PDA

View Full Version : Flashback arresters

Black_Moons
09-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi, I recently got a Micro oxy/acetylene torch, And was wondering: Where do I find flashback arresters that connect to the regulators? Since theres nowhere to connect them beween the torch and hoses (crimped on hoses)
Do I even need them?

oldtiffie
09-10-2010, 04:33 AM
I can only presume that they meet all the legal requirements of Canada and the USA, so, that being the case, the legal answer will be no ie you do do have to have them fitted.

I bought a new industrial O/A set (heating and cutting) as well as new made in the USA "Dillon"/"Cobra" O/A torch set and both sets came with flash-back arrestors.

I am pretty sure that are compulsory for industrial use here.

I ALWAYS have arrestors on my O/A sets - fitted at the regulator ends of the hoses - as I've seen what a flash-back without arrestors fitted can do. It didn't "explode" the regulators or the bottles but it made a big mess of the hoses.

Black_Moons
09-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Yea but where do you get that kind and how do you know your getting that kind? I just bought some generic ones and the 'flow arrows' on them show that they can only be used on the torch end...

oldtiffie
09-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Sorry - my careless mistake - as I meant and should have said to put the arrestors on the torch and connect the hoses to the arrestors as they will protect the hoses too.

PTSideshow
09-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Airgas has Western brand rebranded for their Randor brand.
They have torch style and they also have Regulator adapter style. Neither style are cheap
They have sets of both or each.
#64003942 (FA-30) set

#FA-130P Oxygen
#FA-230P Fuel gas

I'm sure that Praxair, or your LWS has them or can get them.
Western is the company that seems to make all of them. they also make the quick couplers. Also not cheap

macona
09-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Ii am guessing he has something like the Smith micro torch. They have little hoses that go to the handles.

One problem you might run into is a lot of the flashbacks incorporate check valves in them and at the low pressures and flows these little torches the check valve may cause some issues. I have one of the smiths myself with its own little MC and 20cuft bottle set.

loose nut
09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't know what the regulations are in other places but in Canada (business any way) you are required to have flashback arrestors on the torch and the regulators as well as a blow out preventor (shuts off the O2 regulator if the hose is cut) on the O2 bottle, these can be a combined unit with the regulator flashback arrestors.

As far as a home shop it may not be required but it is a good idea for the same reason it is requried in a commercial shop, Oxy/acet can be very dangerous.

squirrel
09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Mine are at the torch end, I am assuming that is correct. That seems to be the most logical place, it would make more sense to have flachbacks on both ends of the hose.

Toolguy
09-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I have them on both ends of the hose - just after the regulators and just before the torch handle.

8ntsane
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes , you should have them for your own safety.
Just call your local welding supply. they will set you up with what you require. and they will be able to inform you of exactly what is required by law.

Paul

MichaelP
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd, first, make sure the torch doesn't have built-in flashback arrestors. I doubt yours does, but some regular torches do.

If you need to install arrestors, do it at the regulator end. Not only because the hose is crimped at the handle, but also because you want to keep your micro torch being "micro" (light and small).

oldtiffie
09-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Ii am guessing he has something like the Smith micro torch. They have little hoses that go to the handles.

One problem you might run into is a lot of the flashbacks incorporate check valves in them and at the low pressures and flows these little torches the check valve may cause some issues. I have one of the smiths myself with its own little MC and 20cuft bottle set.

Good comment.

My "Cobra" aka "Dillon" O/A set runs are 4 psi (no - not a typo) and my anti-flash-back arrestors work fine and I have no gas-supply/flow problems at all.

PTSideshow
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
The bigger problem with the smith little torch, Is with some of the heavier duty larger, two stage fuel/oxy regulators that don't operate well under low pressure and small volumes of gas flow. They tend to flame out all the time, as the movement of the diaphragms is too fast or great

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/Tools/WElding%20equipment/DSCF9253.jpg

Smith little torch, with adapters and western quick couplers came in Randor packaging.

spope14
09-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I bought mine through Merriam Graves, now Airgas. Good to have. Six gas welding set-ups at our facility, all protected, one started the meltdown, the flashback arrestor worked. Hose non-functional, but the purpose met.

gnm109
09-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I got a set of these several years ago. They screw onto the regulators and then the hoses screw onto the arrestors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLASHBACK-ARRESTORS-HARRIS-FLASHGUARD-/320584217579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa44ef3eb

EddyCurr
09-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi, I recently got a Micro oxy/acetylene torch and I was wondering
where I find flashback arresters that connect to the regulators?...and how do you know you're getting that kind? I just bought some
generic ones and the 'flow arrows' on them show that they can
only be used on the torch end...Airgas has Western brand rebranded for their Randor brand.

They have Torch style and they also have Regulator style. Neither
style are cheap. They have sets of both or for each gas individually.

#64003942 (FA-30) set contains

- #FA-130P Oxygen
- #FA-230P Fuel gas

I'm sure that Praxair, or your LWS has them or can get them. Western
is the company that seems to make all of them.I second PTSideshow's post.

Sets will (should) be denoted as Torch Style or Regulator Style.

I have a set of Flashback Arrestors that came in Western Enterprises
packaging. Mine are Regulator Style, denoted as FA-30 (B-Size,
9/16-18 UNF thread). (The packaging mentions that the Torch Style
are model FA-10.)

Scroll down to the heading 'Regulator Flashback Arrestor' here at
Western Enterprises (http://www.westernenterprises.com/enterprises/flashback_arrestors.php) site.

WeldingSupply (http://www.weldingsupply.com) lists the FA-30 set for $44.

Perhaps you can return your Torch Style and exchange them for
Regulator Style units?

Black_Moons
09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I bought my torch style ages ago from I forget where. I think I paid like $50+ too for some generic ones -_-;

I think i'll go for victor
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VICTOR-FBR-1-FLAMEBUSTER-FLASHBACK-ARRESTORS-/400152011782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2aeb2406

Or hassis
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Harris-Flashback-Arrestors-Regulator-Type-/230509027186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab689f72

Rather leaning towards the harris as they only want $11.45 for S/H while the victor seller wants $27.58.

I assume harris is ok? Or is this some harris knockoff?

Black_Moons
09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
So no recommendation on what brand to buy?

PTSideshow
09-11-2010, 04:24 PM
As been stated in an earlier post they all seem to be western brand no matter what the package says. Don't think they will be any different re branded for Victor or Harris

Black_Moons
09-12-2010, 02:33 AM
K, ordered the harris...

Could'nt resist playing with my torch before they arrived however..

Managed to weld some steel strap togethor.. And melt some copper pipe. Copper melted supriseingly well, I wonder if you can oxy/acetylene weld copper pipe togethor... a useful skill im sure. lol.

macona
09-12-2010, 06:56 AM
You can silver solder it. Refrigeration guys use that silphos stuff but I have never gotten it to work for me.