PDA

View Full Version : Torchs: Y or quick disconnects?

Black_Moons
09-12-2010, 07:20 PM
What is generaly perfered for running two torchs (But only one at a time) from one set of oxygen/acetylene tanks? a set of Y deviders or quick disconnects? In my case its a micro torch and a medium sized torch. Kinda thinking quality disconnects will be expensive and could suddenly leak if the seals get damaged, though I can see Y keeping both torchs live being slightly dangerious in itself..

clutch
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
You do turn your tanks off when you are done, don't you?

I'd go with the wye.

Clutch

wierdscience
09-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Y-connectors are more reliable.I have had four sets of $80-90/set quick disconnects and they need constant O-ring replacement.

There really isn't any danger in using the Y's,they also make them with valves.Since you'll still be shutting of the bottle valve when your done anyway.

oldtiffie
09-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I change my hoses at the regulators - couple of minutes most - but I turn my bottles off before the change-over and on afterward. I vent the regulators every time I turn the bottles off - same applies to the MIG bottle. I leave my O/A valves on the torches open when I am not using them as well - whether they are connected to the regulators or not.

I never leave a hose pressurised if I am not using it or not in the shop. I've seen what a "creeping" or "jerky" poor regulator can do.

I can't see the need for any adaptors at all - just something more that can have a fault.

The day that I can't find the time to change hoses/leads is the day I should not either go into - or stay in - the shop.

EddyCurr
09-12-2010, 11:08 PM
If I had the need/want for hooking up multiple torches to O/A regulators,
my choice would be in favour of using Y-Connectors.

Bottles are regularly configured with Y-Connectors leading to two pairs of
hoses: a brazing torch at the end of one hose pair and a cutting torch at
the end of the other. Besides the convenience of having the equipment
at hand and ready to operate, leaving the hoses attached helps eliminate
opportunities for damage to occur to the sealing surfaces or threads of
the fittings.

None of which precludes the safety practices described in oldtiffie's post.

Western Enterprises (http://www.westernenterprises.com/) lists the following

A-SIZE (3/8"-24 THREAD) * B-SIZE (9/16"-18 THREAD)

Y-Connectors - Pressures to 200 PSIG (1400 kPa)

101 - Oxygen RH: B-Size F Inlet to B-Size M Outlets CGA-022
102 - Acetylene/F. Gases LH: B-Size F Inlet to B-Size M Outlets CGA-023
113 - Oxygen RH: A-Size F Inlet to A-Size M Outlets CGA-020
114 - Acetylene/F. Gases LH: B-Size F Inlet to A-Size M Outlets CGA-021

Valved Y-Connectors - Pressures to 200 PSIG (1400 kPa)

111 - Oxygen RH: B-Size F Inlet to B-Size M Outlets CGA-022
112 - Acetylene/F. Gases LH: B-Size F Inlet to B-Size M Outlets CGA-023
115 - Oxygen RH: A-Size F Inlet to A-Size M Outlets CGA-020
116 - Acetylene/F. Gases LH: A-Size F Inlet to A-Size M Outlets CGA-021

Black_Moons
09-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Damage to the threads/sealing surfaces is mainly why I did'nt wanna swap them all the time. That, And im likey not gonna bother doing a leak test every time I swap torchs, I will bother doing it when I hook up a Y that I won't touch again in eons.

Boucher
09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
After trying both ways I like the Y's better than the Quick connects. After retiring I just have the smaller owned bottles. One episode of running out of gas on the weekend when the supplier was closed caused me to invest in a second set of bottles. I will have to dig around a little but if you want to try some quick disconnects I may still have some if you want to try them.

Black_Moons
09-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I think i'll go with the valved Y's, seems the smartest idea..

loose nut
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
I have been using the same set of quick connects at work for over ten years now with no trouble, they aren't cheap but very handy.