PDA

View Full Version : New Toy and Kudos to Clausing

MickeyD
09-22-2010, 01:53 AM
I have been on a hunt for a bigger/better bandsaw since starting a project that involves 45 degree miter cuts on 6.75" diameter thick wall aluminum tubing. I know that a circular/cold saw would be more accurate and give a cleaner cut, but even an 18" does not have enough swing to cut all the way through. I did buy an old very rough Wells 9x16, but it is taking way too long to get it back together (what do you expect for $30?), so I have been making do with a bastardized Chicom 7x12. The 7x12 would almost be OK except that the blade is not square to the base so I have been having to shim the stock to keep the cut square - another fine example of chinese quality tools. While spending Saturday morning between going to kids soccer games and gymnastics class, I found a listing on Craigslist for a Johnson Model J saw about 50 miles away for a good price. Talked to the seller and he said that he also had a couple of other saws and I could take my pick, all for the same price. Turned out that one of the other ones was a Kalamazoo vertical tilt 18x20 saw with power feed. Though full of mud dobbers and a little rusty from being used in an open shop for the last few years, it ran well and other than having to change feeds manually, everything worked on it. So instead of an 800 pound Johnson, I came home with a 3000 pound 7 foot long and 8 foot tall Kalamazoo. I called Clausing on Monday (they merged with Kalamazoo some years back) and their service dept. emailed over a manual at no charge. Said that they still stocked wear items for them and had almost all other parts in stock if I ever needed anything. It is nice to deal with an American company with people who know the products on the other end of the line (Dell, are you listening?). Now I just have to unload it off of the trailer.

http://www.austincnc.com/images/kalamazoo1.jpg

http://www.austincnc.com/images/kalamazoo2.jpg

http://www.austincnc.com/images/kalamazoo3.jpg

The way these things work is you clamp the workpiece to the table and the blade travels into it. The bow can also be tilted 45 degrees left or right, allowing either very fast miter cut setups or by clamping the workpiece at an angle on the table and tilting the blade at the same time, you can make compound angle cuts for fab work.

rockrat
09-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Nice score. My craigslist findings of late are poor at best, you on the other hand have hit the bullseye.

I bet that poor little chicom is in the corner gathering dust already.

rock~

hardtail
09-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Haven't used that saw but it looks remarkably similar to a Marvel we have at work...........your gonna love it, a true production machine.

gwilson
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Those type saws are VERY expensive. I have a Roll In,but the saw doesn't tilt. They make a tilting model,but it costs 5 figures,I believe. I love the Roll In. It is a very handy saw.

MickeyD
09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I am tickled pink with it. The reason I got so excited is that I had seen a Marvel (the Marvel and Kalamazoo look like brothers) in use and was amazed at how handy it was. I spend a lot of time at IMTS looking at bandsaws (sorry Bruce), and figured either a guillotine double column style or a tilt bow was what I really needed, but a good horizontal would sort of do. I looked real hard at a 10x20 DoAll, but at $8900 plus shipping it was really hard to justify. As soon as it stops raining I am going to unload it and will try to get some more pics.

wierdscience
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Nice score,what really makes a good saw are the blade guides and those have them.We have an old nasty looking Wells 11x18 at work,night and day difference between the guides on it an the average knock around saw.

Dr Stan
09-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Turned out that one of the other ones was a Kalamazoo vertical tilt 18x20 saw with power feed. So instead of an 800 pound Johnson, I came home with a 3000 pound 7 foot long and 8 foot tall Kalamazoo. I called Clausing on Monday (they merged with Kalamazoo some years back) and their service dept. emailed over a manual at no charge. Said that they still stocked wear items for them and had almost all other parts in stock if I ever needed anything. It is nice to deal with an American company with people who know the products on the other end of the line (Dell, are you listening?).

Wow nice score. Yes Clausing is a good company and BTW, Dell has not been an American company for years, just American in name only.

duckman
09-22-2010, 05:29 PM
You scored big now for a few words of wisdom on the right hand side of the saw is a long bar with a sliding weight on it closer to the front for less feed further back more force but before you start make sure that that the friction disc is free the friction devices are very expensive 3 pieces of round cork ha ha, the long bar makes the friction disc work. On the left side is another bar with trips on it that is for set and forget cutting. BUT before you start the machine, where the lower wheel is open the cover and check that the gears are clean, they are very EXPENSIVE to replace, one of my customers had 2 Marvel's and that was the Achilles heel of the machine. Another thing that I liked is the ability to have a clamp on both sides of the work. If you have the vari drive run it up and down at least once a day if you use it a lot. Just my $.17 worth (inflation) :D

MickeyD
09-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the tips Duckman. I will check those friction washers when I pull the cover to paint it. They were using the saw until a couple of months ago when a bunch of mud dobbers moved into it and gummed up the carriage. Took a can of penetrating oil and a wire brush to get everything moving well again. There was also a fresh yellow jacket nest in the drive housing. The live ones were gone and a stick took care of the larvae. Guess the live blew out on the highway, just hope there were no motorcycles behind me. I rolled it off of the trailer this afternoon and that booger is heavy. I have it on some 1000 pound casters for now to make it easier to handle and I believe the 3000 pounds listed in the book.

Ken_Shea
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh yeah, nice, my next really want on a long list, the list was supposed to get shorter, instead it just gets longer.

PixMan
09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Haven't used that saw but it looks remarkably similar to a Marvel we have at work...........your gonna love it, a true production machine.

I was going to say the EXACT same thing. I used to run a Marvel 8 that looked suspiciously like that Kalamazoo.