• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arthur.Marks
    • Mar 2010

Knurl pitch: in industry, how specific are knurling spec's on print

For those with industry experience:

How specific is "standard practice" WRT knurls. How many prints call out a specific pitch figure---and not just diamond, straight or cross?
  • Arthur.Marks
    • Mar 2010

To clarify: which is standard practice?

* Diamond Knurl, medium pitch
    * Diamond Knurl, 30tpi

In other words, calling out "medium pitch" allows you to use a range of similar pitches, whereas the latter specifies an exact pitch to use.
    Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• TGTool
      • Aug 2005

We always just called out "knurl" and let the toolmakers apply whatever they thought worked best. I never saw anything more specific on any tool drawings I ever encountered.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• ckalley
        • Nov 2002

We have parts where I work now that are knurled. On the drawings they call out the pitch of the knurl and the style - "25 pitch straight knurl" for example. Also, we have some parts that are knurled for a press fit and they also have a tolerance on the OD after knurling.

Other places, that were less 'formal', would just call out something like 'medium diamond knurl'.

Craig

Comment

• Rich Carlstedt
          • Jul 2001

All the above are correct
          Knurling is a non-precision operation and as such few 'controls" are of value

When precision is required, a "Machine cut" pattern is spelled out and then you use a (powered) indexer and milling cutter. Fortunitly, This is seldom !
          Such a call out gives ID, OD, pitch ,LOC, Cutter Profile to use, and sometimes the sharp edge radius (!)
          As such, the only drawing I can recall was for steel drive roller which fed oily steel blanks into a punch press. It looked like a simple knurl, but the dimensions were tightly controlled, and the profile had a Buttress thread appearance
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
          X