PDA

View Full Version : Whoa. Déjà vu. What did you just say?

EddyCurr
08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
There was a glitch in the HSM matrix just now.

The following thread was at the top of the first page

stuck camlock lathe chuck (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=41818)

I post to the thread, scroll down the first page and move on to the
second, where I find

stuck camlock lathe chuck (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=41818)
sans my post.

A quick check notes the duplication of the posts and post times,
demonstrating that the thread was not a dupe created by the OP.

The occurance on page 1 had my post appended to it, the occurance
on page 2 did not.

dp
08-31-2010, 12:55 AM
That's odd because your post came just before my post but I didn't see it. Your post and my post both suggest a wooden dowel :)

EddyCurr
08-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Tank: "Main power offline. EMP armed and ready."

EddyCurr
08-31-2010, 01:07 AM
DP, do you see the dupe instance of the thread on page 2?

I suspect that the forum indexes may need attention.

EddyCurr
08-31-2010, 01:11 AM

The 'Last Post' column on page 2 indicates 'Yesterday'. Yet, clicking
into the threads, I find that several of the last posts are dated 6.05.2010.

tyrone shewlaces
08-31-2010, 01:13 AM
All your base are belong to us.

dp
08-31-2010, 01:22 AM

Nope - your cache is pwned!

EddyCurr
08-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Corrective action ?

(Besides clearing the cache, that is.)

Evan
08-31-2010, 01:52 AM
There have been other glitches for quite some time now. On a very regular basis I will refresh a thread that I left my browser sitting on and a new reply comes up. I make a reply to that one and it refreshes when I post it. Then, and only then, I see one or two other replies that were posted well before the one I just posted but they did not show up the first time I refreshed.

Sometimes it makes my reply either redundant or appear to be ignoring the other posts.

Another glitch is that the number of views to a newly posted thread does not update until somebody posts to it. If nobody does it finally updates after 1 hour but then it waits another hour unless someone posts.

In the past I have complained about other matters to the vBulletin support people and they do not seem very concerned. The other matter was that I discovered a way to crash Internet Explorer by posting something that I will not explain here. All I will say is that the something is invisible and dead simple.

Also, the clock is not reliable and that will put posts out of order. That problem has been around for a long time and on one occasion it totally scrambled this forum.

Another issue is the highlighting of threads that have new posts. It isn't reliable and it seems to be phase of the moon dependent. Also, if a reply I post results in a rollover to a new page it stays highlighted for me even though I posted it and it doesn't de-highlight until somebody else posts.

dp
08-31-2010, 02:41 AM
A lot of those updates are event driven by opening the web page which lights off a bunch of PHP code that hits a MySql database. Some sites are so busy that this background operation bogs down the server.

My solution was to have the web server on a different machine than the database server as local network latency is not as bad as an overloaded system. I do that on my spam/virus systems, too. Two systems send/receive mail and two other systems to the filtering of content over the local network.

Where I work we have a large web farm of virtual windows machines running IIS. All the data bases are Linux. Big IP workload levelers are on the front end and balance requests across the farm. It looks like one big fast server to the Internet. And that doesn't include all the static content that is served by Akami caching servers. There' lot of PN junctions involved - it's still amazing to me that it all works.

Black Forest
08-31-2010, 06:25 AM
What I have noticed, if you want to post a reply it kicks you out and you have to re-log_in after a very short time.

dp
08-31-2010, 10:37 PM
What I have noticed, if you want to post a reply it kicks you out and you have to re-log_in after a very short time.

You have to allow cookies and click the "Remember me" box when you log in.