PDA

View Full Version : Ettco vs Procunier, etc,

pntrbl
09-13-2010, 02:08 AM
I recently bought a small lonely looking Ettco No 2 tapping head on E-Bay for the princely sum of .99. Local pickup. How could I go wrong?

It didn't seem to work too good tho, but we need to remember I've never used a tapping head before so how would I know? The only answer was to take it apart.

The pleasant surprise was finding out how simple it was inside. A friction piece with tapers at both ends carries the tap and is lightly spring loaded into a matching tapered drum at the top. The drum is directly connected to the #2 Morse shank and that's what drives the tap in.

Another drum at the bottom is constantly rotating at a higher rpm in the reverse direction via a shaft and some gearing on the side. Lifting up connects the lower drum to the friction piece, which reverses the tap, and out it comes.

After a little TLC and a fresh lower bushing it's working just fine.

There is an issue in that it only came with one collet, and it's a tricky looking little thing, but I'm gonna have a shot at making the others I'll need. We'll see ......

So, being happy with my Ettco experience so far I spot an Ettco 4B on auction at good ol' Reliable Tools. My little No 2 is only capable up to a #10 in steel and the 4B goes from 1/4 to 5/8's! Yeah. Perfect complement to my stable.

But you know how things skyrocket at Reliable. I dunno why I go there. Puttin' it on the watch list don't hurt a bit tho, so I did and I'll be damned if it didn't go off for a paltry $46. If my foot would reach I'd be kickin' myself in the butt.

This begs the question referenced in the title tho. Is the Ettco line inferior to Procunier, Tapmatic, and the etc. brands in some way I don't know about? Are they cheap because nobody wants them?

One thing I've noticed is the others seem to be cylindrical in that they don't have the bulge in the side the Ettco line has for the reversing shaft and gearing. I haven't a clue how they manage to reverse the tap.

And while I'm at it, should I be looking at using rubber collets instead of making the tricky little hard mounts my No 2 came with?

Obviously my experience with tapping heads is limited. All pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

SP

BadDog
09-13-2010, 02:15 AM
I prefer the Ettcos, I have 3 of the smaller ones, but don't recall the numbers. All I know is they give a full range from "tiny" up to about 1/2". As long a the chuck end is complete, they seem almost bullet proof. And they don't require multiple collets or any of that stuff. The only down side seems to be that they are a bit bulky, but that has not presented a problem really (though I rarely have enough tapping to justify even mounting). Best of all, they go cheap! I think I paid less than $20 total for each of mine.

wierdscience
09-13-2010, 02:36 AM
This same subject just came up today-

Both Ettco and Procunier are owned by Rockwell and are internally very similar.I prefer the Ettco since it only needs the one collet.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43595

pntrbl
09-14-2010, 12:28 AM
If Ettcos are good enough for you guys, they're good enough for me! Thanx for the responses ....

SP

Your Old Dog
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Where the hell were you guys a few months ago? :D

I bought a Procunier because most everyone here at the time said they were the one to get. Now I need collets. I went on the advice of an old thread. This is why I don't mind the repeat questions instead of the OP using the archives.

Had I known about the Etta and the chuck I would have went that way and been happier.

wierdscience
09-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Where the hell were you guys a few months ago? :D

I bought a Procunier because most everyone here at the time said they were the one to get. Now I need collets. I went on the advice of an old thread. This is why I don't mind the repeat questions instead of the OP using the archives.

Had I known about the Etta and the chuck I would have went that way and been happier.

I told you and everybody else over 8 years ago that Ettco doesn't need collets and Procunier does,you couldn't remember that?:p :D