PDA

View Full Version : tips

gentjim
11-29-2003, 03:34 AM
dec jan 2004 vol 16 no 6 Lowell P. Bracxton Sir page 2 please use washers.page26-1&6 deleat rocker on toolpost, page-29-8 invest in stepblocks. J. Lowell Boyer Lake Almenor ca.

docsteve66
11-29-2003, 05:45 AM
Thanks, You are probably correct but I have reservations. A few more details please.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

John Stevenson
11-29-2003, 06:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gentjim:
dec jan 2004 vol 16 no 6 Lowell P. Bracxton Sir page 2 please use washers.page26-1&6 deleat rocker on toolpost, page-29-8 invest in stepblocks. J. Lowell Boyer Lake Almenor ca.</font>

????????????????????????????????

Not quite sure on your bid but I'll raise you two page 19's and the third advert off page 89.

John S

docsteve66
11-29-2003, 07:06 AM
Clearly, john, you are not reading will comprehension. Instruction is to use washers and invest in stepblocks. I still have reservations. WTH, Called- show your hands or go over the rules again. I am confused.

BFHAMR
11-29-2003, 10:21 AM
refers to the latest issue of Machinist's Workshop.

JCHannum
11-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Thank heavens, I was about to notify Homeland Security as I thought it was some diabolical code.
The gentleman seems to be referring to technique used to hold work for machining. I agree, step blocks and washers might help, but on the other hand, using bits and pieces of scrap for packing is a tried and true machinist tradition. Deleting the rocker from the lantern toolpost makes it nigh on impossible to set the cutting tool on center.
In the same vein, the article on tapping in the lathe, I feel, is off base in that not supporting the tap with the tailstock center when tapping under power is inviting disaster. The tailstock should be advanced by hand, keeping the center lightly engaged with the center spot in the tap. I also do not rest the tap wrench handle on the carriage, but use a short handle wrench that will clear the bed, hold it in my hand so that it can be released and swing free if the tap binds.
The method proposed is a sure fire tap breaker.

BFHAMR
11-29-2003, 12:07 PM
I did like the article on the small compound angle vise. I just might have to make one of these. (sigh), add one more to the list.

JCHannum
11-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Make my vote twice that the vise is nice.

gentjim
11-30-2003, 01:08 AM
The use of a rocker is to invite a prob. To use a ring for the correct higth when useing carbide tools is safer,and useing HSS you can resharpen .030 low and use a shim. Always use the largest tool that will fit in your lathe tower.