PDA

View Full Version : Acetylene tip with ruby?

Black_Moons
09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi, Apon looking closely at my micro oxy/fuel torch, I noticed the #3 tip looked diffrent then the others.. For one, it had 3 stamped twice on it, where as the rest only have thier size stamped one.
The tip also has a clear red insert on the very tip where the gas is ignited. Does not seem to scratch from a standard high carbon steel scriber.

Could this be some kinda, ruby tiped tip? What is the material likey for? Can you get bigger torchs with this kinda insert? All my other torch tips are just brass(?)

Plain ol Bill
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
That is exactly what it is. My Smith little torch has three different sizes with ruby inserts in them.

loose nut
09-15-2010, 08:48 PM
You don't need ruby tips in the larger sizes, the ruby's are put in the small sizes because a brass tip would erode away to fast (I don't know why) and the hole size would get bigger, the tip would no longer function correctly. If you didn't get special low pressure regulators with the torch it won't work properly with these extra small tips., the gas pressure needs to be set at a level below what a regular regulator can function reliably at.

ckelloug
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
As the tip size gets smaller, the velocity of the gas stream coming out is likely to be higher than in a larger tip. This would account for a need to make the tip harder since molecules of a faster gas stream have more kinetic energy and are thus more prone to eroding the tip. So says Bernouli's principle anyway.

JRouche
09-15-2010, 11:50 PM
As the tip size gets smaller, the velocity of the gas stream coming out is likely to be higher than in a larger tip. This would account for a need to make the tip harder since molecules of a faster gas stream have more kinetic energy and are thus more prone to eroding the tip. So says Bernouli's principle anyway.

Now thats a funny explanation... I actually think its cause the hole is so small its easier to make a correct sized hole in synthetic sapphire than soft copper. Oh yeah. You should see the flame size with the #2 tip, I have the "Smith Equipment's Little Torch". The #2 (with oxy-act) flame size is just at a 1/4" and very thin. But dont be surprised. The flame is still 6000*. Just not as much potential as a large torch. Kinda like a high current low voltage source, like an electric welder JR