PDA

View Full Version : Look at what my wife bought for me...Gloat, Gloat

john hobdeclipe
09-14-2010, 11:58 PM
My wife is much more thorough and meticulous than I when it comes to scouring the Craigslist ads. She found an ad for a Bridgeport mill, mis-spelled and lost within the "General" category. She said it sounded like something I had been wanting, and to write to the seller and go and see it. And she said if it looks good, to drag it home.

So I did.

And here it is in my shop:

http://www.auldooly.com/imagehost/P9120078-10.jpg

It's a 1972, in great condition. The flaking is still visible on the saddle/knee ways, it has just a few accident marks on the table, sounds like it should, and I couldn't measure any runout at all. Included in the deal is the KURT 6" swivel vise (so new it doesn't even have any scratches or marks on the paint, and only one little divot on one of the soft jaws) and a set of "In Motion Quick Change" tool holders from Diamond Tool & Die, Oakland, CA. (for R-8 spindles) and a set of work hold-downs from Enco.

Only drawback is the Erickson Quick Change spindle and the future expense of tooling it up. This is the mill I was asking about late last week in another thread.

So now I have to get off my lazy butt and get my phase converter wired up, and move this thing across the shop to it's appointed corner.

The "In Motion Quick Change" system doesn't fit this mill, so I'll probably sell it eventually.

jeremy13
09-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Lucky S-%- 8 my wife doesn't even know how to cook. Much-less listen to what I might be looking for.:rolleyes: Great deals are still out there you just have to get creative on the spelling. Nice score.

rdfeil
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
John,

My 1964 Bport has a Erickson Quick Change spindle. I also did not want to spend a fortune on tool holders or wait around to get them slowly on Ebay. What I was able to do was to remove the Erickson collar from the spindle nose (just the locking collar) and use NMTB-30 tool holders. My mill had the hollow spindle so a draw-bar was no problem. I have been told that not all QC spindles are hollow so you might be stuck with no options. I just thought I would share my solution.

Robin

PS: Your wife sounds like a neat and understanding lady, buy her something she wants :D

wierdscience
09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Geez,having a wife that spots machine tools for you,lucky dog!

lakeside53
09-15-2010, 12:28 AM
yes.. buy that woman something nice.

My wife can cook, and takes no interest in whatever I drag home:p So long as her car can park in the garage, she tolerates me and my mess. Next week I drag home a cnc BP... wonder if she'll notice that beside the other BP (backup plan - that one is going to be sold):rolleyes:

Mcgyver
09-15-2010, 01:05 AM
ok, I thought i was a good cave man, but you've got the little woman bird dogging machine tools? "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" :D

congrats on seems like a very nice machine

rdfeil
09-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Lakeside,

You are welcome to store the CNC in my shop if the wife objects. I'm only 3 hours east :D
I promise to keep it lubed and run weekly to maintain it for you :D :D

R.

lakeside53
09-15-2010, 01:07 AM
might need a bed also:D

wbleeker
09-15-2010, 04:26 AM
You have a nice wife John! Mine dosen't mind what I buy as long as I don't mind what she buys! I just can't work out how she can wear so many pairs of shoes! I just picked up the grinder I bought on Ebay today, actually an Elliott 8-20 surface grinder, no us boring the wife with details is there?
Will

BWS
09-15-2010, 06:47 AM
I'd either buy or make that woman sumthin,she went above and beyond.

Wife and I could seemingly(to me at least)be having a serious,capital investment discussion regarding general tool infrastructure here at the estate and then............riiiiiiing.........riiiiiing.Oh well,there went that discussion.She does pretty good at appearing to be interested.Sounds like your wife is alittle more than interested.BW

Liger Zero
09-15-2010, 07:38 AM
My wife works out in the shop with us. She drives the forklift, mixes materials and cleans the molds. Recently spotted her feeding blanks to a CNC mill as well. :)

It helps that I've taken an interest in her hobbies. The flower garden attracts interesting bugs and the vegetable garden produces pickles. Well it produces cucumbers... which turn into pickles if you apply some Chemistry to them. :D

Can't seem to get into painting, I'm far too heavy-handed. My masterpiece "Colorful splotches and dark streaks on a white canvas" currently is hanging in my office. Someday it might be worth the original material costs. :D

Your Old Dog
09-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Gee, my Levi's and new t-shirts and socks pale by comparison :D

gnm109
09-15-2010, 11:25 AM
That's a great find. I wish I could have found something like that when I was looking a while back.

gary350
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I wish I had that nice looking vise I see on your mill. I am still using an old fosil vise. I have been saying for years some day I will buy a good vise. I saw a nice bridgeport mill on craigslist for $800 last summer if I had a larger shop I would now own 2 mills with 1 antique vise. LOL.

Dr Stan
09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Only really counts as a gloat if you also include the price.

Yea I'm jealous. :D

gzig5
09-15-2010, 05:02 PM
John, I'd say you got a better deal on your wife than the mill! Congrats.

It would take my wife a week to realize it if I emptied all the machines out of my side of the garage. I leave her Christmas presents unwrapped on my workbench because I know she will never look there.

gda
09-15-2010, 09:16 PM
+1 on needing to post the price, unless the gloat was on the wife.

I saw a 1J head BP on CL listed as a drill press for $350.

Weston Bye
09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Life is good. A Bridgeport and a good wife. While my wife didn't find the Bridgy for me, she did encourage me to go for it.

john hobdeclipe
09-15-2010, 10:16 PM
OK, to answer some questions:

The mill was $1500.00. It cost me another $430 to have it loaded, delivered 65 miles, and unloaded. It was in the seller's garage, at the top of a very steep driveway. I didn't have to look at the scenario very long to realize that it needed either a forklift or a rollback car carrier to be safe. So I got a local auto tow company to haul it for me. Turns out the owner of the company is a bit of a machinist himself, has moved a lot of equipment such as this, and knew exactly what to do and how to do it safely. I think it was worth it.

So, we've got a bit more tied up in this than I really wanted to pay, but I see it as an investment...anytime I want to sell it I'll get it all back and then some...the vise alone costs about $900.00 new.

Yea, I'm gloating about both the mill and my wife.

I'm constantly making things for her...she loves to cook, so I make wooden kitchen utensils, a custom knife block for her cutlery, etc.

On the Erickson spindle: It's neither R-8 nor Morse, but another beast altogether that resembles the larger Caterpiller 40 and 50 tapers used on a lot of CNC stuff. Here is a link with a good explanation of some various tapers, click on the "NMTB" and "Erickson Quick Change" links to see what I have.

My spindle is hollow, and will accept a 1/2" drawbar, so I'm not limited solely to the Erickson stuff, but can use most any 30 taper tools.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html