PDA

View Full Version : "Rat Rod" style surface grinder tool gloat

Cobbler
09-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I recently picked up this Boyar & Schultz 6x12 surface grinder. So often we see people write about their photos, "It looks better than the photo." Well... not the case here. This old machine looks pretty bad.... but.... It works really nice. When we were loading it on the trailer, the guy I bought it from and I had the under cabinet and it slipped out of his hands because a big sheet of paint let loose!

The motor is 110volt AND spins counterclockwise as you stand at the controls (the arrow on the wheel guard points that way also). Are either of these two features normal? I'm not really complaining about either... this is my one and only exposure to a surface grinder so I "really don't know any better":D

I have no plans for any sort of restoration or beautification.... my whole shop is full of these old "rat rod" machines.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x308/kennyrolling/0363.jpg

winchman
09-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Spinning CCW lets you use right hand threads on the arbor. The chip shield is on the right end to go along with the motor direction and the arrow on the shield. All is well.

lazlo
09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Spinning CCW lets you use right hand threads on the arbor.

Weird, the grit will fling to the right, and the feeds (stepover) will all be backward -- that would totally throw me off! :)

Bill Pace
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
That old G&L grinder I picked up was also set up to run "backwards" - with the necessary right hand nut on it, kinda figured maybe somebody lost the left nut, and just wired it up to run that way...? Seemed odd/awkward/tooo different...

Since it didnt have a wheel guard and I was putting one on, it was quickly obvious that I was gonna need an extension nut, so I went ahead and got a 'leftie' and did the 2 minute re-wire to the motor and now it runs "rightwards" and seems 'normal'

Toolguy
09-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I must be missing something. How could you just change the nut from right to left threads without changing the threads on the spindle to match?

lazlo
09-21-2010, 10:59 AM
I must be missing something. How could you just change the nut from right to left threads without changing the threads on the spindle to match?

The wheel adaptor mounts with a taper (typically 3" per foot). You can buy left-hand and right-hand wheel adapters. If you change the rotation of the spindle, you need to switch handedness of the thread. Is that a word? :)

Dr Stan
09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
If you change the rotation of the spindle, you need to switch handedness of the thread. Is that a word? :)

It is now as I just obtained the copyright. I'll send you a bill. :D

aboard_epsilon
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
the guard on the end of the table suggests it runs counter clockwise .

all the best.markj

Bill Pace
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, using just the term "nut" is sort of a misnomer.. the 'nut' is part of a unit consisting of the nut machined to close tolerances to screw on an adapter that is the diameter of the grind wheel hole and has your particular arbors taper - as Laz says, usually 3" foot, but B&S and maybe a few others are different tapers. They can be a bit pricey, as in my instance needing an exetended version to allow the wheel to fit into the wheel guard, and primarily, allow the wheel to be able to reach across the magnet fully. Aside from coming in left and right threads, they come in various lengths, to allow for all the different configurations/mountings of magnets, etc.

Mcgyver
09-21-2010, 01:11 PM
The motor is 110volt AND spins counterclockwise as you stand at the controls (the arrow on the wheel guard points that way also). Are either of these two features normal?

Odd for a southern hemisphere lefty grinder to turn up in MN.

I think i'd just get used to it rather than change it

MuellerNick
09-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Odd tool!
All controls are where they should be, but it's running the wrong way round.
If you want to lower the wheel onto work, you go to the left and look between wheel and work for the remaining gap. While doing that, reach with your right hand to the downfeed.
I'd reverse it to run the right way round like all the other surface grinders I have seen or used.

Did that company also make a lefty lathe? With the tailstock at the left?

Nick

Oldbrock
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
All the surface grinders I have used in the last sixty years have run counter clockwise and use right hand threads on the spindle nut and on the wheel nut. Never seen clockwise wheel rotation. Peter