PDA

View Full Version : Travers Tool Housebrand Quality?

john hobdeclipe
09-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Travers Tool has a couple of house brands. They sell some machinery under the "OTMT" brand, which looks to be generic rebadged Chinese stuff. They also sell their "TTC" brand of small tools, measuring tools, workholding tools, etc.etc.etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the "TTC" brand? Is it decent quality, or just more Chrash?

I'm looking at their 30 taper end mill holders, at $50.00 each. Wonder if they're any good, or just a waste of money.

http://www.travers.com/prodlist.asp?RequestData=CA_Search&q=67-113-032&search_method=keyword&tag=STH

paulx
09-24-2010, 11:20 AM
The TTC stuff that I am familiar with is made by well known manufacturers.Having Travers badge it avoids conflicts.For example my quick change tool post is TTC made by Dorian.

rklopp
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I've bought a few TTC branded tooling items. Most have been OK, but the Taiwan clone Kurt D688 vise wasn't so good. The fixed jaw was was not perpendicular to the long axis of the vise, such that one side of the jaws clamped tight while the other still had a gap. I had a few workpieces slip as a result. I had to do a little doctoring of the keyslot that locates the fixed jaw on the base to fix the problem. I was not happy about that. It was not very practical for me to return the thing all the way cross country.

SGW
09-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I've had good luck with the TTC branded stuff I've bought, but as has been pointed out the quality seems to depend on the particular item. The stuff I've bought has ranged from "not the best, but certainly good enough to work," to "very good."

(n.b. I haven't bought anything from Travers lately, so my comments reflect my experience of a few years ago.)

Dr Stan
09-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I've been quite pleased with the quality of products from Travers for well over 25 years. They are typically my supply house of choice.

Sleazey
09-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I bought a TTC 8" disc/belt sander for woodworking and deburring. It came with a manual labelled "Craftsman", and was typical Chinese quality.

The 8" sanding disc had almost a 1/4" of wobble, making it useless. I was completely unable to dismount the disc from the shaft, the set screw socket was already stripped out!

I boxed it back up, got an RMA from Travers, and returned it for full refund. Later I bought a Wilton belt/disc grinder. Much better.

PeteM
09-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Ditto was paulx said on the TTC brand toolpost set. Excellent quality, US made, at a good price.

recoilless
09-25-2010, 06:01 AM
PeteM Ditto was paulx said on the TTC brand toolpost set. Excellent quality, US made, at a good price.

x3 on QCTP. I did get a bad slittting saw R8 arbor from them years ago. The kind with a step to handle 1" and 1-1/4" hole sized cutter. When it was delivered, I put in on a shelf for 2-3 months before unpacking it and realizing the sickening amount of runout.

ENTERPRISE LATHE
09-25-2010, 09:48 PM
I have used travers ttc brand for the last couple of years with no problems, I've bought about 15 shell end mill arbors with r-8 shanks they all work great.

dkhntr04
09-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I've gotten a dial indicator and 4 6" dial calipers from them for work. They have survived 2 years in a high school auto/metals shop and still work great. I'd say those pieces have passed the test!

TraversTech
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
John, I'm the technical support manager for Travers Tool, and I happed to see your question. The 30 taper end mill holders, which are imported from China, are an old style and are getting harder to find since manufactures are not willing to produce them. The run out of the holders is .0005 to .001. These would work fine if you are not looking for high precision. If you are looking for precision I would buy an ER system. The ER collets have less run out and a large range of sizes. If you have any other questions, give our Tech team a call at 1-800-234-9985 and we will help you make the right choice for your application. Thank you David