PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help needed on 12V winch as used on ATVs

Your Old Dog
09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I want to use a 12V battery operated electric winch on my 54 foot telescoping antenna tower. This particular winch came from, oh gawd this hurts, Harbor Freight and is remote controlled with a keyfob type device.

I topped off my 12 V car battery with the charger. The winch cable is not hooked up yet till I get the thing running the way it should. When I activate the keyfob remote the winch turns about 1/2 way around and stops. If you hold the button down you get the same thing but it starts turning again and so on and on. The button is for start and stop for winching in and another button for winching out.

I am afraid the starting and stopping is going to make it very hard on the steel cable. Any ideas?

As always thanks for your help. I did do some simple machining on the antenna system mounts and will post those even though they are kind of mundane looking!!

This is the one I have. At $69.00 the unit is a steal even if you gut the remote 60 amp switching relays off of it and throw the winch away!!
http://www.harborfreight.com/camouflage-12-volt-3000-lb-capacity-wireless-remote-controlled-portable-winch-with-roller-fairlead-95912.html

The Fixer
09-24-2010, 02:27 PM
sounds like relay wiring is not correct......?

topct
09-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Forget the remote control and hard wire a pendent to operate the winch. One button for forward one button for reverse.

The thing sounds dangerous.

Your Old Dog
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try it without the remote, that will tell me at least which is at fault.

Black_Moons
09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Remote that uses 'start' and 'stop' buttons (ie will continue without the remote being active) on a ATV winch most likey strong enough to snap something should it run outta line... Sounds very bad.. (dead battery, random button failure, droping it, droping it in water, etc, many things to go wrong)

MaxHeadRoom
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Did you look at the feedback in the link?
It did not score very high and some saying junk, the last one mentioned pulsing on/off and the Manuf. saying 'this is the way it is supposed to work'??
Max.

The Artful Bodger
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
It might be disigned to not wind unless there is some tension on the cable which would otherwise cause the cable to bunch up and jam on the drum.

Your Old Dog
09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Did you look at the feedback in the link?
It did not score very high and some saying junk, the last one mentioned pulsing on/off and the Manuf. saying 'this is the way it is supposed to work'??
Max.

I hadn't but I have now. Quite a glowing recommendation huh? :D Looks like junk. Think I'll abandon that plan with only about 4 hours into the project. Don't want to finish it with product showing so little promise.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Black_Moons
09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Yea, Just buy a hand winch insted :)

Your Old Dog
09-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Yea, Just buy a hand winch insted :) :D

I have the Rolls Royce of hand winches, that's why I want electric. Much easier to hold down a button for two minutes then to turn handcrank for four minutes. It leaves me in a lather of sweat. Also takes a lot of balls to do it when the lightening is raining down around you and you want to crank the tower down :D That's why I really liked the idea of the remote. I ran the other winch without the remote and the suggestion by someone above was corrrect. The constant pausing was part of the remote circuit.

Link to follow:
Im going to use this winch which I also have but never used. Then just for $hits and giggles I decide to read the entire instruction sheet and notice this:

WARNING: Handling the cord on this 5. product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling. (California Health & Safety Code 25249.5, et seq.)

Guess I'll be washing my hands after each use or become a mad hatter if I don't

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/92000-92999/92860.pdf

kc5ezc
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
YOD: Is your tower steel or aluminum? What kind of mount on the bottom. What machining did you have to do to mount the winch on the tower? My tower is manual, 40 ft. and aluminum. Not so heavy, but i am having trouble finding a good mount for it.

whitis
09-24-2010, 08:24 PM
The motor makes electromagnetic interference which could interfere with the RF remote; I have seen it happen on other stuff. Someone in one of the reviews suggested that it was trying to limit the duty cycle on the (undersized) motor.

I didn't like the part in the manual about playing out continuing for a couple seconds after you release the button.

Mcruff
09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
The small Champion winches sold by tractor supply for ATV use are much better than the Harbor freight junk. Mine was $79 last year, it has worked quite well with its wired pendant.

Your Old Dog
09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
YOD: Is your tower steel or aluminum? What kind of mount on the bottom. What machining did you have to do to mount the winch on the tower? My tower is manual, 40 ft. and aluminum. Not so heavy, but i am having trouble finding a good mount for it.

I have a Tri-X 54 footer that has three stages, 2 stages telescope and move up to 54 feet. It's all planted in hole 36" diameter and 7' deep filled with re-rod and concrete . Four 1" bolts stick up through the concrete and a 5/8's plate steel is bolted to that with the tower mounting tabs welded (PROFESSIONALLY AT $150.00!) that. This arraingement allows me to switch tower in the future if wanted.

The tower has a mounting plate on the side of it for the hand winch. I simply removed the handwinch and drilled new holes for the crappy winch. Now I get to drill a new set of holes for the next winch I plan to fit it with.

Evan
09-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Guess I'll be washing my hands after each use or become a mad hatter if I don't

Wrong natural element. Hatters went insane from mercury exposure. Mercury was used in the preparation of felt used in hats.

...will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer...

Firstly, lead isn't a chemical, it is a natural element. I know some call natural elements chemicals but I don't subscribe to that definition, nor do many others. Chemicals are compounds of natural elements.

Second, elemental lead is not a carcinogen. In fact, there is no clear evidence that even inorganic lead compounds are carcinogens. Toxins, yes.

Your Old Dog
09-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Nitpic but accurate! Thanks for the corrections, you're right. But I may as well get used to it because I see Slur John is back and raring to go :D

BTW, the ad for this winch mentions an automatic break as one of it's features. Does anyone spot what that might be at the end of the pdf file in the parts list? I know a worm gear assembly "acts" as a break but this is a planetary arraignment? I am wondering if this winch will hold the weight or coast back? Although the winch is rated at 2000 lbs I'll only be asking it to hold about 600 pounds.

Automatic load-holding brake
Free-spooling clutch
2000 lb. rated single-line pull
Power-in, power-out
Remote control with 50" cord

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/92000-92999/92860.pdf

bborr01
09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
YOD,

My brother and I both bought those winches for loading things on flatbed trailers instead of using come-alongs.

They both operate the same way, start and stop.

They do work allright, but I was not planning on the start stop thing.

Good luck.

Brian

Evan
09-25-2010, 11:36 AM
The automatic brake is in the motor. It is a common method to use a spring loaded armature to bias the armature when stopped in one direction. On that end of the armature shaft is a small disk brake pad that is pushed against a stationary pad in the case. When the motor operates the magnetic field pulls the armature away from the brake pad. If power is removed for any reason the armature is pushed back against the brake pad.

Your Old Dog
09-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks Evan, that's good to know. Not for this project however :(

Just back in from trying it out on the tower. It worked but was really working hard. Turns out my tower sections that lift are about 450 pounds. The winch sounded like it was working awfully hard.

I have an old tower winch that I built up years ago from a 40:1 farm reducer used on grain elevators. I had it working on another tower for several years but thought the 12 Volt ATV winch would be simple way to get to 12 Volt operation.

Project is officially on the back burner.

Evan
09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I was over the other day to visit an old friend of mine, Reg Beck (VE7IG). He recently built a really nice tower using a 20 foot or so contractor grade extension ladder fully extended to about 36 feet. It is guyed at three levels. It makes it really simple to climb.

Your Old Dog
09-25-2010, 07:56 PM
I was over the other day to visit an old friend of mine, Reg Beck (VE7IG). He recently built a really nice tower using a 20 foot or so contractor grade extension ladder fully extended to about 36 feet. It is guyed at three levels. It makes it really simple to climb.

Hams have an event called Lighthouse Day where Hams occupy Lighthouses around the world and make contacts. I used my 32 foot aluminum extension ladder as your friend did. I made a plywood frame for a rotator and bolted it to the top of the ladder and we guyed it. It worked great!!

Evan
09-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Reg is back in Newfoundland visiting his daughter right now. His daughter's husband is one of the very few remaining lightkeepers and you can bet that Reg is working from the lighthouse as we "speak", especially if it is on an island. He will be operating CW on probably 80 and 40 metres. I don't know which lighthouse it is as there are half a dozen in the general area of where they live.

aviatakl
09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I have one of these units on the Dingy Davit on a 60' (18m) Motor Launch. I have completely re-built this unit twice now in 4 years. The drum bearing is the most worn part each time. I also machined one of the internal parts that was steel, from S/S 316L. No more problems there. The cover over the terminals which was just a spray can top, I machined from UPVC plastic round bar and fit it up with 'O' rings.
The supplied control switch was not up to marine use, so this was replaced with a custom hand held 'wand', and now this has been done away with, and I have installed a WiFi controller for both the Anchor and Dingy winches.

That winch will serve you well, provided you install it correctly, wire it direct via reversing relays, and get your self a non toxic hoist control switch and wire lead with Cab Tire rubber cable.

Jim O'Donnell

aviatakl
09-25-2010, 10:38 PM
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/aviatakl/HoistcircuitLanakai.jpg

Go here and see what i did.

Jim O'Donnell