PDA

View Full Version : Tips for milling off splines in 4WD hub

Farbmeister
09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I have a some axle hubs that are splined for 4WD. I would like to cut them off and free wheel.

Any tips for this type of interrupted boring? Just go slow and light? My options for boring bars are half and 5/8ths (largest my holder will go).

I doubt I need to bush the opened up hub.. but will doing so make the driveline quieter?

fredwillis
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
you can bore the splines out easy, hog it in and let it go.
It is a weird request, why the heck ya doing that?

ADGO_Racing
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
you can bore the splines out easy, hog it in and let it go.
It is a weird request, why the heck ya doing that?

I second that, why not just take out the axles, then if you decide you would like the 4WD again, you only need to re install the axles. No noise either.

Farbmeister
09-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Its more work to remove the axel (still have to take the hub off), the spindle lock nuts, bearings etc.

The hubs come off with 6 bolts. Nothing more.

Plus I can take them with me, so if I need 4WD, off go the bored out hubs, and on go the splined ones.

I know I would get less resistance with no axle, but the ability to flip flop is kinda to good to pass up.

Short of unoriginal locking hubs, its a common mod for all wheel drive antique MVs. I just don't want to pay to have it done (the old hubs cost me $20 total).

Arcane
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Just curious, what vehicle is this in?

Farbmeister
09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
1942 Ford GPW

Fasttrack
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Yep - you can either just hog on in and cut out the splines or try using a bar with HSS inserts. They are far more forgiving of interupted cuts than carbide. I've cut splines off of axle shafts with HSS many times.

NiftyNev
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Why not just install free wheel hubs? I assume it's just a flange that fits on the actual hub that you want to remove the internal splines from. If you do that then what stops the axle flapping around inside the hub?

Nev

Mcruff
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
What he has, in the jeep world is known as drive flanges, just drill or bore the darn things out. Its that simple, they aren't hard just kinda tough. All jeep CJ's came with these as standard equipment until the 72 model year. I carry a spare set in my underseat toolbox in case i blow a warn hub. They are nothing more than probably prehard 4140 or similar.

doctor demo
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the front drive line and keep it under the seat?
Steve

franco
09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the front drive line and keep it under the seat?
Steve
.............and then crawl underneath in the mud where there is inadequate clearance because the back wheels have started to sink so you can re-install it, because suddenly you need the front wheel drive RIGHT NOW?

Surely it's easier just to undo 6 bolts each side and change to the splined drive flange.

When I had my GPW I always intended to do this, but never "got around to it". It is well worth doing if you drive mainly on the road, but have occasional need for 4WD - still looks original, but saves the wear and tear on the front drive train when 4WD isn't needed.

franco

.RC.
09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
.............and then crawl underneath in the mud where there is inadequate clearance because the back wheels have started to sink so you can re-install it, because suddenly you need the front wheel drive RIGHT NOW?

But isn't doing that part of the fun of off roading? :D