PDA

View Full Version : New impact gun design

Black_Moons
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Has anyone else seen the new right angle impact guns ingersoll rand put out?
http://www.kmstools.com/ingersoll-rand-1-2-low-profile-hammerhead-impact-10206
They also sell a 3/8" with the exact same specs/photo/price($-10), Maybe just the same one with a diffrent sized head?

Rather pricey for my tastes... I might wait untill a $100 clone comes out, but looks really useful! And its not often a new design comes out.

I really can't see how you'd even use a normal 1/2" impact gun on.. Any bolt under the hood of a car. Its so bulky and long. 3/8" butterflys are cute, but seem to not have a very high torque rating. I allways wondered why there where no right angle impacts. Now I wonder how it works?

Anyone here actualy played with one in person? Sure would be tempting in a $100 price range... But I can't see it being worth the $349 for a hobbiest like me.. Well, Ok, I kinda can.. but not really. For someone into cars I could see it... I hate working on cars. a tool like that sure would make it nicer.

Alistair Hosie
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
As far as I know the market is flooded with clones of this.Alistair

ikdor
09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
There are plenty of normal air ratchets, but the reaction torque plus the clumsy trigger often gets me into trouble, pinching fingers etc. (maybe I'm just not operating it right, but they come without a manual :o )

This reactionless impact design seems a lot more usefull.

Igor

JoeBean
09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
I owned one and sold it. A few of the problems I found were:
1. 180 lb-ft peak. The torque is too low for anything you'd really need an impact for, unless your hands are really beat up, so think of it more as an air ratchet. Not necessarily a bad thing on it's own.
2. The 2" height is deceptive. With the thicker body, the typically larger than 3/8" (except for low-pro) sockets, and your hand there are surprisingly few places it'll go that a regular impact wouldn't work.
3. The housing sticks out to the top & sides of the drive. So again, it won't fit in tight places.

But I wanted it for modern cars & small trucks. It might not be so bad for working on large trucks, older big American cars, etc.

A.K. Boomer
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Iv never owned an air ratchet and never will...

bborr01
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I have owned the same Rodac 3/8 air ratchet for over 30 years and used it hundreds of times.

My only gripe with it is it is noisy.

I have pinched my hands/knuckles a few times but you learn how to avoid it for the most part.

I have not seen the impact types but they sound interesting, although not at $349.

Brian

rode2rouen
09-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Iv never owned an air ratchet and never will...

OK, I'll bite.
Why not?

Rex

A.K. Boomer
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Iv never had the need --- Iv gone up against tens of thousands of fasteners and have won every battle,
I don't like the mindset while using an air ratchet, iv watched other that do - they tend to miss things along the way,
I use a "get it gun" for things like wheel lugs and stuff and then use a torque wrench --- but that's just staring at a wheel,

When im under the hood I welcome the good old fashioned hand ratchet, it slows me down - I then end up looking around while using it - there's something about knowing you have a mundane task at hand and that its going to take a little time to achieve --- the hand ratchet is second nature now, it does not require any thought process at all - it's just a natural thing that when I go into this mode that then my eyes start to wander, It gets me either thinking about the next procedure of the job at hand or I can't tell you how many times iv seen vacuum hoses disconnected or bolts missing in important places or a hundred other different things, Not to get cocky - but I also can't tell you when the last time was that I had a "come back" that was my fault It's been many many years and maybe even over a decade as Iv really only had a few my entire 30+ some year career,,, I was going to say "knock on wood" but screw it - that's a saying that counts on luck, this ain't about luck - for the most part this is up to me.

Personally I find air ratchets distracting - in short they Fuque with my Zen.

Many times people say "never say never"

They don't know what the hell their talking about ------- I will never own or use an air ratchet...

bborr01
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Iv never had the need --- Iv gone up against tens of thousands of fasteners and have won every battle,
I don't like the mindset while using an air ratchet, iv watched other that do - they tend to miss things along the way,
I use a "get it gun" for things like wheel lugs and stuff and then use a torque wrench --- but that's just staring at a wheel,

When im under the hood I welcome the good old fashioned hand ratchet, it slows me down - I then end up looking around while using it - there's something about knowing you have a mundane task at hand and that its going to take a little time to achieve --- the hand ratchet is second nature now, it does not require any thought process at all - it's just a natural thing that when I go into this mode that then my eyes start to wander, It gets me either thinking about the next procedure of the job at hand or I can't tell you how many times iv seen vacuum hoses disconnected or bolts missing in important places or a hundred other different things, Not to get cocky - but I also can't tell you when the last time was that I had a "come back" that was my fault It's been many many years and maybe even over a decade as Iv really only had a few my entire 30+ some year career,,, I was going to say "knock on wood" but screw it - that's a saying that counts on luck, this ain't about luck - for the most part this is up to me.

Many times people say "never say never"

They don't know what the hell their talking about ------- I will never own or use an air ratchet...

To each his own.

You can't miss what you have never had.

I just replaced the exhaust manifold on my trailblazer a couple weeks ago and my trusty air ratchet saved me a fair amount of time and a lot of elbow grease. The bolts are in with thread locker and came out hard all of the way.

If my 30+ year old air ratchet crapped out today, I would be looking for a new one right away.

Brian

kendall
09-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm in the middle on using them. Too many times especially on modern cars I've run in bolts that simply don't have swing room for a regular ratchet, the air ratchet slips right in and handles it. I don't use one on a regular basis, but make sure mine are in good shape.

With Boomer on taking time to do the job and inspecting everything whenever you're doing something under the hood. You can catch a lot of issues before they're a problem.

Dave P.
09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I have several, this is my favorite
http://www.mytoolstore.com/ir/ir111.html
They can be great time savers.
Dave P.

Black_Moons
09-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Dave P.: Reactionless air rachet?? Now thats a weird one, Cross breed impact gun/air rachet or just a gimik?

I'll note not to buy the $30 air rachet clones.. iv had one or two and it seems about half the time (Usally when used on things they are not normaly for, like driving screws), they don't work right, as in, the rachet head just moves back and forth.. but something in the mechanism is too loose or tight or not enough teeth on the powl because the socket just shakes back and forth insted of actualy driving forward.

rode2rouen
09-21-2010, 05:03 PM

:rolleyes:

Your Old Dog
09-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I use an air impact wrench for exactly the opposite reason as Boomer. I've never finished a project without having to take it apart a few times to get it right! The wench saves me a lot of time.