PDA

View Full Version : Shop Air

mohead1
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm tired of using rubber hose to get air around the shop. I want to finally run hard pipe. Know about the way to do it, but can't decide on material. I was gonna sweat some copper using 3/4 for main header with 1/2 drops. Is copper gonna work safely, like 150lb to main header.

RancherBill
09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
It was extensively discussed recently

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=42795&highlight=copper+solder

Read the whole thread, it is very good. I know I learned a lot.

squirrel
09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
If you don't heat the shop it would be better to use the rubber hose. Water might be in the line and freeze during the winter.

jaybird
09-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I like copper because I use a few air tools and a plasma cutter. Warm air holds water in the air. Copper dissipates heat faster and there for less moisture in the air. I have never had any freezing problem, but I blow the line regularly.

chipmaker4130
09-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Copper works very well, as jaybird mentioned. Plus, it isn't bulky like steel pipe and doesn't rust. Use type L and soft solder. That combination at normal ambient temperature is pressure-rated several times over what you'll be using. If you silver-solder the joints the pipe will be annealed and must be derated. It will be soft in those areas that you can bend it by hand. Someone will likely say that it will flex, work-harden and crack with pressure changes. Maybe in a couple of millenium! Just secure it to the wall every 10 ft or so and it will last for many decades.

MichaelP
09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Just stay away from 50-50 (Tin-Lead) solder (its pressure rating is insufficient) and use 95-5 (Tin-Antimony) solder instead.

mohead1
09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey Men, sorry about that......I must have been typing the original thread as the other post was being put up. They about wore the subject out on the other post, hehe.....anyway, I know black pipe is normally recommended, but I want lighter weight plus no need to buy a threading setup to allow adding fittings and such. I am going with the L-copper and the 95/5 solder. I can get the copper no problem, but never really looked for that type solder before. Is this common, ie. can find it easily at the local mechanical supplier?

mohead1
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey Men, sorry about that......I must have been typing the original thread as the other post was being put up. They about wore the subject out on the other post, hehe.....anyway, I know black pipe is normally recommended, but I want lighter weight plus no need to buy a threading setup to allow adding fittings and such. I am going with the L-copper and the 95/5 solder. I can get the copper no problem, but never really looked for that type solder before. Is this common, ie. can find it easily at the local mechanical supplier?

Oh, forget that last question, I just found the 95-5 (tin/antimony) at McMaster Carr in .125 dia.....so Im ready to get it going.....thanks all. :D

MichaelP
09-25-2010, 04:54 AM
I bought mine from a plumbing supply source, but some big box stores like Home Depot, Menards and Ace Hardware carry the lead free solder. I also strongly recommend use of tinning flux (vs. the regular one).

Here are some examples:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100672825&navFlow=3&keyword=95%2F5&langId=-1&searchRedirect=95%2F5&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration. endeca.EndecaDataBean%4068c6fa39&ddkey=Search

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkk/R-100145565/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053