PDA

View Full Version : "For Sale"

William33902
09-20-2010, 03:39 AM
I see these are not allowed here. Is there a forum for that kind of stuff? Somewhere other than Ebay to find and get rid of older equipment?

Astronowanabe
09-20-2010, 03:59 AM
practical machinist

rockrat
09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Craigslist

rock~

bborr01
09-20-2010, 09:11 AM
+1 for craigslist if you live near a larger metropolitan area. You don't say in your posts where you are from.

I have bought and sold LOTS of tools and equipment on craigslist, (mostly bought) but I have several fairly large cities within a reasonable drive.

It's worth a try. After all, it is free. What have you got to lose.

Brian

Paul Alciatore
09-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Practical Machinist has a whole forum for that. And it is free.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-sale-wanted/

jep24601
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I registered on Practical Machinist as JEP but could never post. I was interested in the for sale section too. I searched for some email that I might have missed that would require my response but could not find one. The web site recognises who I am when I go there. So I emailed Practical Machinist (I think it was info@.... ) explaining my problem but received no response.

So I registered again as jep24601 with a different email address and watched closely for a confirmatory email to respond to but nothing appeared.

Would some kind soul kindly post my quandary over on the PM site to see if something can be resolved.

Many thanks John Page

William33902
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I registered on Practical Machinist as JEP but could never post. I was interested in the for sale section too. I searched for some email that I might have missed that would require my response but could not find one. The web site recognises who I am when I go there. So I emailed Practical Machinist (I think it was info@.... ) explaining my problem but received no response.

So I registered again as jep24601 with a different email address and watched closely for a confirmatory email to respond to but nothing appeared.

Would some kind soul kindly post my quandary over on the PM site to see if something can be resolved.

Many thanks John Page

+1 (me too)

squirrel
09-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Most of the people selling on PM are buying the stuff on eBay and reselling it on PM.

Hal
09-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Squirrel

How did you come by this bit of knowledge ?

Hal

Mcgyver
09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Squirrel

How did you come by this bit of knowledge ?

likewise, why do you think this - examples?

metalmagpie
09-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Most of the people selling on PM are buying the stuff on eBay and reselling it on PM.

BS. If you don't like the prices don't buy. What a crock.

DickDastardly40
09-21-2010, 05:31 AM
In the UK we have, managed I think by Sir John's son:

www.homeworkshop.org.uk

which I've bought and sold a few bits and pieces on, always with satisactory results. I always have a nose every couple of days to see if anything interesting is on.

Tony Griffiths site, www.lathes.co.uk has a for sale and wanted section also.

Too_Many_Tools
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
You might want to note The Don of PM uses Ebay to sell his junk...not his PM sales section.

TMT

J. Randall
09-22-2010, 03:04 AM
I have heard Don mention in the past that he just deletes a lot of the nonsensical log in names, as a large part of them are spammers. If you don't want to use your real name, then at least use one that sounds real, also post a location, does not have to be specific, just a state will do. You will have a lot better chance of being accepted.
James

Davo J
09-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Spamming seems to becoming more of a problem at PM so it might be your name. I have had a few emails on their that were just that.
I don't see how you could think they buy on ebay and sell on PM, the prices on PM are usually way cheaper than ebay will ever be. I have wanted a few things but the postage is the killer.

Dave

Dr Stan
09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I too would like the HSM to add a for sale/trade sub-forum, but that is up to Village Press. I can see why VP may be reluctant since it could be construed as competition with the paid advertisers.

I believe it would add to the site especially since the items would (I hope) be targeted for the HSMer such as SB lathes, smaller versions of accessories, etc some of which Milicron deletes from PM and/or bans the poster.

Just my $0.02

Stan

gnm109
09-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Craigslist is good for machines and tooling that is heavy be4cause it's local. If you put a lathe or milling machine on eBay, there's always the issue of dealing with the shipping.

I've listed things for sale on PM recently and never heard from anyone. I then listed the items (Bridgeport X and Y CNC drives) on eBay and they sold immediately.

I doubt that people are using PM to resell eBay items. If they are, it's not very effective from what I can tell.

MichaelP
09-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Actually, it's quite easy to sell items on PM. But only if you're an active member of the forums (not just a merchant) and your items are presented and priced correctly. Have photos and honest descriptions, behave respectfully, and you'll be able to find your buyer and avoid flaming. But, again, be decent with your pricing: the site is occupied by experienced buyers, so don't expect them to pay top dollars for junk or 75% of current resale value for a 10-year old marvel. People there are not stupid.

gnm109
09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Actually, it's quite easy to sell items on PM. But only if you're an active member of the forums (not just a merchant) and your items are presented and priced correctly. Have photos and honest descriptions, behave respectfully, and you'll be able to find your buyer and avoid flaming. But, again, be decent with your pricing: the site is occupied by experienced buyers, so don't expect them to pay top dollars for junk or 75% of current resale value for a 10-year old marvel. People there are not stupid.

I agree. We should all emulate the PM site owner. He's always respectful and never flames anyone.

Dr Stan
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree. We should all emulate the PM site owner. He's always respectful and never flames anyone.

I'll assume that is v e r y tongue in cheek. :D

gnm109
09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I'll assume that is v e r y tongue in cheek. :D

Gee, Dr. Stan.....he's always been wonderful to me....one reason being that I seldom post there much anymore.

Actually, it was somewhat tongue in cheek. I'm still chuckling about MichaelP's comments above. He's trying to tell me that my crap didn't sell on PM because I didn't have photos, was dishonest and was also disrespectful....Nothing like being helpful.

Unfortunately, he's attempting to preach to the choir while, at the same time, teach granny how to suck eggs.

This is why I love the internet. So many posters busily stating things that are completely obvious in so many different ways while also being somewhat obsequious to avoid unnecessary discussion and controversy.....All in good fun, I suppose. (yawn)

Too_Many_Tools
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM

And let us not forget his unending love for the HSM BBS site, its mods and its members. ;<)

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I too would like the HSM to add a for sale/trade sub-forum, but that is up to Village Press. I can see why VP may be reluctant since it could be construed as competition with the paid advertisers.

I believe it would add to the site especially since the items would (I hope) be targeted for the HSMer such as SB lathes, smaller versions of accessories, etc some of which Milicron deletes from PM and/or bans the poster.

Just my $0.02

Stan

Not to mention that we could post buy and sell requests for Asian machines and tooling...something that Don wishes he could allow but can't.

TMT

MichaelP
09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
He's trying to tell me that my crap didn't sell on PM because I didn't have photos, was dishonest and was also disrespectful..No he is not. He has no idea about your ad on PM, its wording, presence of photos, etc. In fact, he was reacting to Dr.Stan's post just above yours and giving a general advice to the OP.

But he understands that your confusion is perfectly valid considering the sequence of the posts. :)

P.S. By the way, I support Stan's idea to have "For Sale/WTB" section here. It will, definitely, be helpful. But I'd impose a similar set of rules as on PM (no commercial ads, no outsiders, etc.).

squirrel
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.......... This is the best site, friendly folks with plenty of knowledge and willing to help.

oldtiffie
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dr Stan

Just my $0.02

Stan

Not to mention that we could post buy and sell requests for Asian machines and tooling...something that Don wishes he could allow but can't.

TMT

My guess is that as the Moderators (2) 0 George Bulliss and Craig Foster scan/read most thread headings and many posts, and given also that this is about a Village Press policy issue, that they'd have read a lot of this thread.

Also given that neither have made a comment by now as regards this Policy issue, that its quite likely (very??) that there will be no change.

In short, the status quo - current state and policy - are not going to change any time soon.

VP does not have to explain its policy at all - we just have to accept it for what it is - like it or not.

It seems that some have either forgotten, not read or chosen to ignore the very clear policy - for all categories - on the front page the forum - here (my emphasis):

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.php

General (244 Viewing)
This forum reserved for your comments and discussion about anything pertaining to our magazines or machining and metalworking in general. It's a place for feedback, idea exchange, criticism, kudos, sharing your expertise, your hobby or virtually anything else that other home shop machinists would be interested in. I will be monitoring it on a regular basis and will participate as it seems appropriate. However, for the most part, it's your forum. I hope you will use it regularly. “For Sale” posts are not allowed.

Home Shop Welding (4 Viewing)

Digital Machinist (1 Viewing)
A place for CNC projects and discussion. "For Sale” posts are not allowed.

Gunsmithing (5 Viewing)
Discuss gunsmith projects and techniques here. Political, gun control, or "For Sale" posts will not be allowed.

Networking (6 Viewing)
Need to brainstorm? Feeling isolated? Here's another forum for you to connect with other hobby machinists who share your specific interest. Fill in the information slots and add a brief statement about your interest and whom you would like to hear from. You can remove your listing at any time. "For Sale” posts are not allowed

Third Hand (15 Viewing)
This forum is for seeking and finding help in a variety of ways. You may be seeking advice on a way of solving a problem you have in your shop. Or possibly you just bought a used lathe or some other machine tool, but the seller didn't have an owner's manual, parts list or operating instructions, so you are in need of one. Perhaps you want to contact a manufacturer, but don't have any information about their address or phone. In other words, any help you need can be solicited here. One thing we insist upon, however; this is not a place to sell something. Also, out of courtesy to the helper, the offer of payment for photocopies and postage is certainly in order.

Digital Machinist CNC Workshop
This forum is for information and discussion about the Digital Machinist CNC Workshop.

It all seems pretty clear and very well laid out and stated.

My preference is that it be left as it is.

There are plenty (too many??) other sites where stuff can be bought and sold - I can't see that we need one here.

gnm109
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't really see the need a for sale section here. I do OK on eBay and Craigslist. If you have some people here you know, you can offer it to them with a private message.

AllThumbz
09-23-2010, 08:08 AM
On PM, they want you to contribute before you can post in the wanted-for sale area. (Not to mention if they don't like your ad, they will insult you).

There is a wanted-buy-trade forum on my new site:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com

The site is brand new, so it will be a while before it is very populated.

Best,

Nelson

Rex
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Seems to me I recall seeing personal classified ads in older issues of HSM.

gnm109
09-24-2010, 04:14 PM
On PM, they want you to contribute before you can post in the wanted-for sale area. (Not to mention if they don't like your ad, they will insult you).

There is a wanted-buy-trade forum on my new site:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com

The site is brand new, so it will be a while before it is very populated.

Best,

Nelson

I don't mean to contradict but I've placed ads there and have not been asked to contribute. Is there a place to "contribute"....?

Rex
09-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't mean to contradict but I've placed ads there and have not been asked to contribute. Is there a place to "contribute"....?

Not money, information. PM is like a few other boards, you can't post to Classifieds until you have contributed a certain number of posts in the discussion areas.

gnm109
09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Not money, information. PM is like a few other boards, you can't post to Classifieds until you have contributed a certain number of posts in the discussion areas.

Well, I guess I'm OK, I've got a lot of posts there. Don't post there much anymore. I think they mainly object to first timers using the classifieds.

MichaelP
09-25-2010, 03:07 AM
They give some sale ad allowance for the first time users as an exception, but don't allow abusing this.

recoilless
09-25-2010, 04:55 AM

I believe this might be an example of what squirrel is referring to:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tooling-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/ot-frivolous-posts-193380/

squirrel
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Interesting post, do you know "Stan's" ebay ID, I will look in the database and see if he is one of them. The other problem is most of them have multiple accounts on eBay and for posting on the forums. Most of the forums do not track IP's and most importantly the MAC address so nailing them down is much harder.

deltaenterprizes
09-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Interesting post, do you know "Stan's" ebay ID, I will look in the database and see if he is one of them. The other problem is most of them have multiple accounts on eBay and for posting on the forums. Most of the forums do not track IP's and most importantly the MAC address so nailing them down is much harder.

Stan no longer posts on PM since he was accused of buying items and reselling them and not disposing of his personal tool.
His last post was 4/29/10

squirrel
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
1 down and many more to go!!, after reading some of the comments I believe they booted him out because he was an ebay'r at heart, passing out poor descriptions and grainy photos then "HIDING BEHIND THE IMAGINARY INTERNET WALL"

Allen Hunt
09-25-2010, 01:07 PM
There is a for sale section for metal working machines on OWWM.ORG and it is ORG not com.

You have to register on the site first to see the for sale forums, which are labeled BOYD for Bring Out Your Dead. They are a very nice group of folks on owwm.org.

Allen Hunt

deltaenterprizes
09-25-2010, 02:11 PM
The Home Machinist has a for sale section also: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php