PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Shop heating with small space-heaters

Liger Zero
09-10-2010, 06:49 AM
I have an assembly job coming up. Two molds making three parts, brass insert gets molded into one part, the others get "sonic welded" together then labeled, individually bagged and put into boxes for shipping

To meet demand I will have a part-time worker doing the press and sonic welding.

One thing I see coming is my shop is kind of chilly as the heating system (pipes in slab) isn't operational yet. Six weeks as an essential thingy (namely the heat-exchanger) arrived defective and a new one must be built and shipped.

Part time worker will be cold, and as such won't work as efficiently. Due to internal lubricants being jelled said operator will emit a high-pitched whining sound when in motion. :rolleyes:

I need a space-heater for the work area. Something that A) won't burn down the shop if left on for more than three hours B) doesn't consume ALL the electric power in the shop and C) is relatively "explosion proof" as there may be aerosols in use.

Weston Bye
09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
How big a space? Locating the operation in a smaller room (a tent on the shop floor?) will conserve heat and you won't be trying to heat the whole universe.

There is an oil-filled electric space heater that looks somewhat like the old steam radiators. It takes a little while to heat up, but provides uniform heat, and has no open hot element. In an enclosed space it works as well as any other heater. Watts is watts.

Liger Zero
09-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Not sure if enclosing an area with a tent is legal in this area. Not a bad idea though... I have to check with the fire marshal first though.

gary350
09-10-2010, 07:13 AM
I have a wood stove from TSC in my shop. The trick to heating and cooling is plenty of good insulation. I insulated the back side of the roll up metal door with 2" thick styrofoam, wow that made a really big difference it how easy it is to heat in the winter. If you keep the shop a little bit chili people will work faster for 2 reasons. #1 if they get hot they slow down. #2 if it is chili they work faster to get warm. 60 to 65 degrees F is best.

Weston Bye
09-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Not sure if enclosing an area with a tent is legal in this area.

I proposed the tent half in jest - just to give you an idea about heating a smaller area rather than using brute force. Good to see that you are considering the ramifications of my hasty considerations.

Liger Zero
09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I have a wood stove from TSC in my shop. The trick to heating and cooling is plenty of good insulation. I insulated the back side of the roll up metal door with 2" thick styrofoam, wow that made a really big difference it how easy it is to heat in the winter.

Now there is a good idea. I can do that in an afternoon. Rest of the shop is insulated.

If you keep the shop a little bit chili people will work faster for 2 reasons. #1 if they get hot they slow down. #2 if it is chili they work faster to get warm. 60 to 65 degrees F is best.

This is a woman we are talking about an older woman. As you well know they operate on the principle of Inverse Thermal Satisfaction. No matter what, they are the opposite of the current setting. You can run the A/C to -45 degrees and they will still be hot. You can put them in a heat-treat oven for eight hours and they will still be cold.

I figure a fan and a space heater at the assembly bench should keep said worker happy, let her figure out her optimum.

Liger Zero
09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
I proposed the tent half in jest - just to give you an idea about heating a smaller area rather than using brute force. Good to see that you are considering the ramifications of my hasty considerations.

I will give any idea due consideration. Being a Real Business Owner with Employees though... I have to think in terms of their safety.

****it if I get trapped in a burning tent as my shop collapses around me no big loss really. Same thing happens to a worker-person well I might get scolded by the legal system at best. :D

Gary, wood-stove is a good idea but this needs to be Worker-Person Friendly, I can't ask someone to keep a woodstove stoked during her shift. :)

tdkkart
09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I figure a fan and a space heater at the assembly bench should keep said worker happy, let her figure out her optimum.

Supplying both will make the worker person THINK she can make herself comfortable, which is most important.

ammcoman2
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
1500w infrared heater? I have one above my lathe in the unheated garage. keeps me toasty warm.

Geoff

BWS
09-10-2010, 10:14 AM
From a cheapchit Hillbilly viewpoint;I like those 10$ Halogen lights.But it has to be the exact right sq ftg.Forced my boys to put a heater core in their '91 Mustang....."sucky,yeah but you gotta do thing".....in Jan. one year.Threw a cpl those lights in gutted interior and before you know it theres 5 of their friends over laughin it up and somewhat enjoying themselves in our underground garage.I've used them in paintworld to good effect.BW