PDA

View Full Version : The Great Shop Move

Paul Alciatore
09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, after being layed off, I have no reason to stay in Iowa so I am moving back to my home in Texas. My shop here is in a trailer so I thought the move would be easy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P2010003.jpg

Here is my electronic bench in the rear "tilt out" after cleaning it off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010012.jpg

And now the rear "tilt out" folded in with the bench and boxes and refrigerator under it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010021.jpg

My daughter and son-in-law were here for two days helping me pack. Probably saved me four or more days. I am now working on the front room with the mill, lathe, etc. Just had a couple of friends come over and help move one heavy bench into the central hall. I need to clear off the lathe and mill and move them next.

As for that "easy" thing, ha, ha! I have been packing for a week and a half now. I can only hope to be done by tomorrow so I can take the trailer in to the shop for a checkout.

More pictures soon.

Boucher
09-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry to hear about the lay off. It is a good time to head south to Texas. I live in Burnet near Austin but have a fishing camp at Three Rivers which is 175 miles south and that translates to about 10° warmer. South Texas is nice in the winter but hot as Hell in the summer. Where are you going to settle?

laddy
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks Great!!! Hope all works out. Been to Texas quite a few times. I like it. !!!!! Fred

Paul Alciatore
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Already settled in Texas. Beaumont to be exact. Had a house there for the past 20 years. It will be great to actually live there.

I had already started converting the garage to a new shop so I will hit the ground running.

Too_Many_Tools
09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
How heavy are your mill and lathe?

Will they ride back to the Lone Star State in the trailer?

Any guess how much weight you can haul in your trailer and still arrive in one piece?

If there are any tools in Iowa you want, now is a good time to buy them and haul them back with you.

TMT

Paul Alciatore
09-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes the lathe and mill will ride back with me. Here are more progress photos:

The first bench and saw in the hall (just behing the wheels).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010033.jpg

A lot remained to be moved and packed, including the lathe and mill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010034.jpg

My friend Matt helped move the mill to a position over the wheels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010036.jpg

Paul Alciatore
09-24-2010, 11:02 AM
And the lathe in place, also over the wheels. I hope I am leaving enouth weight on the hitch. I am assuming with the bulk of the added weight directly over the wheels, the original trailer balance will be retained.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010038.jpg

Now only the front of the trailer still needs to be packed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010041.jpg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010042.jpg

The bench you see in the tilt out must be removed and stored on the floor where the tilt out will cover it as well as all of the remaining stuff you see.

Well, back to work. Have to get the trailer to the shop by 2:30PM today to have the bearings and electric checked.

japcas
09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Good luck with the move. Hope you and the tools have a safe trip.

oil mac
09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi Paul,
We will be thinking of you in your move, Hope all goes well, Like your nice lathe &mill, would it maybe be an idea, if possible to remove the head from the mill, & stow on the floor to lower the centre of gravity, & also if possible rope the machines to stop tilting over

We are most keen to hear how the journey to Texas goes &a good outcome Give us all a posting.

whitis
09-24-2010, 07:51 PM
After experiencing a hitch failure with a big trailer, Ron Martin of sherline made a line of hydraulic tongue weight scales ($135):
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm
He had the race car balanced over the axle but all the tools where in front.

And, yeah, moving a shop in a trailer is only easy if the shop was designed to move from the get go. Pre-balanced, everything bolted down or stowed in drawers or cabinets which can be latched shut and can take the contents shifting around and anything delicate having a custom fitted nook. Or have struts mounted that certain items that aren't bolted down can be moved to and clamped.

Those tilt outs and the kitchen where your heavy machines should be do not help.

wierdscience
09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Good luck on the move Paul,glad it ain't me,I'd have to call out the national guard to move all my "stuff" aka crap.

kc5ezc
09-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Paul, You will probably go through McAlester, OK on your way to Beaumont. I am about an hour west of there. Please don't hesitate to call is you have a problem. 580-332-1063
kc5ezc@cableone.net email.
Glad to help if you need it.\

Chip_er
09-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Paul, may I suggest you put the mill or the lathe on the other side of the trailer near the sink, as to balance the weight. I would normaly put a little more weight on the crown side of the road. And please check the greese in the wheel bearings, I've seen too many lost wheels on the highway. Been to Beaumont very nice place. Good Luck!

Paul Alciatore
09-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Paul, You will probably go through McAlester, OK on your way to Beaumont. I am about an hour west of there. Please don't hesitate to call is you have a problem. 580-332-1063
kc5ezc@cableone.net email.
Glad to help if you need it.\

Yep, I usually go down the Indian Nation Turnpike. I guess the toll will be higher with a trailer. I have eaten lunch in McAlester many times and had to buy an emergency tire replacement there once. I should be passing there early Sunday afternoon.

Thank you, I will keep your kind offer in mind, but I hope to have no trouble. Truck is in good condition and new tires on the trailer. Also had the trailer wheel bearings checked this PM and all appeared to be good. Only thing I am worried about is I don't have a trailer brake control. I think I left it in my garage (new shop) in Texas. I need to take it easy and not follow too close.

Paul Alciatore
09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Paul, may I suggest you put the mill or the lathe on the other side of the trailer near the sink, as to balance the weight. I would normaly put a little more weight on the crown side of the road. And please check the greese in the wheel bearings, I've seen too many lost wheels on the highway. Been to Beaumont very nice place. Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions.

The mill is the heaviest and it is as close to centered as I could get it. It is fastened to the floor with hard wood blocks. The lathe is lighter, but not much when the welded steel table is taken into account. They do favor the center of the road; the picture was taken from the front, facing rear. Both are directly over the axels and now that I have it hitched up, the balance appears to be OK. They, the mill and lathe, are sort of locked together so neither can fall as the other one blocks them.

In any case, it is packed now; a two week effort. I don't plan to move anything in there until it moves into my garage. That will be a few weeks.

Wheel bearings and trailer electric have both been checked as well as a quick inspection for other potential problems. I should be good to go.

Paul Alciatore
09-25-2010, 02:06 AM
More photos from this morning. The kitchen area is filling up by mid morning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010051.jpg

And the front workbench just before disassembly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/P1010053.jpg

On the right you can see the beginning of a stack of boxes and loose items in the middle of the floor. These are now under the folded in "tilt out".

I tried to get some photos of the completely packed trailer but the camera batteries failed and I was on a tight schedule to get the trailer to the shop for checkout. I will take some on the trip which starts Sunday. I hope the weather is OK.

gearedloco
09-25-2010, 02:46 AM
[ ... ] Only thing I am worried about is I don't have a trailer brake control. I think I left it in my garage (new shop) in Texas. I need to take it easy and not follow too close.

Good heavens, man! Buy another one! For all they cost it just isn't worth it
to pull a heavily loaded trailer without brakes. Not to mention it's illegal most
states to pull a trailer weighing 1500 pounds or more without trailer brakes.

Good luck, and be safe!

-bill

gda
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Good luck - but I would be scared to make that trip without the trailer brakes - from both personal safety and liability standpoints. Does the trailer at least have break away brakes? (I once had a guy towing a medium size john deere on a trailer loose it when it started swaying. The trailer flipped on it's side and jackknifed the truck, and it all went into the guardrail about 100 feet in front of me).

It might also be a good idea to take the mill and lather off the stands to get the center of gravity lower. It may also be better for the floor - the dynamic loading of bouncing up and down while traveling may punch your lathe table legs through the floor, it will be much greater than the static load)

It would also be interesting to take the trailer to a weigh station just to see what it weighs - so you know where you stand.

Paul Alciatore
10-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Well, the trailer is in Texas now and parked in a secure area. I planned for about three days and it actually took four. I had two tires blow out and that delayed me about a day while the local tire shop got replacements and new wheels. It had to sit on the roadside overnight but all was well.

I did some work on my garage while I was there and completed the planned lighting. Still a lot to do before I can move the machines in.

I am back in Iowa now and packing up my live-in trailer. I hope to be back to Texas to stay next week.

Thanks for the concern and suggestions on safety. I was concerned, and I kept my speed down to 50 or 55 MPH. The weight of the trailer seemed to make it more stable, not less. I had absolutely no sway problems. The truck brakes seemed to handle it with slightly longer stopping distances.

More pictures later.

whitis
10-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Glad you made it ok.

Paul Alciatore
10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
A quick update after some unexpected events.

First, a couple of pictures of my garage, A.K.A. new shop. This is how it looks now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/Garage1010002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/Garage1010004.jpg

So far, I have only installed new lighting: it is not finished in the pictures. Oh, and I installed the AC unit you can see in the window last summer. Quite a mess, isn't is. Some of the boxes have things that were packed for a move we made over 20 years ago. Next job will be to clean them out.

I mentioned unexpected events. My wife had a trip to the hospital for about six days. I found her passed out on the bathroom floor. We are in a travel trailer and I had to go to the back door to even get at her. I did the 911 bit and after a trip to the local emergency room, she was air lifted to Iowa State Hospital in Iowa City. I had to drive. Anyway, she is OK now but we have delayed the second trip to Beaumont to allow more rest for her to recoperate. We hope to leave Iowa on Thursday. Hoping to beat the freeze predicted for Friday.

More later.

Mcgyver
10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Paul, geez, sorry to hear that....I hope everything's ok. A speedy recover to wife and shop!

Alistair Hosie
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
It's avery stressful time for you guys.I hope you all get through it ok best wishes for your wifes health .Regards Alistair

AllThumbz
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Paul,

Sorry to hear about your wife. Speedy recovery to her and a safe trip to you both.

Your Old Dog
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Good luck with your wife Paul. The move will wait, the important thing is to get the little lady healthy of course.

Paul Alciatore
10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks to all for the well wishes. Judy is OK now, almost back to her normal self. But it did scare the daylights out of me. And when the county hospital said they couldn't handle it and rushed to airlift her to Iowa City, I worried a lot more.

Apparently, such things heal themselves and her hospital stay was mostly replenishment of needed elements like potassium (painful drip) and antibiotics. She saw teams of doctors daily and they all said time was the best cure.

I have to say that Iowa University Hospital is one of the very best I have ever seen. It is a teaching hospital so many of the doctors and nurses had students at their side, sometimes more than one. Everyone was friendly and very helpful, even toward the smallest request. They always seemed to keep the patient’s interest in mink. My complements to them.

I picked up the last of my things from my former workplace today and managed to talk them out of a Jacobs chuck with an R8 shank in return for the many phone calls I have recieved for help in the past several weeks. Making the best of the situation seems to have paid off. I had considered taking some kind of action, but I guess the friendly route was better for both of us.

oil mac
10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear your good lady is improving Paul, It has been a most stressfull time for you, When you move your workshop in place, take care, dont rush, &be careful how you go, The last thing you need to happen is for any severe strain or physical injury to befall you, Your wife will need your help a lot after hospitalisation, Even for you just being there

hope you get your shop plant in before any wet or bad weather comes in Good luck.

Dan.

Mike Burch
10-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Paul, commiserations, and good luck. That's a great set up you have there.

Paul Alciatore
10-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Signing off for my second and final trip south. I have to pack my computer for the trip.

Be back in three or four days. In Texas!