PDA

View Full Version : People who neglect tools should be .........

loose nut
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
On Saturday I was at the Steam Era show at Milton Ont. Can.

For those that like this kind of thing there where about 15 full sized traction engines, most in steam, including a very large Fowler plowing engine, and maybe 10 more scale models, 1/4 and 1/3 scale, mostly in steam.

There where antique cars, old gas engines of every variety, tractors and other antique farm and industrial equipment.

There was also a small flee market with used equipment, mostly farm but there was a guy selling old lathes.

1 Myford Super 7 in good condition

1 70's or 80's vintage Southbend about 13 x 40" (squarish headstock not the older 9 and 10H models)

1 Craftsman 6" model

1 old (around 1900) lathe of 13 to 14" x 40ish size very good condition for it's age

and 1 old 9 " flat belt lathe, unknown make in pretty good condition looked like low usage

Now for the maddening part, it was raining most of the day and this equipment was out doors some of it sitting in the mud and you could literally see it rusting. There was no protective grease on the bare metal and nothing to cover it and keep the rail off.

What kind of idiot lets his equipment get damaged like that when he wants to sell it. Flogging is to good for this guy.:eek: :confused: :mad:

dp
09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Here in Washington state there is the very old and once thriving town of Molson. It isn't quite a ghost town yet, but close. It has an outdoor museum that has quite a lot of rare hardware, mostly exposed to the harsh weather. http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/moalbum.htm

There are several hit 'n miss engines that have been picked over by looters and vandals and lay rusting. Last time I was there it looked like pretty much everything was beyond salvaging.

DR
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
.................................................. ........................

What kind of idiot lets his equipment get damaged like that when he wants to sell it. Flogging is to good for this guy.:eek: :confused: :mad:

The plus side to this kind of behavior is it lowers the price for buyers.

A related example: my across-the-street neighbor constantly complains about the sad state of repair and the poor remodeling work the previous owner of his house did. I have to keep reminding him of what a bargain he got on a basically sound house. He only paid around half what the house would have brought if it was perfect.

Too_Many_Tools
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM

For those that like this kind of thing there where about 15 full sized traction engines, most in steam, including a very large Fowler plowing engine, and maybe 10 more scale models, 1/4 and 1/3 scale, mostly in steam.

There where antique cars, old gas engines of every variety, tractors and other antique farm and industrial equipment.

There was also a small flee market with used equipment, mostly farm but there was a guy selling old lathes.

1 70's or 80's vintage Southbend about 13 x 40" (squarish headstock not the older 9 and 10H models)

1 Craftsman 6" model

1 old (around 1900) lathe of 13 to 14" x 40ish size very good condition for it's age

and 1 old 9 " flat belt lathe, unknown make in pretty good condition looked like low usage

Now for the maddening part, it was raining most of the day and this equipment was out doors some of it sitting in the mud and you could literally see it rusting. There was no protective grease on the bare metal and nothing to cover it and keep the rail off.

That's what resellers/flippers do....

He will wipe off what wipes off, wire brush the rest, spray some more paint on it and show up at the next show with his "Grandpa only used it on Sunday" rare one of kind Old "they don't make it like this any more" Iron...and likely raise his prices.

Never mind that rust never sleeps...and corrosion continues in all the machine's hidden locations.

Resellers do not care.

They are only in it for the money.

That is just one big reason why I made it a point to buy my used American iron from their original owners...who are much more likely to have given their machines some loving care.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Not from what I have seen.

Prices at shows are never the bargains you will find local.

TMT

Mcgyver
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I was at the show, what a great collection......tsk tsk on the myford owner but it looked more like a few spots of surface rust than any big problem.

that minor infraction aside, I left just amazed at the collective effort there is in keeping the hundreds and hundreds of antique engines, tractors and traction engines in such fine form.

After seeing them live, the compulsion to model them is strong.....maybe a Titan or Rumely tractor....there were a lot of Rumely's, must have been a big seller it its time

loose nut
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM

What is scrap metal going for now that is what it will be before long the way he treats it. All of this equipment would still be serviceable to someone in a small hobby/repair shop.

Black_Moons
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Pertty sad really when a can of LPS3 + a tarp can keep basicly all the rust off for $20. If it was me, id not even show up if rain was predicted. Or buy one of those 3 way surround canopy carpark deals.

boslab
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
the sad truth is that the scrap metal industry has destroyed countless examples of engineering at its best, i work in a steelworkks that makes about 5Mt per annum so the machinery it has digested really offends, ive rescued most of my workshop from scrap bins! including rotary tables, surface plates, milling machines, lathes, milling cutters, ang i cant remember what else!
regards
mark

aboard_epsilon
09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
i have about 40 wood chisels ..find them at car boot sales for as little as 10 pence each ..
they are in the eye of the sellers "buggered"

in my eyes they are great .....they are rusty ..that wire brushes off
they have been used for stirring paint ..that comes off

they have been used for applying polyfiller and plaster and car body filler..that comes off on the wire brush

they have been used as a cold chisel........that is corrected on the surface grinder ..

then sharpen them up ..and they are good as new...and good to go.

all the best.markj

boslab
09-06-2010, 04:50 PM
strange you mention woodworking tools, i picked up a really tidy 1 1/2" sorby paring chisel for abot 50p last sunday, i'd be lost without my sunday rummage session!
regards
mark

J Tiers
09-06-2010, 10:38 PM
yep....

I see the same thing. Micrometers..... a few visible rust spots, but they are locked up solid.

Those folks keep the stuff in plastic tubs. When it rains, the tub gets water in it...... which is not dumped. or not dumped soon enough.

The same folks think every 1" 0.001 Starrett mic with scratched and worn steel anvils is a rare piece of super duper equipment. And, to the tool collector, who is never going to use it, but just "owns" it, I guess it is as good either way, working or not.

Those mics are a "drug on the market" anyhow.....

hey, a lot of those scrap sellers have no idea what they have, really, no idea how to use it, or even what it does, sometimes. They don't see "a little rust that wipes off" as affecting anything.

it's something for an out-of-work ditchdigger who finished the 3rd grade to do....... in between having bar fights that account for the 5 remaining teeth.

oldtiffie
09-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Here is the title of the OP:
"People who neglect tools should be ......... ".

Here is its text:

1 Craftsman 6" model

Is it really the business of anyone else but the owner of "abused??" tools as to how he treats (or "mistreats"?) those tools?

I think it isn't.

Saying whether you like it or not is probably OK, but contemplating what to do to cause the owner to comply with something in that regard against his wishes is "interfering".

I could not care less about how others use or treat their tools, but I do get less than pleased if any stick their nose in uninvited with me in that regard.

wierdscience
09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
As for ruining perfectly good machinery there is no bigger offender than the US Federal Government.

A stroll though Government Liquidators website is an eye opener.

It must sit out and rust before they can sell it-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=3582121

And Horizonal mills should be just that-horizonal-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=3562489

Same for vertical mills so the taper gets good and pitted-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view_photo?eventId=5423&lotNumber=6360&picNumber=4

Of course the more complex the machine,the more rust is needed-

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=3604332

Evan
09-06-2010, 11:38 PM
His tools, his money. It is just a lump of metal that someone was paid to build. What happens to it doesn't concern me at all. I don't get sentimental about things and have never been one to give names to objects. I used to warn my computer customers not to give their computer a name because then they might start to think of it as a human and expect it to be reasonable. It is called anthropomorphizing the object by assigning it quasi human traits. Bad plan in my book. They are just machines and the only value they have is the utility they bring to me.

J Tiers
09-07-2010, 12:08 AM
His tools, his money. It is just a lump of metal that someone was paid to build. What happens to it doesn't concern me at all. I don't get sentimental about things and have never been one to give names to objects. I used to warn my computer customers not to give their computer a name because then they might start to think of it as a human and expect it to be reasonable. It is called anthropomorphizing the object by assigning it quasi human traits. Bad plan in my book. They are just machines and the only value they have is the utility they bring to me.

I think you missed the point altogether. BOTH you and Tiffie......

Anthropomorphize, andersondoorize. Got nothing to do with it.

The thing to get mad about is that here is a device you would like to buy for its utility...... Something you do not see that often, perhaps.......

So here you are, and there is one of the unusual thing you want to buy and use...... But you can't, because some 5 toothed moronic son of a monkey absolutely ruined it by setting it out in the rain to rust solid, and the SOB does not even know he ruined it.

So you find one, and it's no &^%$ good because of the idiot who owns it and still wants to sell it to you for top $$.

THAT is what is the irritating thing.

That and people in general breaking useful things by pure ignorance and neglect........ it's like leaving the faucet on all day while you are at work... a useless waste of resources.

doctor demo
09-07-2010, 12:12 AM
As for ruining perfectly good machinery there is no bigger offender than the US Federal Government.
A stroll though Government Liquidators website is an eye opener.
It must sit out and rust before they can sell it-

Sharp Army Depot just outside Stockton has a Gov. Liquidators warehouse on base right across the street from where the Army starts the rusting process before they turn it over to the auction liquidators to kill off anything the Army missed. What is really sad is the pictures look better than the equipment does in person, there is no way of knowing how many seasons have passed from the time the picture was taken and the auction starts.

Steve

RetiredFAE
09-07-2010, 12:24 AM
This one appears to be in HI and doesn't look too rusty, considering its location.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3608243&convertTo=USD

Mcgyver
09-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Is it really the business of anyone else but the owner of "abused??" tools as to how he treats (or "mistreats"?) those tools?

I think it isn't.

His tools, his money. It is just a lump of metal that someone was paid to build.

hold on you cowboys, there's a point of principal hear that makes these sentiments dead wrong.

This has come up before so is tired but......

No one exists in isolation. Your existence depends on being part of a social system with which there are obligations, a social contract. This is nothing to do with the law (which accounts for very little of how we actually behave) but by what's right...what's legal is shallow and irrelevant, we're talking right and wrong.

Of course judgement/opinion on whats right will vary ....BUT....the above quotes claim there is NO obligation. That's just not logical, and the ones that truly believe that are so antisocial they're probably locked up somewhere.

For example two areas where there may be an obligation; posterity and economics. Posterity if the item has scarcity and economic in that destroying items of value reduces the nation's wealth. Maybe the obligation is extremely small, infinitesimal, and destroying it won't matter on any level ....however destroying it because the social value is infinitesimal is completely different from claiming its ok to destroy it simply because you can. That's the talk of to-hell-with-the-world nutbars which doesn't apply to you guys.

To be sure, there are lots of arguments as to why a social obligation was extremely small and/or couldn't be met; a lathe bed rusting is hardly a matter of national concern and maybe its wornout and worthless to begin with....however the point is not the magnitude of the obligation, but that you wrong in saying the obligation is zero or non existent.

airsmith282
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
i take care of all my tools and if i do break one i fix it if its fixable or buy a new one but i try not to break them but sometimes crap happens ,

snowman
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
So here you are, and there is one of the unusual thing you want to buy and use...... But you can't, because some 5 toothed moronic son of a monkey absolutely ruined it by setting it out in the rain to rust solid, and the SOB does not even know he ruined it.

So you find one, and it's no &^%$ good because of the idiot who owns it and still wants to sell it to you for top $$.

THAT is what is the irritating thing.

So you move on to the next reseller.

J Tiers
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
So you move on to the next reseller.

onay eadray?

What part of "something you do not see that often" did you somewhere miss? Did I type that part in arabic by mistake?

It's not a case of moving on to the next booth because you won't see another one of those gizmos this year. Or maybe even next year.

I have useful tools that I bought and have NEVER seen another one of.

And I certainly have seen stuff that I could have used, wanted to buy, but didn't buy because the seller, or the person before him, screwed the thing up, bent/broke/let rust/whatever. In some cases that was the ONLY one I have ever seen.

lazlo
09-07-2010, 09:23 PM

it was raining most of the day and this equipment was out doors some of it sitting in the mud and you could literally see it rusting. There was no protective grease on the bare metal and nothing to cover it and keep the rail off.

See, what they should have done is strip those rare tools, cars, and machines, and part them out on Ebay :p

Deja Vu
09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
By letting them out in the weather, the seller was playing for sympathy and that several wealthy(and wise) buyers would jump in to save the lot!

wierdscience
09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Sharp Army Depot just outside Stockton has a Gov. Liquidators warehouse on base right across the street from where the Army starts the rusting process before they turn it over to the auction liquidators to kill off anything the Army missed. What is really sad is the pictures look better than the equipment does in person, there is no way of knowing how many seasons have passed from the time the picture was taken and the auction starts.

Steve

AFB near here used to have live voice bid DRMO auctions last Sat. every month before GL took over.

They had everything outside,except for clothes and boots.The items up for sale one month were lined up in rows in a big parking lot.The items for sale the next month were 10 feet over surrounded by yellow caution tape.

One month I went and the following month's auction items included a Hardinge vertical mill,bench model,on the bench cabinet with the cabinet full of tooling and collets.Probably one of everything Hardinge made for it included.

It was perfect,clean and well kept.Until they let it sit outside for a month,in the salt rain we have on the coast.The following month it was there,everything red with rust,tooling soaking wet in the drawers:( Nobody even bid.

snowman
09-07-2010, 09:57 PM
onay eadray?

What part of "something you do not see that often" did you somewhere miss? Did I type that part in arabic by mistake?

It's not a case of moving on to the next booth because you won't see another one of those gizmos this year. Or maybe even next year.

I have useful tools that I bought and have NEVER seen another one of.

And I certainly have seen stuff that I could have used, wanted to buy, but didn't buy because the seller, or the person before him, screwed the thing up, bent/broke/let rust/whatever. In some cases that was the ONLY one I have ever seen.

Are you looking?

Or are you looking for the mint condition never used surplus tool that goes on sale for pennies on the dollar?

It's not hard to find any of this stuff...but you have to pay for it...and you might have to pay to ship it.

oldtiffie
09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I can't see what all the "drama" and concern is about.

Whether some one looks after or neglects his tools is his business as they are his tools to do as he wishes with them.

I don't see that anyone else is accountable to me or me to anyone else in these matters.

I don't think that I am a trustee for someone else who may think he has a right or lien over me or my tools so that he can pick and choose as he likes as and when it suits him.

I can confidently say that by and large my tools are in very good order and condition.

I never trade any in on a new or other tool and I never sell any. On rare occasions I may give some away. Mostly I cut or break them so that they cannot be re-used and then part them out in separate lots for the local land-fill disposal or for scrap.

As I "write off" all the stuff I buy as soon as I buy it, it has no monetary value to me. None of it has any sentimental value either. Its just a "tool" to be used and put away for future use or disposal.

If it all vaporised today I would not miss it - at all - and as it has no likely significant monetary return, I won't miss any money that might otherwise be realised from it either. The relatively small amount of money that I might realise is not worth the effort and concern about a lot of people that I don't know "having a look" and calling at all hours.

If I was told today that I could not use my shop or tools ever again - or if I decided it for myself - I would walk right away from it, never miss it, and set about disposing of it.

I have no issue or concern about how others may or may not look after their tools nor how they acquire of dispose of them as that is their right.

So far as I know, I have little or nothing that is unique and most if not all of it should be available from others that choose or have to sell for one reason or another in one way or another - as that is their right.

Deja Vu
09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
None of it has any sentimental value either. Its just a "tool" to be used and put away for future use or disposal.

I don't believe you......maybe little, but certainly not any.;)

oldtiffie
09-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Might be hard to believe for some - but that's how it is.

I said what I meant and meant what I said.

To me it has no sentimental or intrinsic value other than things to be used or disposed of as, how and when needs arise.

When it happens, I will have some good memories - but no regrets.

J Tiers
09-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Are you looking?

Or are you looking for the mint condition never used surplus tool that goes on sale for pennies on the dollar?

It's not hard to find any of this stuff...but you have to pay for it...and you might have to pay to ship it.

OK, you have your mind made up.

Have a nice life.

loose nut
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM

To me it has no sentimental or intrinsic value other than things to be used or disposed of as, how and when needs arise.

Your missing the point Tiffie, it's not about being sentimental, it's about perfectly good equipment that someone is trying to sell but is destroying it before he does. There are lots of people on this forum and elsewhere that can't afford new equipment but would really like to have some good used equipment and get pissed of to see what they would like to have ruined before they are able to get to it.

I still think we should horse whip, keel haul and then skin them alive. After that we can get real midevil on there useless a$$e$

oldtiffie
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by oldtiffie

Your missing the point Tiffie, it's not about being sentimental, it's about perfectly good equipment that someone is trying to sell but is destroying it before he does. There are lots of people on this forum and elsewhere that can't afford new equipment but would really like to have some good used equipment and get pissed of to see what they would like to have ruined before they are able to get to it.

I still think we should horse whip, keel haul and then skin them alive. After that we can get real midevil on there useless a$$e$

As I am not trying to sell it - at all - I can't see that the comment is or can be directed at me.

As I also said, while my stuff is in very good order, there is not much if anything about it that is unique or such that it would attract a premium bid or asking price.

That being the case, the stuff I have is pretty common in many shops and on many selling sites, sales or auctions. So, if I destroy mine its only a matter a moving on and waiting.

Given the likely circumstances that caused me or my Carer or (Power of) Attorney or my Executor to get rid of the tools and machines in my shop, I can well do without any hagglers hustlers or any other who bully or "come on strong" to get something for too low a price, and Dealers and EBay re-sellers etc. Its better, easier, cheaper and less upsetting to do as I intend. I can do without all the "new best friends" that many of these disposal sales attract as well - same as people who turn up "out of the blue" and try to coerce ("con") me or my disposer that they are my "special friend" that I had "promised" the tools they want for nothing or very little with a hand on heart "assurance" they they will give those tools of mine "special care" and will never sell them on for profit.

And pigs might fly.

I especially dislike some of the "gloats" that I see posted here occasionally as they can be devastating for the seller in the circumstances in which they find themselves and when they'd tried their very best only to see or hear of themselves being ridiculed and belittled by "buyers" who were not what they purported or made themselves out to be.

Verb: to gloat (third-person singular simple present gloats, present participle gloating, simple past and past participle gloated)

1.To exhibit a conspicuous sense of self-satisfaction, often at an adversary's misfortune.

gloat (glt)
intr.v. gloat·ed, gloat·ing, gloats
To feel or express great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction: Don't gloat over your rival's misfortune.
n.
1. The act of gloating.
2. A feeling of great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction.

and a further selection:
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=gloat+definition&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=gloat&gs_rfai=&fp=3c94bedd4a0a6bc7

Too_Many_Tools
09-08-2010, 06:08 PM
As I am not trying to sell it - at all - I can't see that the comment is or can be directed at me.

As I also said, while my stuff is in very good order, there is not much if anything about it that is unique or such that it would attract a premium bid or asking price.

That being the case, the stuff I have is pretty common in many shops and on many selling sites, sales or auctions. So, if I destroy mine its only a matter a moving on and waiting.

Given the likely circumstances that caused me or my Carer or (Power of) Attorney or my Executor to get rid of the tools and machines in my shop, I can well do without any hagglers hustlers or any other who bully or "come on strong" to get something for too low a price, and Dealers and EBay re-sellers etc. Its better, easier, cheaper and less upsetting to do as I intend. I can do without all the "new best friends" that many of these disposal sales attract as well - same as people who turn up "out of the blue" and try to coerce ("con") me or my disposer that they are my "special friend" that I had "promised" the tools they want for nothing or very little with a hand on heart "assurance" they they will give those tools of mine "special care" and will never sell them on for profit.

And pigs might fly.

I especially dislike some of the "gloats" that I see posted here occasionally as they can be devastating for the seller in the circumstances in which they find themselves and when they'd tried their very best only to see or hear of themselves being ridiculed and belittled by "buyers" who were not what they purported or made themselves out to be.

and a further selection:
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=gloat+definition&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=gloat&gs_rfai=&fp=3c94bedd4a0a6bc7

Well said.

I have a special dislike for flippers and resellers.

Many seem to be the scum of the Earth.

I have been at several funerals where people have approached me about buying the items that the deceased owned....thinking that I will grease the skids for them to get a bargain.

F*$&%g vultures.

When I watch the Christmas Carol from Charles Dickens, there is a scene where Mrs. Dilber (the patron saint for flippers/resellers) sells Scrooge's clothes while they are still warm to Old Joe.

If Scrooge had a shop, she would be selling his machines before they had stopped turning...

TMT

J Tiers
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM

So stay OUT of it already, then.

You and Snowman have your minds made up that we are out to skin old widows.....

Nope, we are commenting about the idjits who let a really nice piece of equipment get rusty and "froze up", and don't even seem to realize that they have changed the value from considerable to "scrap".

Snowman was even worse than you.... slyly accusing me of being a cheap-ass chiseler. Thanks for nothing, Snowman........

just about all the equipment I have I have re-built, repaired, etc. Much of it I had to take completely apart and replace many parts, re-scrape, etc. I have ONE piece of new equipment, a belt/disk Delta chinese sander. It was worth it's low price....'nuff said.

I have one piece that was already re-built when I got it... I paid top dollar for it, and have not regretted that since.

I'll take on many things, but I have limits.... when some "hoosher" lets decent fixable stuff rust solid, and STILL wants the same money as for an at least usable piece (sometimes more), AND it is the only one I have seen, yes I get mad.

I get mad because he is a fool who ruins stuff to no purpose. And I get mad because he may talk some mark into buying the worthless scrap.

You don't like it, you get to lump it. I make not so much as one apology for my opinion.

oldtiffie
09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
JT.

I can't see that "getting mad" about anything really solves anything much at all - especially stuff in or for the shop that others may own or have and which they may or may not put up for sale.

Most of the stuff for sale - good or bad - is sold on an "as is, where is" basis. So you either take it - or leave it.

If I were a seller of tools that are in such a condition as you judged were sufficient for you to "get mad about", and if you berated, harangued or lectured me or mine - you would be - to put it politely - asked to leave - pronto - and told in no uncertain terms that you will have no trouble under-standing - to not come beck - ever.

But on the other hand, if your were polite and said that it was a shame that tool was in as bad a condition as it is as you really did need or want one, I would go out of my way to have a look and see if I or friends of mine had a better one that might suit you and would get back to you.

I prefer a civil approach, but in the event that I have to cope with an uncivil one, I will deal with that as quickly and as comprehensively as the situation requires in a cool and measured manner.

I don't need you to either tell me to ".. stay out of it already, then." or to tell me what I think. If you want to know what I think - ask a direct question and I will give you a direct answer.

You and Snowman have your minds made up that we are out to skin old widows.....

Snowman can speak for himself if he chooses.

Circlip
09-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Fine line ain't it? Some pick up near perfect machinery for peanuts and gloat about their latest aquisition then complain about the demise of the counties manufacturing base. Others troll for compliments on their "Rescue from the scrap heap" of a basket case and yet the other faction who say "If thine eye offends thee Bu**er off and get a life. :rolleyes:

Regards Ian.

Rustybolt
09-09-2010, 08:04 AM
So.
How many of those machines did you 'rescue'?

J Tiers
09-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Tiffie:

You certainly ARE "on a roll".

First I skin old widows, NOW I give all the bad vendors lectures. Is there anything else you'd like to accuse me of?

Do I sponsor international terrorism? I suppose that's next.

You are NOT improving your image at all, as if that matters. You'd be asked to do something, alright, but merely leaving would not be it. Generally you are a helpful sort. But when you get into "machinery politics", there is trouble. A certain tendency to drop explosives into outhouse pits.

As far as lectures, I think you have the wrong person. I'm more of a "direct action" type.

In these cases, IF ASKED ABOUT INTEREST, I would probably say, frankly, that I'd be very interested except for the fact that the thing was allowed to rust and is now too far gone. No I am NOT interested, except for parts. If pressed, I'd mention my (very low) offer.

But, of course, if you HAD let the things get that bad, I wouldn't bother to lecture you. Why bother? Anyone who does that is a "moron", and I'd probably not come back in any case. Those sorts don't know what they have, don't know anyone else with better ones, don't know what it is for, and only know that they "have XX in" it and won't sell for less.

Not that it's a problem, since you couldn't do anything about me being there in the first place. Normally these morons are at flea markets, and they don't have any say whatsoever about who walks by or looks. They don't own the place. So you'd have to put up with me in any case.

have a nice life.

BigMike782
09-09-2010, 11:03 PM
My take on it is I would pity this guy for not having sense enough to protect the product he is trying to sell.I wouldn't be mad I would shake my head in disbelief and move on.

To me there is a big difference in sellers too.There are some that buy and sell to help support a hobby or it is a business but the have a genuine interest in whatever it is they buy and sell.Then there are the guys that are pimps......"I don't give a rats patoot about anything but making money.I had one of these pimps call me about some hard to find items I had.I told him I would gladly sell them to him.......for four times the going rate.

The above is my opinion,if you don't like it or disagree with it that's fine because you probably have an opinion on a subject I disagree with too and you know what,the world will continue on either way.:)