PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Vice

paul
09-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Good Morning;
I am looking to purchase a drill press vise. Enco sent me their new hot deals catalog, listed on page 16 is the (import) Precision Milling Machine vise and Gibraltar or Palmgren Milling Machine vices. Has anyone had experience with these products? What is the best value?

Thank you,

RobbieKnobbie
09-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I have (had) the 6" precision import mill vise with swivel. It was alright, but it tended to kick up the part a little when you clamped it. For drilling that's not an issue but it was a real pain for milling. A little heavy though.

For a drill press, consider a drill press vise like the Wilton Cam Lock (enco p/n 240-2900) they are heavy enough to keep stuff from moving around, but light enough to float around on the table and allow itself to align to the drill bit (I don't bolt mine down and this seems to work really nicely)

MichaelP
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I second the opinion about a Cam Lock vise. They're not without some shortcomings, but very convenient for a drill press. The best of them (quality wise) are, supposedly, Heinrich Grip-Master. I have both 6" Heinrich and 4" import ones, and both of them perform very decently.

Toolguy
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
It's been my experience that Palmgren anything is not very good quality and way overpriced.

oldtiffie
09-15-2010, 02:16 AM
The heading/title of the OP is: Drill Press Vice

The text is:

Good Morning;
I am looking to purchase a drill press vise. Enco sent me their new hot deals catalog, listed on page 16 is the (import) Precision Milling Machine vise and Gibraltar or Palmgren Milling Machine vices. Has anyone had experience with these products? What is the best value?

Thank you,

So far as I can see, this is the key sentence:

I am looking to purchase a drill press vise.

There are a lot of differences between a good milling vise and an adequate drill-press vice.

Just about any of the basic, rough, Chinese vices will do most of what is required on a drill-press.

If I have anything in my drill-press vise its only because I don't or can't hold the part to be drilled by hand. I hold it in the vice and hold the vice as I rarely clamp or bolt the vice to the drill-press table. I let the job "float" so ease the locating of the drill in my centre-punch marks.

Many times I use the vise to prevent me drilling into the drill table.

If the moving jaw lifts as you tighten it, just use a bronze "dolly" to knock it back down to the top of the vice base. Another way is to shim under the moving jaw so that it takes up all the gap with the moving jaw lifted. It will only lift a minimal further amount when you tighten the moving jaw.

Most times any "lift" won't matter for jobs on a drill press. If I need to be sure that the job is hard down on the base of the vice I use a 6" steel rule as a "hold-down" - works just about every time - but a horizontal "vee" in the vise jaw is a big help.

I can't remember when I last used or needed a vise with a swiveling base on a drill press.

crrmeyer
09-15-2010, 02:27 AM
I like Heinrich the best, but the older Palmgren's I have are used pretty nice too. Heinrich also makes a nice screw version similar to the quick acting vise for drill press use that I have used in the past and like a lot.

http://www.heinrichco.com/dpvise.htm

Paul Alciatore
09-15-2010, 02:46 AM
The heading/title of the OP is: Drill Press Vice

The text is:

So far as I can see, this is the key sentence:

There are a lot of differences between a good milling vise and an adequate drill-press vice.

Just about any of the basic, rough, Chinese vices will do most of what is required on a drill-press.

If I have anything in my drill-press vise its only because I don't or can't hold the part to be drilled by hand. I hold it in the vice and hold the vice as I rarely clamp or bolt the vice to the drill-press table. I let the job "float" so ease the locating of the drill in my centre-punch marks.

Many times I use the vise to prevent me drilling into the drill table.

If the moving jaw lifts as you tighten it, just use a bronze "dolly" to knock it back down to the top of the vice base. Another way is to shim under the moving jaw so that it takes up all the gap with the moving jaw lifted. It will only lift a minimal further amount when you tighten the moving jaw.

Most times any "lift" won't matter for jobs on a drill press. If I need to be sure that the job is hard down on the base of the vice I use a 6" steel rule as a "hold-down" - works just about every time - but a horizontal "vee" in the vise jaw is a big help.

I can't remember when I last used or needed a vise with a swiveling base on a drill press.

I have to question your statement that lift does not matter in a drill press vise.

The problem is the part does not just lift in a uniform manner. Instead, the side that is against the fixed jaw does not lift while the side that is against the movable jaw does. Therefore the part actually rotates. If you are drilling a hole through any amount of thickness, the hole will not be square to the surface and this can easily cause problems.

oldtiffie
09-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Paul.

In many or most cases the amount of lift is pretty well inconsequential for a drilled hole.

It depends.

As I said, if it matters, tap it down - just as you do on many mill vises - or use a hold-down. Or alternatively shim the moving jaw to minimise up-lift during or because of clamping.

If it were fussy with me, I'd be drilling the part with it on the table or on parallels.

If I had to use a vise with minimum/nil up-lift I'd use one of these vices - no uplift - but a pretty expensive vise for a pedestal drill.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vise/Vise2.jpg

Here is the shim and hold-down in use in a vise with 0.030" + of moving jaw uplift. The 1" x 1/2" steel strip is held hard down (very) - but the set-up and use of it needs care.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vise/Vyce_clamp2.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vise/Vyce_clamp5.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Vise/Vyce_clamp6.jpg

Black_Moons
09-15-2010, 04:29 AM
My brother once demoed to me 'holding the work on the drill press'...
Just a small peice of 2" by 3/16" about 4" long... Just before he drilled it he said "I should be clamping this down, but because its just one quick hole I wont"
The drill bit caught on its way through, spun the work around, cut a 2'+ long slash down the palm of his hand (kinda deep), bent the drill bit at 30 degrees, then proceeded to wobble around at 500rpms untill the drill bit broke (We where both ducking at this point!), sending it flying into the wall of the shop with a loud thud and a new concrete radius on the part.

Yea.. Now I allways clamp it down.. or clamp the vise down.

Now, for a more useful post: I like the cheap chinese X/Y vises for my drill press. Kinda.. heavy to the point of bending the table down a few degrees, wayy to loose X/Y for any kinda milling attempt (allready tryed, ended up buying a real mill). but trying to align work to a drill bit? First time I used it I was like 'Wow.. Did I really align that work to the drill in 5 seconds? Should'nt I be fiddleing around for another 30 seconds at least.. its gotta be off alignment... hmm.. nope, just perfect'

JBishop
09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
My favorite is a Cardinal Engineering with a slick quick adjusting screw. Have a nice Wilton with a quick adjust screw also. I also have a post sticking up from one of the slots which acts as a stop to keep the vise or whatever you're drilling from spinning. It's just a piece of 1 1/4" round stock, with a hole tapped in the bottom, with a small hand wheel with a matching threaded stud that screws in from below the table, and is easily repositioned as needed. This allows the vise or part to float, but not spin. HTH Jim.