PDA

View Full Version : working room for bridgeport?

laddy
09-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I have been offered a Bridgeport with a 4 foot bed for a great price including tooling. Don't know much more than that. The guy is moving cross country. My problem is that my "shop" is behind two vehicles in my garage and cramed tight. I have a vertical Sheldon/Vernon jig borer at present and am happy with it. What sort of working room will the Bridgeport command. Thanks to all in advance for help....Fred

aboard_epsilon
09-26-2010, 03:47 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20051028173823/frugalmachinist.com/bp1jfloorplan.gif

garagemark
09-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Depends on the length of travel you want from the table. I would assume that the table COULD travel essentially half of it's length in both directions. I would therefore assume 48" (+ -) from centerline both ways. You may not need that much travel, but if it has a power feed and you squeeze it too tight, I wouldn't walk away from it! :eek:

whitis
09-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Since you appear to have stuff positioned along a long wall, if you are creative in your positioning, you may not need to set aside all the alloted space as much of it is the table travel which can overlap with operator space for other equipment, work benches, or tool cabinets. You can slide the table to the left to use what is on the right of it and vice versa. And operator space for the bridgeport can overlap with parking. So, a space a couple feet wide and 30" deep between your existing stuff with the mill sticking forward an additional 30" or so, could work. If you are going to swing the ram around, you need some clearance above the other stuff at the appropriate height.

Put stuff on mobile bases if need be. Find another tool which is redundant if you have the knee mill. If you are really tight, banish one of the cars.

John Stevenson
09-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Lay it on it's side, they are far more rigid that way.

MrDan
09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Am I the only one who puts stuff on the Bridgeport that is bigger/longer than the bed? My working room is defined by the largest stock I think it'll need to have sticking out in some odd direction.

gaston
09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I put my BP clone in a corner, that way I get more usable table travel in less linear floor space. I keep short stuff under it like the 4x6 saw and vacuum . the corner use to be a junk catcher anyway

H8Allegheny
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
MrDan:

Like you, I have put some really long stuff (20') on the table of my Induma 1-S mill. To solve the problem, I located the mill in the corner of my garage such that the x-axis of the table aligns with windows on adjacent walls. I just open both windows, feed the long stock onto the table from outside via one window and then clamp it down in a vise. I also fabbed up some adjustable rollers that sit/clamp on the window sills to help with problems due to extreme overhang.

Because of the location of the windows, this put the mill further out in the garage than the more "traditional" corner locations many are used to seeing illustrated in the BP manuals. However, it worked out well as I'll be able to fit a 120 gallon compressor back there without problem - once I take delivery of the beast.

Brian
Taxachusetts

hornluv
09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
I put my BP clone in a corner, that way I get more usable table travel in less linear floor space. I keep short stuff under it like the 4x6 saw and vacuum . the corner use to be a junk catcher anyway

I've got my air compressor and my Lincoln buzz box under mine. The compressor's more behind really, but it's convenient to have it there because it's between the mill and lathe. I also made a hook for the air hose that fits in the table stop slot to keep the hose handy.

whitis
09-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Am I the only one who puts stuff on the Bridgeport that is bigger/longer than the bed? My working room is defined by the largest stock I think it'll need to have sticking out in some odd direction.

Nope, not alone (though I don't have a bridgeport). And I have suggested variations on the window method mentioned by H8Allegheny in the past. The configuration I suggested allows many, but not all, variations of work hanging off the table and more than many setups including the popular corner position without windows which doesn't allow for long bar stock. Located in the center of the garage you could probably have around 8 feet hanging off either side. But if you want to machine a 45degree slot in the middle of a 20 foot long bar without using CNC or sliding the ram, it isn't going to work but most people don't have enough floor space around their mill to do that. I don't think I have ever seen one with a 20' clear radius in all directions. Thats when the wheels come in handy.

I am even warped enough to consider boring a hole through a knee mill column casting (or shelves, or whatever is in the way) if it is necessary to feed long stock through an adjacent lathe spindle. I have even thought about boring a hole through the basement wall, running an auger through the hole, and lining it with pipe but the landlord would probably wouldn't go for it.

laddy
09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks to All! I will have to do some measuring and thinking. Sorry for the delayed response, I got tied up. Appreciate all the help. Fred