PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport J Head Question

john hobdeclipe
09-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Were Bridgeport J Heads built in anything other than R-8 taper? Like, for instance, #30 taper?

Just wondering...about one that I looked at recently.

Thanks.

rustamd
09-10-2010, 12:19 AM
There are Erickson Quick change 30 spindles, but not sure if they were actual bridgeport option or aftermarket option.

wierdscience
09-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Ya the Errickson was one,there was also a Universal quick switch spindle.

v860rich
09-10-2010, 01:24 AM
I have a Bridgeport with the Kwik Switch spindle, of course the R8 is the one seen most often.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

krutch
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't really know, but the taper is in the spindle, which is replaceable. Whether or not a spindle is made to replace the R-8 with the taper you want, I can't say. I don't believe the quill is different but the bearings might be for the '30' spindle. The M head is another beast, the J head should be ok for that spindle.
The 'quick change' set-up moves the cutting action away from the bearings, ie less accuracy, more chatter. Those with this 'QC' set-up can tell you if they have that problem or if it is only in my mind. The mill I have, Willis Microcut, was available with the '30' taper and I dont think there was anything to change but the spindle itself. So, if you can find such a spindle you should be able to just change out the two.
That being said, I could be completely wrong. So what help is this!

Toolguy
09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
You can change out the spindle on a Bridgy or most copies by pulling the spindle out the bottom as a unit with the bearings attached. Once you've done it a couple of times and see how it goes, it's pretty easy. I can probably trade spindles in 15 or 20 minutes without hurrying any.

Forrest Addy
09-10-2010, 05:34 PM
For reason known only to the dolt who designed the R8 taper and collet system, the R8 taper is very slightly different from the 30MMT. One cannot be used wth the other with any chance of snug spindle tooling seating security.

If the tapers were the same and Bridgeport had the sense to make the R8 spindle nose with driving keys how much better the world would be. R8 collets and 30 MMT spindle tooling could be used at will. People owning Bridgeports would be a much less a prayerful folk because their spindles would have a positive drive. Face mills and saw arbors wouldn't slip - which makes prayerful folks curse when the prayers didn't work ("Don't slip! Don't slip! Oh God! Pon't slip! Please don't slip!" squeEAK!! Snap! Crunch! "Aw $#it! &*@%#!!")

And don't get me started on the collet index key.

john hobdeclipe
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
You can change out the spindle on a Bridgy or most copies by pulling the spindle out the bottom as a unit with the bearings attached. Once you've done it a couple of times and see how it goes, it's pretty easy. I can probably trade spindles in 15 or 20 minutes without hurrying any.

Do you know if a Bridgeport-built R8 spindle will directly interchange with the Erickson Quick Change spindle? Are the bearings and spacers the same, and is the quill nose piece the same. If I had the R8 spindle in hand would I have to buy anything else to make it work?

Thanks.

v860rich
09-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Do you know if a Bridgeport-built R8 spindle will directly interchange with the Erickson Quick Change spindle? Are the bearings and spacers the same, and is the quill nose piece the same. If I had the R8 spindle in hand would I have to buy anything else to make it work?

Thanks.

What I found out when I wanted to change from the Kwik Switch spindle to an R8 was it was going to be expensive, due to having to replace the bearings on the spindle.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Toolguy
09-29-2010, 12:21 AM
I have a spare quick change spindle for mine in case I ever want to go that route. They will trade back and forth just fine. However, some of the BP copies have slight variations so I wouldn't say ANY spindle will work, but probably most will. Yes the bearings are pretty high, but usually you can take them off the one spindle and put them on the other without having to buy another set.