly intoxicated he was one of the best machinists you could ever find. He was fast and VERY good and that's why the owner kept him. He and the owner had many arguments when he was very drunk. The owner finally fired him but that was after many, many years.

After Neil was fired many times we had beer in the company fridge and I and others would have one beer at lunch. none of us had more than one beer during the day. We never had a problem since it was consumed with our lunch.

Now that I am retired I have a beer or two at lunch and it does not affect me but the third beer would and I will not work in the shop in that event. One beer has no effect on me at lunch but the second puts me in a mellow mood. I slow down and think more about what I am doing rather than just plunging ahead when I have not had a beer.

I think that as long as you know how it affects you and when not to work you will be ok. It's the people that don't or won't understand the effects of drinking that are the ones that have problems. There are those that even one beer puts them under the table with or without food. A friends wife was like that, one drink and she was drunk.

I think I told this here before.

Back when I was a lowly T & D apprentice I worked in a shop where everybody in the shop floor was from Germany or Holland. I was the only local person.
Every morning, sitting on whatever machine you were working on, was a shot of schnapps. Iwas too young at the time so the forman got a double shot.

Too_Many_Tools
08-27-2010, 07:05 PM
When one does drink, how much is too much?

Should one use the guidelines that states use for defining DUI's?

If you aren't supposed to be driving, then you shouldn't be in the shop.

TMT

madman
08-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Well yes quite drunk at times yet ??? sometimes Not drunk enough to go out there. Anyhow depends on youre tolerance I guess. Where I worked at a Aerospace Machine shop with NO exageration i saw top level Guys passed out drunk while there cnc Machines were running. (60 Horsepower Toshida 4 axis cnc Mills)Holy cripes this is suposed to be Aerospace>?>> Funny Managment knew about this but... Anyhow I no longer work there as I walked out one day and quit after 15 years.

cuemaker
08-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a very good friend who is a custom cuemaker....he is in his late 60's now....

Not a night that i worked in his shop that he either snorted some coke, smoked weed or both. He wasnt much a drinker..

He claims that he has been using one or the other since he was in Vietnam and its what gets him through the day. If he didnt have any of either...he was a grouchy son of a bitch...

Cuemaking is much more tactile that just simple metal working.... Very common to touch a cue spinning at 800-1000+ rpm to feel it/ use sand paper etc......he has all his fingers, no major scars or anything... never seen him even hurt himself really...

I myself dont drink or anything funny...but i am addicted to soda...

KIMFAB
08-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm out here in the desert where you need to drink a lot of water.
Used to drink pop instead until my second kidney stone cured me of that.

gda
08-28-2010, 09:54 AM
One or 2 for me is the limit, and then I limit my work to running the horizontal band saw or fitting up weldments. More than that it is just shop clean up.

Liger Zero
08-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I am a lightweight when it comes to drinking.

One beer every two hours is my "heavy drinking..." Or if I'm doing research on the computer I have about two fingers of gin, some lemon juice and fill the rest of the glass with soda-water, and I'll drink a couple of those. No harm in googling under the influence... :D (tall glass at that, so it is REALLY watered down)

Out in the shop though... No drinking around the machines. I am very strict about that. No high/no drunk. Seen too much bull**** over the years.

Rookie machinist
08-28-2010, 11:42 AM
We have "happy hour" down at my shop, the neighborhood knows that at 4 the machines go off and the beer comes out. It's a great way to have my neighbors help clean the shop too.

the kid
08-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I will always drink beers while in the shop, I find it nice to have one on hand to sip on, especially in a unairconditioned garage, generally a beer in the shop will last me from 1 to 1 1/2 hours sometimes as much as 3hrs, would I work drunk? No, will you ever see me in the shop without a beer close by? also no.

You should definitely speak with your friend about his problem, don't stand idly by and let him get hurt or killed because he drank too much and ran one of the machines, as the booze companies say DRINK RESPONSIBLY!

David Powell
08-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Over 30 yrs ago I worked in a local Amusement Park. My co workers made potent home made wine and liberally offered it to all of us, most lunchtimes we had a glass or two. I will skip the full story, but will say that I managed to shoot about 98 BB pellets into my right hand, I still have 2 firmly embedded where no doctor wishes to venture. Every time I am offered an alcoholic drink while doing anything remotely like I need my wits about me I look at my right hand, notice the two little bumps and say" I would love one, lets finish the job first"Regards David Powell.

MickeyD
08-28-2010, 09:25 PM
A beer or two or three really helps on shop cleanup days, but it does not really help me with precision work. But if I was having to use a Bridgeport, I don't think a six pack would make any difference...

spope14
08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Nah, not the best idea in the world to get blasted and work on machines.

steverice
08-29-2010, 01:34 AM
If that's all you did then you were a "good boy" :D

That was only one instance, we would stand for inspection with 3 or 4 ounces of pot in our fatigues.

While working on a Top Secret missile guidance system I was driving the company captain out to White Sands one morning at 3:00am I was still tripping on acid from the evening before. Luckily the road from El Paso to White Sands was straight as an arrow with only one curve. Being pitch black with only the jeeps headlights illuminating the oncoming reflective stripes on the road made it seem as if I was like driving into an empty void, soon the stripes turned into a serpent dancing in front of the jeep. I just held on to the wheel and did my best to keep the jeep going straight.

One of the best light shows I've ever seen.

That was a long time ago.

Dr Stan
08-29-2010, 11:02 AM
That was only one instance, we would stand for inspection with 3 or 4 ounces of pot in our fatigues.

While working on a Top Secret missile guidance system I was driving the company captain out to White Sands one morning at 3:00am I was still tripping on acid from the evening before. Luckily the road from El Paso to White Sands was straight as an arrow with only one curve. Being pitch black with only the jeeps headlights illuminating the oncoming reflective stripes on the road made it seem as if I was like driving into an empty void, soon the stripes turned into a serpent dancing in front of the jeep. I just held on to the wheel and did my best to keep the jeep going straight.

One of the best light shows I've ever seen.

That was a long time ago.

Sounds like you were right there with the rest of us. :eek:

MarkBall2
08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Growing up on a farm in Nebraska as a step-child, dad & I had our fair share of problems.

16 years old, I quit school & dad kicked me out of the house. I moved in with a friend of mine who's dad was an alcoholic. Payday's were Fridays (he was a welder & making dang good money), but no money was to be had by Monday. Landlord would come by for the rent, there was no money, kids were hungry, there was no money. Got to swiping his wallet & taking money out for rent & food, dear old daddy would be drunk the rest of the time & not know what was going on.

Fast forward a few years, entered the Air Force at the tender age of 18, bought my first "legal" beer at the age of 19 (Nebraska's legal age was 19 at the time), next beer I bought was when I was 21 years old & after a combat patrol in the Far East.

I didn't like living with an alcoholic when I was a kid, refuse to associate with them now & rarely drink alcohol myself to this day. Last beer I had was in 2007, last mixed drink I had was in 2009. Mostly because I learned I can live without the stuff, but in some cases I don't like the taste. I've even been refusing the soft drinks lately.

Nope, there is no alcohol in my shop, behind a wheel, carrying a weapon or anytime something requires concentration. Too many things can happen that can totally ruin your life, whether an accident, a ticket, or getting wrapped up in a machine. As a nurse & former EMT, I've been there, done that, don't need to see it again.

Bill736
08-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Back in my younger days ( i.e. teenager ) we used to work on our cars until late at night, and consume reasonable quantities of beer in the process.
( Purchased by the one guy who was over 21.) Nowdays, I find that I cannot drink any alcohol at all and still make good decisions in my workshop, so I leave the beer until after I'm done for the evening. (It does make me wonder just how many alcohol induced mistakes I made working on my cars as a teen. ) This seems like the perfect time to tell an old joke on this subject, perhaps courtesy of W.C. Fields; " I just can't drink and work at the same time anymore. So, I had to cut way back on the work."

gnm109
08-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Back in my younger days ( i.e. teenager ) we used to work on our cars until late at night, and consume reasonable quantities of beer in the process.
( Purchased by the one guy who was over 21.) Nowdays, I find that I cannot drink any alcohol at all and still make good decisions in my workshop, so I leave the beer until after I'm done for the evening. (It does make me wonder just how many alcohol induced mistakes I made working on my cars as a teen. ) This seems like the perfect time to tell an old joke on this subject, perhaps courtesy of W.C. Fields; " I just can't drink and work at the same time anymore. So, I had to cut way back on the work."

Paraphrasing: "Everyone needs something to believe in. I believe I'll have another drink."

You know when you think about it, alcohol is deadly. For example, everyone who ever took a drink up to the year 1900 is dead now. It must be pretty bad.

Peter.
08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
If drinking and smoking were invented today - they'd be banned right away :)

Too_Many_Tools
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
FYI...

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201433200;_ylt=Ak8Son1Akvi40xcECL3_o7qReZd4;_ ylu=X3oDMTM1dHBvZTVlBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA4MzAvMD g1OTkyMDE0MzMyMDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMx BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaGVhdnlkcm lua2Vy

TMT

Rustybolt
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
FYI...

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201433200;_ylt=Ak8Son1Akvi40xcECL3_o7qReZd4;_ ylu=X3oDMTM1dHBvZTVlBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA4MzAvMD g1OTkyMDE0MzMyMDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMx BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaGVhdnlkcm lua2Vy

TMT

Don't just stand there.
Start pouring!

winchman
08-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I haven't been "under the influence" at all since 1966, which is when I got knee-walking drunk under the watchful eyes of my student nurse girlfriend and her RN mother. It was a wonderful experience, and apparently it was enough to last me a lifetime.

It was probably in the mid '70s when I had the last of several well-spread-out sips of a mixed drink. The few times I've had a beer, it's been only one, and the last time was in the early '90s. I've got nothing against people drinking as long as they don't pester me to join in or put me in danger. I'm just totally not interested.

A.K. Boomer
08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Im guessing most of the time I have a little hobby project planed I end up drinking between a couple to 4 beers --- I have been inebriated while milling and for sure don't make a habit out of it as it's been few and far between - Years ago I did a "shop evaluation" and got totally tanked and high as a kite to boot, the next morning I awoke and knew I was down there but didn't know quite what all I did - then I remembered naming my vise "Mussolini" and stamping it into it ------- I freaked out in not being sure how to spell it and thinking I might have gotten it wrong so I head down to the basement and then see my dictionary strewn under the work bench ---- ahhh what a relief,

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/DSC00292.jpg

also a relief to know that I did not fire up a single motor that night - but my thumb hurt a little for some reason...

I don't drink when using a flycutter or boring head or anything of size - I also don't drink when turning my mill into a lathe as I feel chucks are very dangerous, but drinking and machining can be great fun if you know what operations you will be doing and therefor what kind of tooling, (like little 3/32" endmills) then its just stuff like remember to take your drawbar wrench off and try not to get your hand caught in the step pulley system :p
To tell you the truth im more concerned with going up and down the steps after a few beers cuz I get rambunctious and try to take 3 or 4 steps at a time... I have twisted my ankle that way.

gnm109
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Im guessing most of the time I have a little hobby project planed I end up drinking between a couple to 4 beers --- I have been inebriated while milling and for sure don't make a habit out of it as it's been few and far between - Years ago I did a "shop evaluation" and got totally tanked and high as a kite to boot, the next morning I awoke and knew I was down there but didn't know quite what all I did - then I remembered naming my vise "Mussolini" and stamping it into it ------- I freaked out in not being sure how to spell it and thinking I might have gotten it wrong so I head down to the basement and then see my dictionary strewn under the work bench ---- ahhh what a relief,

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/DSC00292.jpg

also a relief to know that I did not fire up a single motor that night - but my thumb hurt a little for some reason...

I don't drink when using a flycutter or boring head or anything of size - I also don't drink when turning my mill into a lathe as I feel chucks are very dangerous, but drinking and machining can be great fun if you know what operations you will be doing and therefor what kind of tooling, (like little 3/32" endmills) then its just stuff like remember to take your drawbar wrench off and try not to get your hand caught in the step pulley system :p
To tell you the truth im more concerned with going up and down the steps after a few beers cuz I get rambunctious and try to take 3 or 4 steps at a time... I have twisted my ankle that way.

Nice story. How did you get the letters so straight whilst drunk? Make me wonder if you are pulling our collective lower extremities.

Why did you choose Mussolini? Was the vise made in Italy? If I wanted an Italian name, I would have named it Beretta, you know, something useful and handy......Mussolini.....yeah, I guess you were drunk.

That amazing thing is that you would tell anyone something like this. Good thing you don't know how to use a tattoo gun. LOL. :)

A.K. Boomer
08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
First off you have to understand that I don't drink to enhance my milling experience -- I bought a Mill to enhance my drinking experience.

Secondly I did a write up on this after it happened entitled "naming your shop tools"
It appears im not the only one who names their shop tools as the response was overwhelming - Now maybe I took it a step further in stamping it into the vise itself but in my defense you need to re-read ---- I was high a kite too.

I chose Mussolini because he was a dictator - vises are kind of that way - a good vise always has the last word, (although it didn't work out to well for the person)

Last but not least the lettering is about as perfect as you can get - I really don't exactly know how I did it because again I was blitzed out of my gord and high as a kite.
I can tell you that the letters have the exact spacing as their square outer drive shafts allow them to be placed next to each other so I think I stacked and clamped my parallels in line with the vise and not only used the square drives against them but also used the last stamped letter to hold that stamp and set up the next stamping procedure/letter -- once again pretty good for a guy who was blitzed out of his gord and high as a kite...

madman
09-16-2010, 06:46 AM
You get used to it over a 36 year period.

ulav8r
09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Occasionaly under the influence of stupidity or duh.

fredwillis
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
If beers or some nips of hard stuff are going down in the shop the only power tool running is the shop vac. I'm not a prude just want to keep machine repair and medical bills down. No need to turn my little slice of heaven into hell.

Carld
09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Yep, today I had a beer with lunch and took one to the shop to sip on as I was doing a customer job. Had no cut's, bruises, or other injuries and I felt fine about doing my work :D .

There must be a lot of people that can't handle a beer and still walk, talk and or think clearly or know when to stop drinking or working if drinking.

I feel sorry for them.