PDA

View Full Version : Older Modine or new Hot Dawg

J Richardson
09-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi,

Trying to finish up my shop before the snow flies and as work allows, and am having second thoughts about heating. I had picked up a mid 90's 75k BTU Modine heater and had planned to install it, but realizing how much 5" pipe I'll need above the shingle line, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a 75k BTU Hot Dawg from Modine. The better efficiency, along with the 3" power exhausted horizontal vent are really enticing. So, stick with the old, or sell it and buy new? Would like some input, as I plan to finish the ceiling OSB this weekend, and will have to install a vertical vent for for the old furnace if I go that route.

Thanks,

John

Bob Ford
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
John,

I installed the Sterling, which is a upgraded of the Modine about 3 years ago. 22 X 22 shop. It is up high in a corner, thermostat on far wall. Installation was not complicated. Has performed flawlessly. I liked the outside air side vent feature and not having to cut a hole in my roof. I leave the thermostat at about 60.

OSB is not good to slow a fire also off gassing in a enclosed work space might not be healthy. Are you sheetrocking over?

Bob

Bob Ford
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
This is a link to the one I bought. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heaters4.shtml

Dave P.
09-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I have a Hot Dawg, had it about 7 years now. It seems pretty efficient
and only problem was one failure of the ignitor. It was easy to change
and I don't remember it costing much.
Dave P.

rws
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
We've had a Hot Dawg in our green house for about 5 years, got it from "littlegreenhouse" too.

The power exhaust is a good feature, right out the side. In the green house, it's a moist environment and that has taken it's toll on things, but all in all the hot dawg has done well. I had to replace the exhaust fan itself, but other than cleaning, oiling is all that I've had to do.

gregl
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I bought the Sterling unit that draws combustion air from the outside. I didn't want any problems with using the air inside the shop for combustion since I sometimes paint in there and also do woodwork that could generate fine dust that could get into the combustion chamber. The Sterling was cheaper for this feature than any of the others, but I also bought the concentric vent kit which I think was a waste of money. The idea behind that is to allow only one hole in the building, but hey, it's only a shop and the extra hole is really no big deal considering the cost of the kit.

J Richardson
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi Bob,

I initially had planned on sheetrock, but OSB is easier. The fire prevention thing crossed my mind also, though. However, looking at other shops up here, it seems everyone is using OSB painted white, which is sturdy and looks good. Never thought of the outgassing. Formaldehyde, wasn't it? Something to think about.

John

BigMike782
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I have had a Hot Dawg heater in the shop for 7 or 8? yrs.I really like it with the exception that I have had to replace a PC board twice now.When the time comes to replace it I will get another Hot Dawg.

duckman
09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a clone of the hot dawg keep my thermostat about 52F, the only thing that I can add is to put snow splitter on your roof to protect your power vent, even tho in the UP you don't get much snow hahahahaha my nephew went to college up there and 1 over night storm dropped about 60" of the white stuff. :D

J Richardson
09-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi,

I've decided on a Hot Dawg. The HVAC people tell me that given my garage, 75k is too large, and a 60 K is almost too large. I always thought bigger is better. The garage is 24x32x10, with insulated windows and R13 in the walls and R44 blown in the ceiling. Biggest heat loss is going to be the 8x16 door. I'm also thinking about going with the outside combustion air option. Seeing as I am in Upper Michigan and it is sometimes 20 below for weeks at a time, do you guys think an HDS60 Hot Dawg can keep the inside a comfortable 70 if I need it to be? There isn't much difference in price between the different sizes. The heating people tell me that it is better on the heater and more efficient to have a smaller heater running longer than a larger one cycling steady. I am also thinking of facing the furnace away from the garage door toward my machine shop area, where I will be spending most of my time. Some people have told me to face it towards the door, as that is my area of greatest heat loss. That doesn't seem right to me. I just want to get it right the first time, and am looking for opinions.

Thanks,
John