PDA

View Full Version : variable speed scroll saws---Looking to buy.

cole7015
09-14-2010, 01:32 AM
hello

First post here.

I am in need of a good varible speed scroll saw, for O scale model train building. I will be working in brass and some nickel silver. Maximum thickness .500" and sheet stock .020"--.125" as well.

I have looked at the dremel and the enco stuff but I am not sure what else there may be out there.

Any and all advice for brand and price would be appreciated.

Thanks

william Basden----Delta Models

topct
09-14-2010, 08:30 AM
I had a variable speed Dremel and did not like it. It had an aluminum table with a very coarse and straight ground finish that seemed to want to keep you from turning the work piece.

oldtiffie
09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Some may not know or realise what a scroll saw is:

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=scroll+saw&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=aa2ddf24bc56fe27

RTPBurnsville
09-14-2010, 08:50 AM
I have owned a Hegner for several years and have been very happy with it. RBI also makes a very nice scroll saw.

sch
09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
For a few more opinions just google Scroll saw reviews.
I was looking for the Fine Woodworking reviews, but
can't recall the time frame. Most wood working mags,
those that survive, have reviewed scroll saws at some
time. Not much change in these things past 20 yrs
except moving production to China.

Chester
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Pretty hard to beat vintage saws such as The 24" Delta. I found one with the factory stand for $50. Mine has only the multi speed pulleys, but they also came with the "variable speed" option, as in these links:

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3945

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=1673

The second one has both the variable speed option and the factory light. (Those lights can sell for over $100 on Ebay)

Jerry
09-14-2010, 10:34 PM
The Excalibur Scroll Saw by Sommerville Design is a superb choice.

Nicad
09-14-2010, 11:34 PM
I picked up a 24 Delta used, but if I was to do it again, the Dewalt is the best non pro scrollsaw and kinda like the poor man's Excalibur.

wtrueman
09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Second on the Hegner; the Caddy in a Kia market. The one I bought for my school shop about eight years ago has been outstanding. Quite expensive though, but worth the money for a school shop. Wayne.

ttok
09-16-2010, 05:16 PM
William -

Have been using an Hegner Multimax-14 for exactly the same purpose. It has been great for 15 years now. I have made brass and nickel silver (0.090") "O" scale loco frames, cut sprues off lost wax brass castings, and cut lots of aluminum and some basswood on it. When I bought it, it was the scroll saw with the slowest speed I could find, making it useful with jeweler's blades. I have never cut anything thicker than 0.090" on it, and do not think it will cut thicker metal without snagging and breaking the blade. They sell at reasonable prices on Ebay, but I bought mine new in a pre-Ebay world.

It will not cut thin sheet brass (shimstock) very well, unless you cut a stack of sheets at a time, either glued or taped together. I use a 12" Di-Acro shear for that. In the last three weeks, I cut almost 1,000 brass shimstock strips (half-hard) 0.005" thick X 6" long X 0.034" wide each on the Di-Acro shear.

I have a newer cheap Delta scroll saw exclusively for wood (higher speed). Now I have a Deckel pantograph mill and envision using the Hegner and Delta to make wood patterns to use on it. I want to try making a loco frame using the Deckel, but it has quite a learning curve!

A.T.