PDA

View Full Version : Source for brass set screws in Canada

cuslog
09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Guys;
Looking for a source for brass set screws in Canada.
6-32, 8-32- 10-32.
I've tried Mcmaster-Carr and they won't ship to me, even if I have it shipped to my Customs Broker in Blaine, WA. :mad: I just don't understand that.:confused:
I tried BC fasteners and they are 5X the Mcmaster-Carr price. :(

Thanks.

RancherBill
09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Fastenal has them. They have Canadian branches. They are in Kelowna and Kamloops. (http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex?action=search&searchType=locations&zip=salmon+arm&state=BC)

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=0&Ntk=Search+All&Ntt=brass+set+screw+6-32&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&searchBox=1 (http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=0&Ntk=Search+All&Ntt=brass+set+screw+6-32&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&searchBox=1)

BillDaCatt
09-16-2010, 01:36 PM
If you don't have any luck finding them locally, I've had good results with cutting a screwdriver slot in a short section of bolt or threaded rod.

ADGO_Racing
09-16-2010, 01:49 PM
How many do you need and how long?

fredwillis
09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
If You can use steel screws just part off a tiny plug of brass or plastic if the screw rest on threads like the pre load nuts on a mill spindle. I'm guessing you dont want to bung a shaft or a threaded set collar.

cuslog
09-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Fastenal is also 5X the McMaster-Carr price. I expected higher in Canada but not 5X !
Gotta be brass. I'm converting Holley carbs to replaceable air bleeds by drilling them lengthwise.
Adgo Racing probably knows what I'm doing.
6-32 x 3/16
8-32 x 3/16
10-32 x 1/4
100 each

ADGO_Racing
09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Funny you should say that...:D

Let me see what I can do.

Socket head or slotted?

cuslog
09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Socket head.

Fasttrack
09-16-2010, 04:36 PM
cuslog - if ADGO Racing can't help you, let me know. I'll order whatever you want and ship them your way. They'd probably go in an envelope for practically nothing.

RancherBill
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Fastenal is also 5X the McMaster-Carr price. I expected higher in Canada but not 5X !

Give the order desk a call. I am sure they are showing the single piece price. I am sure the box (100) price is a lot lower. List price is just the start of negotiations. Tell them they are for carbs on engine driven wheelchairs for local handicapped kids. :D :D :D

At least they will sell you the parts.

[rant-on] I wonder why McCarr doesn't want to sell to Canadians. This great made in the USA stuff is only available to Americans. It seems silly that all their American (buy USA) customers would DEMAND that they would export to Canada. Even Princess Auto (similar to HF) has now started to carry USA brands to support customers who want to buy something from this continent and the jobs it creates.[rant-off]

Prospect
09-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Spaenaur.ca carrys them.

http://www.spaenaur.ca/view_pdf.asp?Page=B289

The cataloque takes a long time to load. John

MaxHeadRoom
09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Spaenaur.ca carrys them.

You beat me to it!.
The first time I ordered they sent me a hard copy Catalogue.
Max.

cuslog
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys !
I'll follow up on these tomorrow.
I do understand why some companies don't want to ship outside their own country. There is a certain amount of paperwork that has to be filled out. But what I really don't get is that I gave them my name C/O my customs broker in Blaine WA, the broker does the paperwork (for a fee) and forwards them on to me (for another fee).

darryl
09-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Whatever happened to free trade? I though NAFTA was supposed to get rid of all this stupid crap between the friendly countries on this continent-

MaxHeadRoom
09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Whatever happened to free trade? I though NAFTA was supposed to get rid of all this stupid crap between the friendly countries on this continent-

Although NAFTA eliminated most of the tariffs, Unfortunately you still have to go through the process of submitting paper work (B3) & Certificate of Origin in order to clear customs.
You can do it yourself as all the forms and tariff listing are on the web, but it is quite a process.
Max.

Enraged
09-17-2010, 01:01 PM
You can also try Indufast, I've had good luck with them: http://www.indufast.com/locations.html

Black_Moons
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
At least they will sell you the parts.

[rant-on] I wonder why McCarr doesn't want to sell to Canadians. This great made in the USA stuff is only available to Americans. It seems silly that all their American (buy USA) customers would DEMAND that they would export to Canada. Even Princess Auto (similar to HF) has now started to carry USA brands to support customers who want to buy something from this continent and the jobs it creates.[rant-off]

From what iv heard/googled, Mcmaster does no longer ship to any new customers outside the USA after the USA fined them about $5000 for shiping to some people on a terrorist watch list.. In iraq/iran...
A list that you are not allowed to see.. you basicly have to blindly request to see if someone is on the list or not, and then if they *dont* reply in a few weeks, they are not on the list. Wonderful way to try and conduct business.

Yes, the terrorists won by removing our ability to buy from mcmaster.. Purely by allowing the USA's paranoia to run rampant and then having the right people order a couple nuts and bolts avilable at every hardware store.

And lets be honest. $5000 to mcmaster is a drop in the ocean. So shame on mcmaster too! And canada != iran. Shame on you all. (Mcmaster+American goverment)

PS: I don't mind mcmaster restricting some stuff to USA, Like, any kinda military/aerospace spec parts, all chemicals (Post office doesnt like to ship most chemicals anyway), etc etc.. But come on, All I want is some SHCS. Why can't I order those? Or some metal bar, or a spring, etc.

RancherBill
09-17-2010, 10:05 PM
From what iv heard/googled, Mcmaster does no longer ship to any new customers outside the USA after the USA fined them about $5000 for shiping to some people on a terrorist watch list..

It makes sense, but it really doesn't. I used to sell high tech electronics and computer equipment. I have sold Mil Spec parts and Missile Mil Spec parts to local customers. There was NO HASSLE getting them from the US. The US, Canada, Britain and other had export control legislation.

It seems like there is a period of excessive caution in the US. This McCarr is an example and the US Customs at the border is another.

ADGO_Racing
09-17-2010, 10:25 PM
PS: I don't mind mcmaster restricting some stuff to USA, Like, any kinda military/aerospace spec parts, all chemicals (Post office doesnt like to ship most chemicals anyway), etc etc.. But come on, All I want is some SHCS. Why can't I order those? Or some metal bar, or a spring, etc.

Yeah, but you are using those SHCS to "assemble" the metal bars and springs into a warhead in your basement......

We can't be too careful.....:D