PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and Protecting Aluminum Surfaces

Too_Many_Tools
09-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I have an aluminum roof that has become dirty and covered with mildrew/lichen that I would like to restore to its shiny self.

How would you recommend that I do it?

Also are there any type of treatments to keep it looking good afterwards?

Thanks

TMT

squirrel
09-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I would try the pressure sprayer first, then see how bad it is. Maroon Scotchbrite pads work very well and you will have a brushed aluminum finish.

Dr Stan
09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
TMT,

Is this a raised seam roof? I 2nd the pressure washer and you may even consider renting a steam cleaner, but am not too sure about the Scotchbrite. This would actually increase the surface area and in turn may cause more problems. If there is a surface coating or anodizing on the aluminum the Scotchbrite would probably damage said coating.

You may want to check with a local roofer to find out what is recommended.

If the roof is bare aluminum one thought is a buffer, metal polish i.e. Mother's followed by wax, or even clear polyurethane. You'd also have one huge job.

Circlip
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Build a wall all round the edges higher than the apex. Fill with Sulphuric (Sulfuric) acid, connect to mains electricity and anodise it in situ:D

Regards Ian.

Dr Stan
09-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Build a wall all round the edges higher than the apex. Fill with Sulphuric (Sulfuric) acid, connect to mains electricity and anodise it in situ:D

Regards Ian.

Don't forget to posts pics. :D