PDA

View Full Version : Good electronics size wire stripper?

DICKEYBIRD
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM
My recent piddlings with parallel cable hacking uncovered a deficiency in my toolkit. The trusty old no-name wire stripper also stripped off a wire strand or 2 along with the insulation on the small sized wires i was working with.

Anybody have a recommendation for a decent one for little wires that won't break the bank?

wierdscience
09-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I got a few pair of these I like,razor sharp,accurately made they cut the insulation all the way round first time-

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100352112&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100352112&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100352112&locStoreNum=386&marketID=5

MotorradMike
09-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree with WS. For home use this type is very good. Klein, Milbar, or Paladin to name a few, make nicely ground strippers.

To be certain you don't nick the strands, you really need Hot Tweezers, but for home...

lazlo
09-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I love the automatics. Huge timesaver:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100341468&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100341468&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100341468&locStoreNum=6542&marketID=42

whitis
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
The best wire strippers are automatic die cutting strippers but they are expensive and usually not available locally. They work better at cutting the insulation and only the insulation. Teflon wire will tell how good a stripper is. For most wires, the klein style linked should do fine; they are pretty good for general use and may even work on teflon if you are careful. They work a lot better better than most strippers.

DIE CUTTING Opposite bevels Same side bevels
Not visible in my ascii art cross section the holes for the wire on the two on the right. The klien is the style in the middle. Some Automatic but not die cutting strippers that otherwise look identical and crappy crimper/strippers use the style on the right.

There are other styles as well but these three styles often will look somewhat similar and can be confused. Bevel on the same side can work in some strippers if there is just a thin almost razor blade and there is clearance for the insulation, adjustable blade spacing, and you twirl the stripper.

digr
09-12-2010, 03:24 PM
On small wires a Bic lighter works great but the timing is critical when pinching off the insulation.:eek:

Black_Moons
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/vise-grip/self-adjusting-wire-stripper.htm

heres a review of the stripper I use. Its wonderful, with only one nut to adjust (And it basicly only has the settings of 'tight for 16awg and bigger, loose for 18awg or smaller), it strips anything from 12awg to 24awg without nicking the wire. 10awg is a little hard with it, but oh well.

Best stripper I have ever used. Iv tryed the ones first posted here. .they are ok but still sometimes nick, unless you pick a bigger gauge then the wire really is, then they can be harder to strip.

Never tryed the second ones posted here. But they look rather ok, and iv talked to someone who used em, said they where pertty good.

Lots of clones of this one on the market for under $10
The wire stop folds outta the way when you need longer strips.. thought its not very good at striping past 1" because it does not pull the insulation very far off.

lazlo
09-12-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/vise-grip/self-adjusting-wire-stripper.htm

heres a review of the stripper I use.

That's the same one I posted :)

Mine's actually branded JT&T (an electronics testing company), but they're all made in the same factory in Taiwan.

Nicely made, although I wish the stripper stop was aluminum, and not plastic.

Paul Alciatore
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Working in electronics I have probably used them all. Automatics, specific ground cutters like Wierd's, and just using a sharp knife.

Wierd's suggestion is a great choice for a first stripper for electronic use. 20 - 30 or 22 - 32 AWG are great ranges as most wires you will see will be between 22 and 28 unless you get into some special area. There are many brands like this one and prices vary, but if they look nicely machinned, they will probably work well.

I haven't yet used one like BlackMoon's suggestion and I will probably try one if I see it priced reasonably.

Black_Moons
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
That's the same one I posted :)
Nicely made, although I wish the stripper stop was aluminum, and not plastic.

... No, its not, you posted one that while somewhat similar, its quite diffrent! Apparently for striping RG-6.

All the clones of the one I posted, are the EXACT same to the last detail, just diffrent colors.
Also crimps standard connectors and ignition terminals, and has a cute little wire cutter even.

PS: Wha wha wha, Go make an aluminum stopper then :) Silly machinist!

lazlo
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
... No, its not, you posted one that while somewhat similar, its quite diffrent! Apparently for striping RG-6.

Sh!t, you're right -- sorry, I linked to the wrong automatic stripper!

All the clones of the one I posted, are the EXACT same to the last detail, just diffrent colors. Also crimps standard connectors and ignition terminals, and has a cute little wire cutter even.

Yep, this is mine.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/WireStripper.png

PS: Wha wha wha, Go make an aluminum stopper then :) Silly machinist!

Looks like a PITA.

AussieChris
09-14-2010, 03:03 AM
That's the same as one I use. Works great but I really must take a grinder to those crimping jaws (for insulated and ignition terminals below the pivot) because they've got a nasty habit of biting one's hand if you're not careful. I use a proper ratchet crimper for that job.

Chris
Brisbane Australia.

Forestgnome
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I've used T-strippers for many years myself. Probably the same as others have posted.

john hawkins
09-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Don'cha just love 'em !! Any back to topic, I like my "ideal" strip master. It holds the wire in the lower jaw then the upper "dies" pull the insulation off. This feature eliminates the problem of pulling on the wire while pulling the insulation off. Ever pulled the wire out of an expensive transformer. :eek: If so you will get an "ideal strip master". They have several sets of upper dies available for very fine wire. Special order.