PDA

View Full Version : questions about die filers

loose nut
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I am currently rebuilding what appears to be an old die filer and have a couple of questions about them.

How many strokes a minute is the proper rate using a die filer and should this be variable in some way.

In using a hand file it should never be drawn back across the work piece but lifted off and replace ready for the next stroke. This doesn't appear to be possible with a filer and the file would be drawn across the work piece, how does this work??

Should there be some sort of support behind the file to keep it from deflecting as the work is pushed against it.

Thanks.

J. R. Williams
09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Do a search and you should be able to find a photo of the back-up assembly for a die filer. It is adjustable and has a small roller. The file moves straight up and down.

JRW

PeteM
09-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Some die filers have variable speeds, clearly an advantage. However, mine is a single speed and works OK in both steel and aluminum. Don't know the strokes per minute, but it's a 1725-1750 or so rpm motor. If you have the original pulleys, yours should be OK.

Most die filers have an optional rear rolling support. However in lots of cases they beam strength of the file is all that supports -- as in tight internal filing.

Don't know anyone that made a die filer that retracts on the return stroke -- and it would probably be hard to control (work pressure would vibrate back and forth). So, a bit of extra wear on the file is what we have to expect.

J Tiers
09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
One that retracts would be a pain to use, it would bang and vibrate the work. I had one that held some files at an angle, with a similar result.....NOT good.

Some have an arm with a roller to back up the file, like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/MDF2oa.jpg

Some have a "top slide" to hold the upper end of the file. These are less convenient if you need to file the inside of a 'closed form", but work fine otherwise, and are more solid than the arm, in general. You need to be rather careful in adjusting the top slide, or it will bang against a travel limit..... like the "head" of a shaper....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/ovrarmfront1.jpg