X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmuell01
    • Feb 2008

bison plain chuck with D1-4

I got a present of a new 6 1/4 " Bison chuck with a D1-4 back (which is integral to the chuck and not a backing plate).
    I have a SB Heavy 10 that has a 2 1/4" X 8 nose.

I called Toolmex for their opinion of putting a back plate onto this chuck and they said it would introduce additional error, which I suspected. But I'm a home shop and don't know how much that would be.

I can either swap out this chuck with someone who has the same chuck with a threaded hub or I could try and make an adapter for it.

Has anyone made a back plate to fit a D1-4 to a threaded nose?

thanks

Rob
    Rob
  • DeereGuy
    • Dec 2003

Sounds like you are looking for somthing simular to what I already make. These are all D1-4 chucks that I already owned and I can now use them on the rotary table with my adapter and I can also bolt the adapter directly to the table if I want to. I have had this one in use for about a year now. The rotary table with the adapter have now found a permanent place on the left hand side of the table. I know it shows on the right here but I changed it after taking these pictures.

Continued on next post.
    Last edited by DeereGuy; 09-14-2010, 07:39 PM.
    Bob
    Pics of shop and some projects
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39...achine%20Shop/

Comment

• DeereGuy
      • Dec 2003

Continued...

Here is a shot before anodizing and no cam pins

It's great for any parts that you want to move back and forth between the lathe and mill.

Here is an early prototype anodized....a few unnecessary holes in this one.

I didn't design this to use at high speed and the cam pins are my own design. I plan on changing this to the standard pins that are used in the spindles. Probably won't get to it till winter.

Let me know the current dimension from your threaded spindle and I will see if this will work for you....I will be selling the plans and completed assemblies sometime soon.

I also seen in one of your past threads you are in Michigan. I am in Eaton Rapids just south of Lansing.
      Last edited by DeereGuy; 09-14-2010, 08:00 PM.
      Bob

Comment

• rmuell01
        • Feb 2008

Bob,

my spindle is 2 1/4 X 8. standard 10L stuff.
        that seems like a big adapter - what is your runout?
        Rob

Comment

• Mike Burdick
          • Jan 2003

rmuell01,

Here's how I made an adapter from D1-4 to 1½ - 8 TPI spindle that works very well. The spindle run out was not affected due to the adapter. The additional overhang was only about ¾ inch from what a normal threaded chuck was. Making it for your 2 ¼ threaded spindle should not pose any problems. Note: the ¾ inch overhang was necessary because I wanted to recess the heads of the "specialty" bolts for safety when spinning. If one wants less overhang then this dimension can be reduced in at least half.

The first photo show a normal D1-4 chuck with the cam studs removed. I then machined three “specialty” threaded studs from standard socket head caps screws (as raw stock) that fit the threads of the original studs. These hold the threaded adapter plate to the chuck.

The next two photos shows the adapter plate. It is threaded and machined with the typical D1-4 taper. The adapter can be attached to ANY D1-4 back plate with the “specialty” studs and maintain complete accuracy. The final photo shows the completed and installed adapter.

By the way, I cut this adapter plate from a piece of hot rolled flat stock I found at the scrap yard. With the three SHCS and steel plate total cost of materials was about $3.00. I also made it on a Sunday so I could have something to do while watching a football game!

The really nice thing about this adapter is that it doesn’t harm the original D1-4 backplate whatsoever. All one needs to do is remove the three “specialty” studs and replace the original cam studs and it is back to fitting on a D1-4 spindle!

If you want to make your chuck into a so called "Adjust-Tru" type...

On the adapter where my taper is, machine it about 0.030 less and DON'T machine the taper - just make it flat and a little bit longer. Then drill in 3 3/8 inch diameter SHCS equally spaced on the side of the chuck - these will be the adjusting screws. Also, drill the holes in the adapter plate for the "specialty" screws larger to accommodate the movement when setting the chuck true. When the chuck is trued with the screws on the side then tighten the "specialty" screws. Counterbore the adjusting SHCS for safety! You may also need to thread the adjusting SHCS longer.

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 09-16-2010, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• DeereGuy
            • Dec 2003

My total runout on the production one is .0005. This one adds 1.6 inches to overall length. Mike has already showed you what I was thinking about for you. Feel free to contact me if you need help. The only difference I was going to suggest was to also keep the taper to insure concentricity.

Edited to add that the measured runout stayed the same between the lathe and mill.
            Last edited by DeereGuy; 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM.
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X