PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good quality 5c collet block

AlexK
09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
I am looking for a good quality 5c collet block set(hex and square)
All I can find online is generic Asian blocks. Only brand name block set available is Phase II.
What is your experience with Phase II products? Should I expect somewhat better quality compared to non-brand Chinese tools?

Toolguy
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I have bought several PhaseII products over the years and been satisfied with all of them. I would say they are one of the top import brands.

Your Old Dog
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
As I see it, a collet block doesn't do anything but hold collet from turning. Why would you pay more then for a basic block. I bought a cheap set from Enco while on sale and am throughly happy with them. I clamp them mostly in the mills vice. Don't see that even the cheapest would make much difference? You might want to rethink the purchase and save some money for use elsewhere in your shop.

PS.. I bought the set that goes by 1/32ds along with the rack to go with them. The rack has enough room for several other milling tools like flycutter, boring head and saw blades.

macona
09-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I have a set of the cheap chinese ones and they are just fine. Nice finish on the blocks themselves, the nuts are so-so.

JCHannum
09-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I have had a couple sets of the chicom blocks and found them to not be concentric. ie, if using for making a hex or square, it would not be symmetrical.

I now have a Swiss made set that is much better.

Arthur.Marks
09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
I now have a Swiss made set that is much better.
Forgive me, but what brand and where did you buy? i.e. did you import from Switzerland? ...because I have never seen anything for sale other than the asian-labelled collet blocks for 5C. For my W20's (Swiss collets), then, that's another story :)

p.s. really wish we could force at least a country when signing in to HSM

JCHannum
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I bought it on the used market. It has no brand name, just marked Swiss Made on the blocks.

My location has never been a secret, I just changed servers and apparently it did not update my location. Why would that have an impact on the quality of collet blocks?

Arthur.Marks
09-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. Basically, a general location gives me some idea of common ground when asking about items purchased. That's all.

Mcgyver
09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I am looking for a good quality 5c collet block set(hex and square)
All I can find online is generic Asian blocks. Only brand name block set available is Phase II.

I think the blocks are sort of the poor guys indexer, ....this poor guys indexer is a top notch one bought used :D. I haven't seen a top of the line maker doing blocks, they're busy making indexers

aside from concentricity and having a well made collet actually fit in the bore, the big big advantage of a quality indexer is the lever release and a variety of index positions. I've one of the Yuasa's and i believe hardinge makes them as well...they also work horizontally and vertically. More than just a collet block so maybe not 100% what you're after, but highly recommended. A couple of hundred on ebay ought to secure one

http://www.travers.com/product.asp?RequestData=CA_Search&q=item_id+'69-101-057'&catalog=100219

PS, I have the chinese blocks as well, they're quick for putting hexes on bolts etc and concentricity for what i've used them for seems fine...only problem is the don't fit the collets....the hardinges are a tight fit.

vpt
01-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Old thread, new questions, no new thread needed for simple question.

I assume so as it seems the most common, but is the 5C collet block the best? Have the biggest sizes? Other reasons?

To avoid a whole set of collets for just the blocks, any reason to not get/make collet blocks to use the R8 collets my mill uses?

J Tiers
01-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Old thread, new questions, no new thread needed for simple question.

I assume so as it seems the most common, but is the 5C collet block the best? Have the biggest sizes? Other reasons?

To avoid a whole set of collets for just the blocks, any reason to not get/make collet blocks to use the R8 collets my mill uses?

Do not see why tthat would be a problem. I made a hex block for 3C collets, which the Logan uses.

Toolguy
01-05-2019, 10:13 PM
The 5C collets go to 1-1/8 on round, have square and hex and emergency collets. There is no reason an R8 collet block wouldn't be perfectly usable too. Smaller sizes, less choice of sizes, but if you have the ones you need, you're good to go. Also, you could get ER collet holders with R8 shank, and fewer ER (extreme range) collets will cover more sizes. ER 32 goes up to 3/4", ER 40 goes to 1".

vpt
01-05-2019, 10:29 PM
I think my biggest r8 is 7/8", could be wrong.

tomato coupe
01-05-2019, 10:38 PM
... any reason to not get/make collet blocks to use the R8 collets my mill uses?

The drawbar won't allow stock to pass through the collet, so R8 isn't great for work holding.

vpt
01-05-2019, 10:48 PM
The drawbar won't allow stock to pass through the collet, so R8 isn't great for work holding.

Thats a great point!

andywander
01-05-2019, 10:59 PM
5C collets are more useful for workholding, as you can pass stock all the way through them.

Also, lot's of fixtures are made to take 5C collets, end mill grinding fixtures, spin fixtures, etc. I've never seen any of those fixtures designed to take R-8 collets.

LKeithR
01-06-2019, 12:11 AM
R8 collets were never designed for workholding. Their primary purpose has always been for toolholding.
I don't think you can buy R8s in the wide range that's available for 5Cs...

BCRider
01-06-2019, 03:56 AM
The BIG one for me is the issue of work holding options that 5C addresses. Collet chucks for the lathe, spindexers, collet blocks and horizontal/vertical 5C holders. For work holding 5C is one of the major players.

And you can always get an ER32 or ER40 collet holder with a 5C shank so then you have access to all the 5C holder options but with ER size flexibility.

CCWKen
01-06-2019, 01:41 PM
If money is no object you can get a Lyndex set. They're made in USA.

Brace yourself for sticker shock: https://www.lyndexnikken.com/5C-5pc-Block-Set-1478p1742.htm

DR
01-06-2019, 02:30 PM
If money is no object you can get a Lyndex set. They're made in USA.

Brace yourself for sticker shock: https://www.lyndexnikken.com/5C-5pc-Block-Set-1478p1742.htm

You're talking about block sets and not 5C collets, right?

Lyndex claims their blocks are made in USA...?????? Actually I doubt they're made in USA, Lyndex is not particularly truthful about the country of origin of their products.

As to Lyndex 5C collets, they're about as bad as any el cheapo Chinese offerings. The collet boxes say made in Japan. But the collets only say 5C and the size. You would think they'd be proud enough of their collets to put their name on them, huh? Plus, being made in Japan would be a good selling point.

Given how bad the Lyndex 5C are collets I don't blame them for not putting their name on them. When you go to the tooling house to buy you tell them to bring all of the needed size out. Then you take your sample part and try to find one collet that isn't sprung closed so a nominal size part will slip in.

Toolguy
01-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Lyndex used to be one of the premium brands of collet, now they're worse than most of the Chinese ones. I got a cheap set of Chinese ones a few years back that have very low runout. I have a lot of odds and ends 5C collets, so one day I decided to do a test. I spent most of the day checking runout on all the brands I have. I used gage pins and dial indicator to check them.

Some of the top names like South Bend, Hardinge, Lyndex, Royal, etc. were out by .001 to .003. Some of the no name or known Chinese ones were only off a couple of tenths. Long story short, all brands were all over the map. No one brand had all of them under .001 runout. It was a bit disappointing to find that not all the high dollar ones were the assumed quality.