PDA

View Full Version : Electro mechanical project... "Pause" button for molding machine.

Liger Zero
09-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Ok the 600 Ton "Big Blue" press has a light-cage. We cheat the press at various points in the cycle by putting something between the sensors, causing the clamp motion to halt.

Typically, the runner will stick on the farthest point of the mold, this is due to wear on the mold and will be addressed when we send the mold out for an overhaul in January.

Being the Business Minded Fellow that I am, I notice we lose about 45-60 seconds a cycle because of this.

Operator has to pause the press, run around back, unstick the runner, run back around, and un-pause the press.

Due to the requirements of the process I can't open the mold any faster. I am thinking some sort of electromechanical or even air-driven "flag" that can be triggered by pressing a button on the front of the machine and then "reset" by pushing a button on the back of the machine causing the motion to restart. By the time the operator walks back around the mold will be mostly open. Huge time-savings this way.

Ideally it would be either an IR remote or some kind of RF signal... I want to avoid wires or pipes.

I don't know if IR has the range I need, and given the level of dust/smoke inside the press housing I'm not sure I can maintain a clear sensor.

In an industrial setting what frequency would be good for transmitting a simple pulse to a receiver? Something that won't interfere with our Two Way Radios, while not being "fooled" by motors starting and the occasional light MIG welding.

MaxHeadRoom
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
What about the Linx unit I posted in here a couple a days ago?
http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm?
The unit is 4 channel and has a remote, but you just use the 1 ch and hang the remote on the operator pendant for when he needs it.
The relay output would control whatever solenoid etc you needed.
There may have to be interlocking either with the other process or for safety that may have to be addressed
Max.

Liger Zero
09-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Hah! That is EXACTLY what I need. Four relays for outputs... That would allow me to implement another "automation" aspect on the press, mainly that of "dropping" the feed strip when shutting down. Save the operator from having to climb a step ladder.

Thank you.

jdunmyer
09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
I found a wireless switch at the local hardware store. The receiver plugs into a standard receptacle and in turn has a receptacle on the side. A small keyfob gadget is the transmitter; it has seperate 'on' and 'off' buttons. I have a relay plugged into the receiver's receptacle that operates the motor starter for the dust collector in the woodshop. Cost was about $20.00, IIRC.

Liger Zero
09-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Good idea, but what I need is a big button that gloved fingers can press.