PDA

View Full Version : Brown & Sharpe 2L surface grinder

Bill McLeod
09-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I just bought this machine and it has not run for a very long time. It is a single motor flat belt set up, very long belt. The belt has taken on some rather permanent kinks. Any ideas on regaining some flexibilty? I am think along the lines of the same types of products that you would use on leather boots. Any sources for new flat belts if needed?
I have got the manual coming from Ozark's. I have never used this type (age) of machine. It has automatic feeds pre micro switches, should be interesting. I am also thinking it will be slow process grinding anything.
Comments and advice welcome, don't suggest junking it!
Thanks

Walter
09-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Bill,

Look into an automotive serpentine belt. Failing that E-bay has some folks that sells belts of leather as well as composite in any configuration you may want. A nice last resort is McMaster Carr.

Toolguy
09-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Try rubbing it down good with Neet's Foot Oil. If the leather is still solid (not cracked and falling apart) that should help a lot.

Dr Stan
09-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Try rubbing it down good with Neet's Foot Oil. If the leather is still solid (not cracked and falling apart) that should help a lot.

2x on the Neat Foot's oil along with some saddle soap to clean it first.

If it becomes necessary to replace the belt try Travers Tool. I've bought leather belting from them in the past along with the metal clip system to connect the ends. You'll need to call them as I could not find it in the on-line catalog.

On edit:

Another potential source for belting is Tandy Leather.

Bill McLeod
09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
re serpentine maybe, I am guessing a length around 10 feet.
Neets foot oil or something like that is a long the lines of what I am thinking. I have not taken the belt off yet as I just got the machine home, from what I have seen it appears ok.
Any comments on the machine in general? The workings under the table are something else, samething for the auto oiling system looks complex. I'll probably try flushing the oil system with diesel, again comments??

Dr Stan
09-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Any comments on the machine in general? The workings under the table are something else, samething for the auto oiling system looks complex. I'll probably try flushing the oil system with diesel, again comments??

Kinda hard to make comments without pics. However, flushing with diesel is probably a good idea.

Are you thinking of taking the table off and giving it a complete cleaning?

Bill McLeod
09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
re pictures, it's still outside under a tarp while I make a spot for it. As for taking the table off that was my first thought for moving it but I backed off when I took the way cover off and saw the compexity. I am waiting for the manual and will decide then.

Bill Pace
09-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Some of this sure sounds familiar -- Hope you got a better paint job than I did:eek: -- one of the worst I've seen!

Heres a post on an old G&L hyd automatic feed grinder I drug home, and the Y automatic feed was non functional with a lot of parts missing - along with a good handful of parts missing in other areas also! As I said in the post, it is a 1942 model and was one of the first hyd auto feed grinders introduced.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=35809&highlight=bill+pace+G%26amp%3BL

Bill McLeod
09-18-2010, 04:08 PM
the discription of the manual does not mention "Hydraulic" that I can see but it is definitly a possibility and I had not thought of that. The manual discription can be found at Ozarkwoodworking.com and then go to metal machines. I will get some pictures of it soon. There is a diagram at Ozark. The oil tank on the side of the machine says to use way oil so I hoping it is not hydraulic as that might be more of a project than I was looking for right now

Bill Pace
09-18-2010, 05:28 PM
It more than likely is hydraulic --- the mechanism on that G&L for the cross feed was hyd driven, but to just peep under the front of the table it would be easy to think it mechanical. What was visible was the ratcheting mechanism to change directions. However, under the moving table was a very visible cylinder, and of course, opening up the back there was the plumbing, pump, and tank. Though obviously you've looked inside - you found the belt to be 'lumpy', there should be some sign of a pump, etc...

Youe oil tank on the side is probably a "one shot" type (Bijur?) oil system to lube the ways, screws, etc -- which is almost certain to have several of the outlets clogged:(. Its almost a given several will be clogged on old machines...

rolland
09-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Instead of neatsfoot oil you might try olive oil. Local custom saddle maker recommends it over the neatsfoot. That is all I ever used on my saddles and it keeps them very well.

duckman
09-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Instead of leather look into an endless woven belt no clicking of the metal lacing going over the pulleys and possible little marks in your ground surface JMHO. :D Good luck thats why I like direct drive spindles.

Bill McLeod
09-18-2010, 06:08 PM
to Bill Pace if send me a PM with your email I'll send a couple of pictures of under the table from the top. i don't know how to post pictures but I guess I am going to learn soon. I still have not seen a pump, cyl or other tank. You might recognize something.

thanks

Bill Pace
09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
This is a pic of Bill McLeod's Brown & Sharpe 2L grinder -- he sent it to me, so I'll post it while he's figuring how to get pics posted, in hopes somebody knows something about it ---

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/IMG_0692.jpg

lane
09-18-2010, 09:58 PM
That is a mechanical grinder Not Hydraulic.Oil system is to lubricate the ways. Lots of monkey motion going on when in use .

duckman
09-19-2010, 01:13 AM
No the picture shows a hydraulic operated table see the reverser dogs and wheres the table hand wheel, pull the lever down thats on the right side and with the pump running the table will start to go back and forth.