PDA

View Full Version : Wierd

loose nut
09-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Yesterday I finally finished my collet closer, nothing fancy just a hand wheel on the tube that screws into the collet, well a little fancier then that. The last piece to be made was the hand wheel which needed 6 holes for the bolts to go through to fasten it to the bearing carrier which fits over the outboard end of the spindle.

Last year I put a DRO on the mill and haven't needed the use of the built in functions of it, so I used the bolt hole function to lay out the holes, after it was centered under the spindle. Everything went well, the holes where drilled as where the holes on the bearing carrier, so now I just had to bolt the two pieces together. Shouldn't be a problem, right, except the holes didn't line up. Know matter who I rotated them it looked like the angular positioning of one set of holes were out. Frustrated I put it on the bench and went into the house.

Today, I headed to the shop to see how I was going to sort out this problem and when I picked up the closer and looked at the holes they where all line up just as they should have been.

I don't know if it was tired eyes or dirty glasses which where to blame but personally I think the faeries where messin' around in the shop last night.:confused:

Dr Stan
09-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I think the faeries where messin' around in the shop last night.:confused:

OK, I'll have to fess up. It was me. :D

Rustybolt
09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
it was Gremlins

wierdscience
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Drink less?:D

oldtiffie
09-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm amazed that you didn't try at least two bolts or screws rather than just "look(ed) at it" without "trying" it.

That is the "acid test" - to see if you are "gold".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_test_(gold)

loose nut
09-11-2010, 08:56 PM
OK, I'll have to fess up. It was me. :D

Ah-ha !! I knew it was you!