PDA

View Full Version : Grinder motor RIP?

Tony Ennis
09-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Was using my grinder tonight. RPMs suddenly slowed by about 15%. I smelled something. And the grinder got hot.

It's this style (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=delta+grinder&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=13166913877201544674&ei=9qaJTL3OE4iewgWiu6GhAg&sa=image&ved=0CFQQ8gIwBjgA#p) but 6" with no frills at all.

Is there anything to do except pitch it? It's hard to believe I can replace the motor, even if I could find one to fit it, for much less than the cost of a new grinder.

wierdscience
09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Should be a split phase capacitor run motor,in which case it may just be the cap.Look for obvious damage to the cap,split melted case etc.

If it is the cap,get a run cap of the same rating and install it outside the case if you have to.AC supply houses,motor shops and Grainger all sell run caps.

J. R. Williams
09-10-2010, 01:13 AM
You have a candidate for a good exercise. Rewind the motor. Document the slot/coil group layout and strip out the old winding, carefully count the turns, and install the new coils. That should be a two pole machine (3600 rpm) and an easy wind.

JRW

Evan
09-10-2010, 03:52 AM
The wire will cost more than a new grinder. It is also a lot of time to spend especially if you haven't rewound a motor before. Rewinding is very handy if you need to change the operating chanracteristics for some reason but it isn't worth doing on something cheap like that machine.