PDA

View Full Version : So guess what this will make...

Liger Zero
09-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Here is a shot of the bottom half of a rubber injection mold...

See if you can guess what it is I'm making here. :D

Give you a hint... if you were an old-school lineman you'd be shocked to find out that they are made of polymer now, not ceramics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Lizoid/DSC00094.jpg

Everything is arriving on schedule, we should be able to restart production end of October. :D:D

RWO
09-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Looks like a high voltage suspension insulator.

RWO

squirrel
09-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Looks like High Voltage insulators, I can remember calculating the charge in electromagnetic theory class!

danlb
09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, that's three of us that guessed correctly.

It helped that I knew what a 'lineman' is, but I already had an inkling.

Dan

RobbieKnobbie
09-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Any shots of the finished product?

Black_Moons
09-18-2010, 02:01 PM
What plastic are you injecting into those?

Should'nt they have a slight mushroom shape to the rain seperators to keep it from forming a wet path as the droplets can travel along vertical surfaces? I thought thats why the old ones where basicly bowl shaped seperators.

Liger Zero
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Suspension insulator / "dead-end" insulator depending on the hardware we install on the ends.

I'll have to post pictures of a finished product later.

They are shaped in such a way that the water will flow off of the sheds, and the material also plays a roll in the water-flow dynamic as well.

The material... a special "flavor" of EPDM rubber. The core consists of a fiberglass rods, the rubber forms a "boot" and "shed" structure over the rod. On the ends of the rod... depending on the customer, the desired application and other deep mojo we crimp/silicon-bond metal hardware. The most common design is a Eye And Clevis design.

Now specifically, this is a 25KV rated insulator. I will also be molding a 15KV and a 35KV rated unit as well.

Got all the special test equipment in house already, as well as the hardware assembly equipment.

Each unit has to be "proof tested" to a certain tension... and every 100 units a set has to be tested to it's ultimate yield strength.

As for external certifications... they have to be re-certified every year... or on a vendor change. For example if I change rubber suppliers I have to send samples to the testing lab and they certify the "insulator-ness" and other important numbers.

I have all this stuff documented in binders, and I actually know quite a bit more that I'm saying... I got a case of Schlitz I'm working through at the moment so I can't be arsed to go get real numbers. :D

Plus I'm watching the wife paint. It is utterly fascinating watching her turn gobs of color into a picture that only exists in her mind. :)

Timleech
09-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Plus I'm watching the wife paint. It is utterly fascinating watching her turn gobs of color into a picture that only exists in her mind. :)

.......and that's just the kitchen wall.... :D

Tim

Mike Burdick
09-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Hmmm...you must have moved to China.

Most of the power line equipment I see is NOT made in the USA.

Arcane
09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Hmmm...you must have moved to China.

Most of the power line equipment I see is NOT made in the USA.

That reminds me...a long time ago some bean counter at our provincial electrical utility decided there was substantial money to be saved by buying 15Kv pin type porcelain insulators from China. Right off the bat you could see the glaze was crappy and as time went on, we had many faults directly attributable to these insulators. They would actually shrink and crack apart! That would sooner or later cause an outage and if we were lucky, just a flashover... if unlucky, it burnt the structure down.Their initial capital saving was spent many many times over replacing them after outages, either on regular time or overtime (not to mention the cost of rebuilding destroyed structures).

Liger Zero
09-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Mike, Lapp and Victor Insulator have huge operations up here still.

Liger Zero
09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
This product line can claim five million installed units since 1996 with only one failure... and the utility company worked closely with the then owners to correct the fault so it can't happen again.

I am taking over production and I am not changing ANYTHING in regards to methods, materials or technique until I get a better grasp on how it all works together. :)

I am at the plant where they are made currently. I'll be here until 4pm... let me see if I can snap a picture or two of the press.

That reminds me...a long time ago some bean counter at our provincial electrical utility decided there was substantial money to be saved by buying 15Kv pin type porcelain insulators from China. Right off the bat you could see the glaze was crappy and as time went on, we had many faults directly attributable to these insulators. They would actually shrink and crack apart! That would sooner or later cause an outage and if we were lucky, just a flashover... if unlucky, it burnt the structure down.Their initial capital saving was spent many many times over replacing them after outages, either on regular time or overtime (not to mention the cost of rebuilding destroyed structures).

Evan
09-19-2010, 01:39 PM
They just installed those in our neighbourhood last week. After they did that my lights have started to flicker. :rolleyes:

Liger Zero
09-19-2010, 01:56 PM
They just installed those in our neighbourhood last week. After they did that my lights have started to flicker. :rolleyes:
A common complaint after installing Victor Insulator's version of our product.

I can solve this very easily.

1) Get the biggest most powerful rifle you have access to.
2) Start your backup generator and disconnect from the grid.
2.5) Tell your buddy "ya'll come here watch this now." Tell your other buddy "Here ya'll hold my beer for me." (**)
3) Go outside and shoot the mother*****er off the pole.
4) Repeat until ALL of them throughout the town are gone or you run out of ammo or you get arrested.
5) Tell your utility company to insist on Volt Tek brand Dead End Insulators. Tell them to order direct and tell them that Brian sent you.

(*) Very Serious Disclaimer: Please do not shoot at insulators on telephone poles as this could result in very serious sh1t happening such as BLAZING ELECTRIC DEATH caused by falling wires or you could get ARRESTED.
(**) Regional dialect may vary.

Evan
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing there is a crappy neutral and they disturbed it when they were up the pole. I will have to make some oscillograms of the power to see what I can find. It so happen that the lead engineer in charge of BC hydro Transmission Systems owes me a favor since I took pictures of his insulators during the fire season. :D

Liger Zero
09-19-2010, 02:07 PM
One of the big hydro companies up in Canada has a lab that does part of our certification testing. I forget which one.

vincemulhollon
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
A common complaint after installing Victor Insulator's version of our product.

I can solve this very easily.

You forgot step 2.5, tell your buddy "hold my beer and watch this" famous last words. Apparently also often heard in the recent "drinking and milling" thread.

This is a VERY popular recreational activity in certain ethnic areas around my hometown on New Years Eve/Day at midnight. Resulting in a big frown on my face when the shooters are so drunk they hit my harmless fiber optic cables instead of your insulators.

Despite popular belief, the kevlar strand in the fiber jacket does not make aerial cable "bulletproof"

Which brings up a vaguely on topic question, I have been told that your insulators (or your competitors products) use the same kevlar strand / braid that our fiber uses, since its so nicely non-conductive with immense tensile strength. Or maybe not, just hearsay. None the less I wonder how it (Kevlar) tolerates the heat of your molds?

Liger Zero
09-19-2010, 03:13 PM
All I can say is it is a fiber-glass rod, specific to our product and one of our competitive advantages over the other brands out there. :)

kf2qd
09-19-2010, 03:45 PM
LigerZero -

I used to work for one of the companies making the machinery for producing those insulators from ceramic. Used to have a few green clay samples of the 12" diameter ones. Kept them after seeing the die that I finished do its work.

Liger Zero
09-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I have various samples of the ceramic/porcelain/glass ones, they are in the store-room. I never realized that there were so many TYPES of power line insulators... The ones we make are for a specific application in specific settings... all governed by a body of literature and rules more complicated than the Tax Code.

Seriously the tax code is easy to understand: If you make up to this amount, send the government money. If you make this amount, you can dodge the system. If you fall into this bracket, taxes may or may not apply to you depending on your political clout.

Electrical engineering... not so much. That stuff'll KILL you and burn down your neighborhood if you aren't careful.

DFMiller
09-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Is it PowerTech in Surrey BC? They have a nice lab that does lots of destructive testing. Ita cool being in a meeting when they set a transformer off. A big thump that you feel.
Dave

Liger Zero
09-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Is it PowerTech in Surrey BC? They have a nice lab that does lots of destructive testing. Ita cool being in a meeting when they set a transformer off. A big thump that you feel.
Dave

Ontario Hydro. :)

But thanks for the name I'll google them up and see if they can be of assistance down the road! :)