PDA

View Full Version : OT Windows Essentials, and Defender

rws
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I first loaded Defender on my laptop as an anti- spyware program. Then I downloaded Windows Essentials and an anti-virus program. The Defender always turns itself off from time to time, and sometimes I don't even know it.

I looked at Microsoft's website, and saw something that Essentials does both virus and spyware, and I don't need Defender.

Anyone use both of these? Have the same problem?

lakeside53
09-14-2010, 12:19 PM
You just need "essentials".

I've now ditched my other "main stream" avs... I find it the least intrusive system I've ever used... oh, and free..

dp
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
No single AV/malware tool is adequate owing to day zero infestations. If you have two tools, one will always precede the other in providing a solution to new threats. There is strength in numbers. More importantly is to have a solution that is quick to recover completely from the inevitable infestations. That, in most cases, means to run Windows as a virtual machine where that is possible.

A virtual machine is a complete running instance of Windows, including all your applications and static files but which runs in a sand box. That sand box, or host OS, is used for only one purpose - to run the Windows virtual machine. It can be Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris - doesn't matter. The important thing is it boots, starts the virtual machine, and you don't interact with it thereafter. It is also where all your data are stored.

The virtual machine is stored as group of files in a folder on the host machine. You install the VM using a DVD, CD, or ISO just as you do for a physical machine. You also install all your applications, create your bookmarks, etc., just as for a real machine. Then you save it to your backup device. That can be a DVD, CD's, tape, file server, what ever.

You start the host machine, start the virtual machine, and get to work, saving all your data on a share on the host machine or file server. One day, probably soon, your VM will be infected by a virus. No problem. Delete it and replace it with your gold copy that you saved earlier. You have now recovered from a total disaster in less than 20 minutes, and your system is 100% virus free. Until the next time.

Because you never actually use it for anything except to run the virtual machine, the host OS is not impacted by anything that happens on the virtual machine. But since the host is where you store all your data, you can surely take advantage of that and let it scan your data while you work in the VM.

A VM is not for everybody. Ask your computer doctor if a VM is appropriate for you. A VM can lead to prolonged freedom from viral infection. It is not uncommon for you to experience a virus-free environment for years and years - don't be concerned.

rws
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
After some more looking, it does appear Essentials does take over what Defender does. I'm not a questionable website surfer type anyway, but I certainly want protection.

Since it turns off Defender anyway, I might as well uninstall it.

Evan
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I find it more than a little amusing that anyone would depend on software from Microsoft to protect against the ever present vulnerabilities in software from Microsoft. :rolleyes:

I just bought a new netbook with Windows 7. It will be interesting to see how much it takes to make it more secure. In the case of XP that means removing software from the operating system, not adding it.

beanbag
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
dp:

I thought about running a virtual machine, but never got around to it because:
I need twice the RAM
I need another license of Windows
I need my 3D acceleration to work

dp
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
dp:

I thought about running a virtual machine, but never got around to it because:
I need twice the RAM
I need another license of Windows
I need my 3D acceleration to work

Then don't use one in that service. And no, you don't need twice the licences if the host is a Linux system and you definitely don't need twice the RAM unless you already need more RAM.

As mentioned, it's not for everyone or every purpose as there are unsupported requirements such as 3D. When I bought Win7 I got a family pack so I have multiple licenses, but I don't have any hardware Windows can run on. But if I did, it is possible to run Windows as a host for the VMs and for using native 3D and still run a Windows VM for surfing the net and other dangerous activities like testing updates, installing shareware software for testing, etc., without overcommitting your primary work environment.

I use Rhino CAD in my Windows XP and Win7 VMs on my Mac laptop with only 2G of RAM and it's working fine. The Mac version of Rhino is coming along nicely, too.

rws
09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
I find it more than a little amusing that anyone would depend on software from Microsoft to protect against the ever present vulnerabilities in software from Microsoft. :rolleyes:

I just bought a new netbook with Windows 7. It will be interesting to see how much it takes to make it more secure. In the case of XP that means removing software from the operating system, not adding it.

Well, the reason I went with the MS program, was I could not get much if any support from other companies. Having to wait over a week to get a problem addressed is beyond my tolerance.

It may not be the best, but it's doing OK so far.

lazlo
09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
It may not be the best, but it's doing OK so far.

I haven't been paying any attention to the Microsoft Anti-Virus, but I just checked Anti-Virus Comparative which is, by far, the best objective comparison of anti-virus programs, and the Microsoft AV actually gets the highest ratings on both the detection rates, and performance.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report26.pdf

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance_dec09.pdf

My Norton 360 subscription is running out, and though it's been one of the better AV programs I've used (it's *way* less demanding of resources than Norton AV), it's popping-up adverts about renewing my subscription, which I find very annoying.

rollin45
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I dropped Norton of all flavors and switched over to MS Security Essentials about a year ago ... am happy.

rollin'

lakeside53
09-15-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm slowly switching all my aging neighbors to it... as it doesn't have a subscription, they can't FORGET to renew it.... and I don't have to fix the aftermath.