PDA

View Full Version : one more steady

Tony
11-29-2003, 11:01 AM
am considering building another steady rest for my lathe.. one that attaches to the 'back'.. where the spindle bore comes through.

maybe copy my own steady and use 3 ball bearings that i can close in.

i have difficulty at times boring/taping the ends of long slender shafts.. being able to handle the things out the back of the lathe might be a big help.

problems forseen?

Fred White
11-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Why not make a "lantern chuck" that attaches to the spindle ( on the outside end of the lathe ) and has three or four bolts in it around the perimeter( sort of like a steady rest )to keep the long stock from whipping around . Since it attaches to the spindle and the part is in the spindle, there is no relative rotation between the two items - thus no bearings needed. I made mine out of nylon and it just slides on the spindle tube.

Hope this description is sufficiently clear.

JCHannum
11-29-2003, 11:39 AM
The device on the outboard end of the spindle is also called a cat's head for some obscure reason.
It works very well for items that are somewhat longer than spindle bore. If you are dealing with very long pieces, an outboard steady rest is a good idea to prevent shafting from whipping around. As such, they are frequently seen on screw machines.

John Stevenson
11-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey JC that's a brilliant idea.
Get one of next doors cats, they have 1,000's of the damn things, stuff the long bar up it's backside and out it's mouth then rivit it's arse to the end of the spindle.
That's a *real* cats head.

JCHannum
11-29-2003, 12:51 PM
John; I get the impression you share my feelings on the value of cats.
Used in the manner described, a remarkable dampening effect would be provided. After the initial installation that is.

John Stevenson
11-29-2003, 01:43 PM
JC,
But the real value though with having a neighbour with 10,000 cats [ don't they breed fast ? ] is that you can have one per size. Like a deluxe furry collet set.
Probably have to keep them on a rack outside though because of the smell.

Bruce Griffing
11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
If you are consistently using the same size material, you can just make a plug for the outboard end of the spindle with an axial hole of the appropriate size for your material. I made one from delrin. I turned a shoulder on the plug, with the OD of the section below the shoulder to match the spindle bore. Just adjacent to the shoulder, I made it a little large and it kind of snaps in place. It takes a little pull to remove it - that was just what I wanted.

Ian B
11-29-2003, 04:33 PM
John on the moggy collets - some lathes have them as standard equipment.
Clawsings, if I remember correctly...

Ian

JCHannum
11-29-2003, 06:33 PM
I would think that they would work more on the order of Jacobs Rubberflex collets, in that one would fit a wider range of sizes, eliminating the need for inch & metric.
At any rate, it is getting colder here, and outside storage would be a plus. Perhaps hang by the tails from a clothesline affair on pulleys. It would not be too difficult to make an automatic carrousel to dispense as needed.

Paul Gauthier
11-30-2003, 02:23 PM
I like the Jacob's rubber flex collet idea, suppose one were to mount the collet chuck on the outside end of the spindle, naturaly care should be take to make sure it runs true. and the largest diameter should be just under the spindle I.D. what do you think????

------------------
Paul G.