PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change Toolholders

wbleeker
09-04-2010, 03:50 AM
I am interested in getting some CXA holders from CDCO but am not sure what block they fit as there is none mentioned? or do they fit the AXA or BXA block? Which would be handy as I would be able to have a selection of different size toolholders.
Will

Black_Moons
09-04-2010, 03:54 AM
CXA holders only fit CXA blocks. If you really must use oversized tools in your lathe, you must mill/file/grind out a holder thats the same line as your block. Or just mill down the tool.

You can however hold smaller tools in a holder without problem, as they have vertical adjustment
Also, what size block you can use is dictated by the size of your lathe, mainly the height from the centerline of the spindle to the compound.

BadDog
09-04-2010, 04:06 AM
This is correct, they only fit the block designated.

I use over sized insert holders ALL the time. Even on my 11" Rockwell with AXA post, I used 1 and 1.25" shank tooling. I just milled it down to fit (1/2" tall in that case) by cutting off 1/4 off the profile. I left the lip overhanging as it did not interfere, and would add some support should I ever need extreme stick-out. Now with my CXA I can use up to 3/4" in the common blocks, but still have a few of the big shank tools mounted. I find that 1/2" (and even 3/4") shank tooling tends to demand something of a premium due to the HSM crowd. But the 1"+ shanks often go without a single bid. I've gotten quite a few of the more expensive name brand holders for $5-10 that way. 5 minutes with a Carbide EM takes care of that, and you have industrial tools with full support for replacement inserts, clamps, anvils, etc

EVguru
09-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Do CDCO sell the correct length holders?

Some suppliers have AX holders with BX dovetails (presumably to save metala and money) and the length of the holder seems to be the one dimension that's never listed (even by Aloris and Dorian) so you can tell.

I've just changed from a Dickson T2, to a Dorian BXA that I found on ebay for US$125 in almost mint condition. Even with shipping, VAT and the Parcel Force handling fee it was a pretty good deal, but the four new unmarked Chinese holders that came with it were short and with pretty grotty screws.

Chronos have the propper length holders and they're quite nicely made with reasonable screws as standard. One of the machinists at work was struggling with a limited number of T2 holders and management was reluctant to shell out for extras, but I managed to swing a deal where they will buy me some cheap BXA holders from Chronos and I'll exchange them for Dickson holders.

wbleeker
09-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Thanks for that everyone, my lathe is 17inch swing by 40 inches between centres and already uses tools of 7/8" shank size however I have lots of smaller size toolbits so I may get a BXA set and fit that as the toolholders are half the price of CXA ones.
Will

MrDan
09-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Acronyms. Mam I've still got a lot to learn, I didn't follow one bit of that.

oldtiffie
09-04-2010, 08:13 AM
I am interested in getting some CXA holders from CDCO but am not sure what block they fit as there is none mentioned? or do they fit the AXA or BXA block? Which would be handy as I would be able to have a selection of different size toolholders.
Will

Will.

Is this any help?

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=bxa+tool+holder+dimensions&aq=2sx&aqi=g-sx1g-s1g-sx1&aql=&oq=cxa+too&gs_rfai=&fp=2887b69bb73dd8af

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&q=axa+tool+holder+dimensions&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=axa+tool+holder+dimensions&gs_rfai=&fp=2887b69bb73dd8af

EddyCurr
09-04-2010, 12:32 PM
If you really must use oversized tools in your lathe, you must mill/file/grind
out a holder thats the same line as your block. Or just mill down the tool.Dorian offers oversized holders that accept larger tool shanks.

For example, a CXA #1S Turning/Facing holder accepts a 1.00" tool shank
(a conventional CXA #1 accepts a 0.750" tool shank.) An AXA #1S accepts
0.750" (standard is 0.500") and a BXA accepts 1.00" (standard is 0.625")

There are also oversized boring bar holders. A CXA can accept up to 1.50",
a AXA up to 1.25" and a BXA up to 1.50"

Perhaps mfrs of clone holders also offer similar oversized models ?

EddyCurr
09-04-2010, 12:39 PM
... however I have lots of smaller size toolbits so I may get a BXA set and
fit that as the toolholders are half the price of CXA ones.What about insert selection, life and price?

My conclusion was that the smaller tool holders confine one to a reduced
selection of insert profiles/coatings and that fewer surplus buying
opportunities present themselves.

Black_Moons
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for that everyone, my lathe is 17inch swing by 40 inches between centres and already uses tools of 7/8" shank size however I have lots of smaller size toolbits so I may get a BXA set and fit that as the toolholders are half the price of CXA ones.
Will

Well, might need a CXA for that, Or at least you might need to shim your BXA toolpost higher to get the proper adjustment range.

I think CDCO was one of the companys that sells the 'extra long' BXA holders.. Not to sure, you could drop them an e-mail and ask.

Oddly: my Phase II holders that game with my toolpost are hardly bigger then the toolpost, much smaller then the import holders I got. Oddly enough, they do use bigger setscrews however.. With a diffrent alen required of course.

wbleeker
09-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone, yes I am about to send an email to Frank at CDCO. Toolholders that fit the larger toolpost block and take varying size toolbits is a good idea, for instance a 3/8 square HSS toolbit ground with a radius on it dosen't need to be in a toolholder that takes a 1" square toolbit when a smaller one would suffice! Its fathers day here so Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers! I am in hospital with a bad back so a bit of online shopping therapy might be a good thing!
Will