PDA

View Full Version : Buying North American

klemchuk
09-10-2010, 10:09 PM
In my quest to not buy Chinese, I bit the bullet and bought a Blake Co_Ax indicator.
Made in California.
It's as smooth as butter and I couldn't be happier with it.

Liger Zero
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah but it came from California.

That means it was assembled by illegal Mexican slave labor.

squirrel
09-10-2010, 10:18 PM
That is an excellent tool, just don't crash it. I crashed mine while aligning the turrent on our slant bed and had to send it back. Their service is excellent.

Arthur.Marks
09-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I didn't know Blake was the originator of those until just recently. I bought my SPI "import" (not the good kind...) version a long time ago. I've wished I could justify replacing it, but not at the moment. My SPI has a really soft thread on the tiny bolt that holds the indicator probe. That's been the largest complaint I have with mine. I've already stripped that bolt and replaced it once.

Enjoy your new time-saver! :)

gwilson
09-10-2010, 11:09 PM
The Blake is a very handy tool. I use it a lot when I want to center up a hole for boring accurately. The knock off's aren't usually spoken well of. SPI is liable to be made anywhere these days.

dp
09-11-2010, 12:24 AM
I came upon a post recently by John Blake, son of the late Mr. Blake. He seemed quite proud of his dad and his indicator. The Blake indicator is the prototype logo for my blog: http://metalworkingathome.com/

When you understand them well the brilliance of the design truly shines. A poorly made one is just so much junk.

lazlo
09-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I came upon a post recently by John Blake, son of the late Mr. Blake. He seemed quite proud of his dad and his indicator.

Where? On Practical Machinist?

Boucher
09-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I bought a knockoff and regret it. Mine also has really sorry screws that are the primary problem. Other than that it works. I have used a Blake and it is nice and smoothe.

vpt
09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah but it came from California.

That means it was assembled by illegal Mexican slave labor.

And it is known to cause cancer to lab animals and birth defects.

dp
09-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Where? On Practical Machinist?

http://www.craftkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/metalworking/10175/How-do-you-use-a-Blake-Coaxial-Indicator