PDA

View Full Version : Belt lacing question Clipper VS Alligator

J Tiers
09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
For thinnish (0.125/3.2mm) canvas reinforced rubber belting:

1) which is stronger? Clipper or Alligator?

2) although I don't get much trouble with the clips causing slipping, which one is least likely to slip? (looks like the clipper obstructs less of the surface)

I hadn't realized that both were available still......

I have been using the Alligator, but it is sort of clumsy looking, clumsy to apply, makes big holes, and I thought that next time I make a belt, I might want to try the clipper type.

oldtiffie
09-19-2010, 01:21 AM
If I recall correctly, an old South-Bend lathe users hand-book had a method of lacing leather belts. I'd imagine that it will work on "0.125/3.2mm canvas reinforced rubber belting".

wierdscience
09-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I use clipper on all my transmission belts.Alligator lacing is really intended for conveyor belting.Never had a clipper pull out in normal use.

J Tiers
09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I use clipper on all my transmission belts.Alligator lacing is really intended for conveyor belting.

Odd, I had thought it was the reverse...... Every conveyor belt I ever see is Clipper, but a reasonable proportion of the power belts are Alligator.

I now have a small clipper vise tool, complete with pin and scissors, so I can do clipper belts up to about 2" or so.

Mcostello
09-20-2010, 10:38 PM
With 14 years doing belts(no job anymore) it was always what the customer wanted. Fastners used interchangeably for better or worse. If you can pull out one kind you can also pullout the other. Prefer Clipper, Unibar is the best,easier to install and looks neater appearancewise. Alligators will snake on a long belt.