PDA

View Full Version : OT: Laptop question

DICKEYBIRD
08-29-2010, 08:20 AM
SWMBO has decided she needs her own laptop.

With our budget constraints, I would like to do as I have always done in the past with our regular desktop PC's and get a refurb unit. It just needs to run XP and connect to our wireless network to surf the web/Facebook/email/etc. I have several PCMCIA wireless adapters so it doesn't have to have onboard wireless capability. It definitely does not need huge HD capacity and blinding speed.

Does anyone here have a favored model/brand/supplier of said device? Price & reliability are my highest concerns.

RTPBurnsville
08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
I have purchased several IBM laptops from www.datasales.com with good results. Most have been off-lease machines and carry a short warranty period. They also have 'B' grade machines which typically have a few minor marks but work just fine.
Robert

cuemaker
08-29-2010, 08:43 AM
If you are talking about parts for desktops...www.newegg.com is the place to shop...(along with tigerdirect...or fry's if you got one local)

You can keep the case you got, maybe the power supply, and just buy a motherboard, cpu, memory (maybe the memory you got now is good?). Keep the hard drive?? but hard drives are cheap. Should be able to get it done for less than 300... they also have refurbed machines and compete machines...

I too am currently dealing with a wife that want a laptop... except that we already have a laptop and 2 quadcore desktops in the house..the laptop has a broken screen, which i cant find the replacement for...

tmc_31
08-29-2010, 08:59 AM
DB,

Last year I bought my daughter one of those netbooks, an ACER I think. It was only about $250.00 or so. It has been great, she has gotten a lot of use out of it. Not much memory or HD space, but she mostly only surfs with it. It has a very small screen and is hard for me to read (old eyes). But it has a small footprint and is easy to carry. I believe HP has a couple of these also.

Tim

airsmith282
08-29-2010, 10:25 AM
i never buy refurbs my self cant trust them , with over 20 years in the computer business for experience to back it up to , we tried them once and ended up with more hassels , but then again, you buy a new one and its about the same now adays,

now in my opnion i like dell products and MSI , number one choice for a system thats just used for your purpose id go MSI, gamming dell all the way, the HP and compact systems are my 3rd choice and acer is the bottom of the list and only if nothing else can be gotten..

you only want an IBM if your rich cause when they break parts are not cheap batteries dont last long but they are decenty built

if you like apple products,aka macintosh then id defently go the route ,

prices on all pcs mac or windows are getting way to cheap in price even new so its very east to afford new now adays and you get warrantys to which help and are most times used more often now then back years ago. only cause crap aint built to last long no more..

any how just a few ideas for ya

MaxHeadRoom
08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I have bought several Laptops for the company and friends off one of one the ebayer's with good F.B. dealing in these.
The one I have picked as being extremely reliable is the DEL Latitude D600 that has should have the qualities you want.
They are cheap and plentiful.
Max.

J Tiers
08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
+1 on Latitude D600.

Main problem is the tiny screen and poor resolution compared to new ones.

Also most have the bare minimum menory needed to make XP function. That is true of nearly any refurb, may or may not be true of one bought from a "person".

ANY used laptop needs a new battery, if not now, then soon. Get used to it.

I see the D600 available for $150 to $300. Bought mine near the upper price from Inkstop as a Dell refurb (Inkstop is long gone). predictably, it had 500meg, and the battery died in 6 months. Still like and use it though.

Many have wireless in them, which is a big plus

Dumping on all refurbs is not the mark if intelligent thinking, I am afraid......

DICKEYBIRD
08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks one & all!

I lean towards Dell myself as all the (admittedly old) desktops and one laptop I have now are all Dells. They have all been reliable servants.

I think I'll look around for a Latitude D600 and see what comes up.

lakeside53
08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I just went through this for a neighbor. Ended up with Lenovo ( "IBM") E550. 3G ram, 160G drive, 2.2G processor, Windows 7, one year warranty -$399 from Egghead. Ships free..

lazlo
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I just bought my Wife a Dell 15R, which is the Inspiron (mid-range) line. 15" screen, Nehalem dual-core, 6 GB memory, extended battery -- it's a very nice laptop, for $550 with free shipping.

They start around $450, and if you watch for Dell sales/coupons, they often have $100 off a loaded model.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/inspiron-15r?c=us&l=en&cs=19
http://i.dell.com/das/dih.ashx/314x314/images/global/products/314x314/inspiron-15r-right-black-alternate-314.jpg

I've had really bad luck with HP laptops. They have the worst warranty repair rate in the business. My Wife's previous laptop was an HP Pavilion, and it lasted 18 months before the LCD panel literally delaminated from the case (it was never moved off the kitchen table, not abused). I haven't had much better luck with Thinkpads since IBM sold them to the Chinese.

The Acer that tmc mentions seems like a good, solid laptop.

Circlip
08-29-2010, 12:04 PM
the laptop has a broken screen, which i cant find the replacement for...

Tried these Cuemaker??

http://www.lcdparts.net/Default.aspx

Regards Ian.

goose
08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Craigslist if you're looking for an in-expensive laptop with the capabilities you need. Maybe $75 to $150 dollar range for used.

However, I, personally, think that's a false economy, when new laptops start at about $399 now. Consider reliability, performance, and ease of use. WiFi is built in in virtually all new laptops.

Gary

dp
08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds like all she needs is an Apple iPad.

MaxHeadRoom
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
One seller I dealt with included the D600 docking station, this takes a few seconds to convert it to large screen, printer, full keyboard and mouse,extra ports etc, if you wish.
I have also seen them as low as $12.00.
Max.

Too_Many_Tools
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Laptops are great for portability...not so in terms of repairing and upgrading.

I have a laptop (Latitude L400) now whose backlight is died...while the screen still works.

So where does one find the parts if available?

It would be a non issue with a desktop.

FWIW...the best time to buy computers is now (students going back go school) and during Christmas. One has to check prices hourly during these times as vendors compete for your money.

If you can wait till December, I think you will find some screaming deals since chip vendors are drowning in chips because of the down economy.

TMT

J Tiers
08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
If you can wait till December, I think you will find some screaming deals since chip vendors are drowning in chips because of the down economy.

TMT

Don't be too sure..... almost everything electronic as far as parts is on 52 week backorder now, because nobody is MAKING chips, they KNOW they can't sell them.

Tons of companies have delayed new product releases, since they could not get the back-ordered, pre-allocated chips and parts. if they were not already using the parts, they don't get any allocation.

Too_Many_Tools
08-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't be too sure..... almost everything electronic as far as parts is on 52 week backorder now, because nobody is MAKING chips, they KNOW they can't sell them.

Tons of companies have delayed new product releases, since they could not get the back-ordered, pre-allocated chips and parts. if they were not already using the parts, they don't get any allocation.

But Christmas waits for no man. ;<)

Vendors HAVE to sell boxes during Christmas..it forces their hand.

In some retail sectors, Christmas is 40-90% of their annual business.

As you said, new product releases are delayed...so what?

What new software is out there that REQUIRES a new generation of chips?

Nothing.

Last year I bought a netbook during the Christmas crazies...for 35% of what you could buy it before or after (including now) Christmas.

We are in a deep recession where the customer and his cash is KING.

Consumers are sitting on their cash and only spend it when a GOOD sale happens.

Did you notice what happened to house sales the moment the Government tax credit ended?

Companies have dug in for the duration and are holding prices until they are forced to cut them for a short period..and when they do, that is the time to move.

Again, the two best times to buy a computer is when the students go back to school (now) or when Christmas happens.

FYI...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7175313.html

I expect this Christmas shoping season to be a free for all for computer shopping.

TMT

lazlo
08-29-2010, 04:54 PM
almost everything electronic as far as parts is on 52 week backorder now, because nobody is MAKING chips, they KNOW they can't sell them.

Very true. Intel, AMD, Nvidia... all took major losses in Q2, and it looks like it's going to be worse in Q3 -- no one is buying high-end consumer electronics during what's looking like a world-wide double-dip recession.

spope14
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Last year in June I had to buy a work computer, dual core Lenovo with 4 gig memory, cost me about $1100.00 with XP. August 2009 I had to buy the daughter a laptop for college, Windows Vista or 7 as I recall, 8 gig memory, huge hard drive, quad core, $599.00 Asus better than my Lenovo by leaps and bounds.

Laptop prices are tanking right now, and Sys 7 allows for upgrades that make a computer viable for many years over just a few years, and hardware is matching the new demand for several years of use rather than two to three.

I would buy new, and I heartily suggest Asus or MSI, I have bought both and am happy. Buying a refurb is just about $100.00 less at this point, you can pick up some good stuff in the $500.00 range in my area...new.

Too_Many_Tools
08-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I agr
Last year in June I had to buy a work computer, dual core Lenovo with 4 gig memory, cost me about $1100.00 with XP. August 2009 I had to buy the daughter a laptop for college, Windows Vista or 7 as I recall, 8 gig memory, huge hard drive, quad core, $599.00 Asus better than my Lenovo by leaps and bounds.

Laptop prices are tanking right now, and Sys 7 allows for upgrades that make a computer viable for many years over just a few years, and hardware is matching the new demand for several years of use rather than two to three.

I would buy new, and I heartily suggest Asus or MSI, I have bought both and am happy. Buying a refurb is just about $100.00 less at this point, you can pick up some good stuff in the $500.00 range in my area...new.

I agree.

I would also think hard about what you do with a computer.

I bought a netbook last Christmas and it has done everything I have asked of it.

FYI...computer vendors HATE netbooks....because they have much less profit margin than the other cash cow laptops that they would rather have you buy.

With this recession, we are in the middle of another shakeout of computer industy.

TMT

macona
08-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Keep an eye out for sales. Couple of friends of mine got a 17" Toshiba laptop at Walmart for $349. Cant even consider a refurb at that price.