PDA

View Full Version : Was Quite Surprised

madman
09-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I just spent 18 hours cleaning the shop, took out a LOT of chunks billet bronze bits some 12 L14 ss aluminumn pieces. I had met some Home Machinist Group at a Model Boat Show. Thinking (thats my first mistake wont do it ever again HaHa) that these retired Gentlemen would love free metal, I call up the one Gentleman. Well.. he wants me to bring it to his meeting place (his Condo) anyhow i figure OK, He gives me a date two weeks away? I have stuff sitting in my small covered trailer for two weeks get my buddy to come along. We show up at his place HA HA just have to laugh he wont even come out (im parked outside) and have a look at the stuff pick one piece or whatever for FREE. I just wanted it to go to someone who could use it. He says to me Oh you have to wait 2 hours for our meeting to be over and then we will come out and have a look? I was smiling as I drove away to my Friends metal dumpster, who actually took All of it and put it in his small machine shop. I guess trying to be Nice isnt what its suoposed to be. If someone called me up for free metal id at least go and have a look? Am I thinking Oddly? Maybe its me with the Dementia? I was just surprised thtas all. Mikwe

John Stevenson
09-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the meeting of the Flat Earth Society.
I have had the same thing, can you bring it round, No way dipsht, you want it, you fetch it.
Don't bother any more, sooner deal with the vintage guys.

Had one yesterday, he'd broken all the gears in the head of an X2 and asked where he can get a belt drive kit in the UK, I pointed him to one on Ebay in the Uk for 70, Oh dear too much money, needs it cheaper, well make a bastard then, you asked where, I told you where.

Stepside
09-27-2010, 08:21 PM
It is the same with plants from my greenhouse-- "Yes I would like some, but I am so busy. Maybe you could deliver?" Or " I would like some of your produce but I am so busy watching a football or baseball game. Maybe if you are in the areayou could drop them by"

Or the guy that shows up unannounced with a bunch of used railing and a crummy sketch and expects you to modify, weld and prime. "This will make my wife so happy that you are doing this for us. Please call when you have it done". He is still waiting a year later. I think he is related to the guy that helps by watching and expects lunch as well. By the way I get to furnish the materials as well. Rant over.

There are others that you would almost pay for a chance to work/help them with their project. For example I would like to help Sir John but, I have an old Bridgeport and it is 1/2 a mile to the pub.

Dr Stan
09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Had an editor from Industry Week e-mail me wanting me to write an article . . . for free. I declined.

J Tiers
09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
No good deed goes unpunished....... surely you know that by now.

jack3140
09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
well well well i thought i was the only one this happens to people say i have a bad temper when i get annoyed at s**t like that happens almost every time i try to be nice to someone i guess i was born too long ago and was taught to appreciate it when someone tries to be nice but i keep trying sure pisses me off though there i said it lol

wierdscience
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
An old friend of mine plants a huge garden every year,usually 3/4 of an acre.He uses some,sells some and gives the rest away.

Last year he put an ad in the paper for free Okra and Summer squash.After the 10th phone call he got tired of telling people that no it wasn't picked and started asking them if they wanted it ate and s--- out too for the same money-free:confused:

RTPBurnsville
09-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Madman,

It is certainly not you.... I find this type of attitude more and more the past few years. I have come across it so much that generally I will just toss things as the frustration is much less, unless I need a dose of humor. It really makes you appreciate those that have a clue....

Robert

Black_Moons
09-27-2010, 09:47 PM
You call people or leave a number? Wow your nice. Free to me means 'its at the end of the driveway, Take it away before the garbage men take it away, or leave me a note saying they refuse to take it away, its also getting rather wet what with the rain and all'

Carld
09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I refer to it as the "Welfare Attitude". Not many have the gumption to do something for themselves and want someone to do everything for them.

Ridgerunner
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
A fellow I knew had a tree come down at the end of his long driveway. He cut it up and stacked it beside the main road. He put a sign on it saying free wood. It laid there for a month. So he took the sign away and within a couple of days someone stole it.

Davo J
09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
I just spent 18 hours cleaning the shop, took out a LOT of chunks billet bronze bits some 12 L14 ss aluminumn pieces. I had met some Home Machinist Group at a Model Boat Show. Thinking (thats my first mistake wont do it ever again HaHa) that these retired Gentlemen would love free metal, I call up the one Gentleman. Well.. he wants me to bring it to his meeting place (his Condo) anyhow i figure OK, He gives me a date two weeks away? I have stuff sitting in my small covered trailer for two weeks get my buddy to come along. We show up at his place HA HA just have to laugh he wont even come out (im parked outside) and have a look at the stuff pick one piece or whatever for FREE. I just wanted it to go to someone who could use it. He says to me Oh you have to wait 2 hours for our meeting to be over and then we will come out and have a look? I was smiling as I drove away to my Friends metal dumpster, who actually took All of it and put it in his small machine shop. I guess trying to be Nice isnt what its suoposed to be. If someone called me up for free metal id at least go and have a look? Am I thinking Oddly? Maybe its me with the Dementia? I was just surprised thtas all. Mikwe

Unbelievable,
I would drive miles for free stuff. Sometimes I drive miles to if there is free stuff.

Dave

A.K. Boomer
09-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Not many have the gumption to do something for themselves and want someone to do everything for them.

Not many people even know what the word "gumption" means,,, I like that word, my Dad used to use it allot, he'd get all fired up and start talking about how you could drop him off anywhere (in the US) and not even give him a pair of shoes to wear and he'd still make it and in a matter of no time not only have a pair of shoes to wear but be selling them to other people.

My Dad was the very definition of gumption - he had to be - he and my mom had 8 kids...

rdfeil
09-28-2010, 12:02 AM
In the past I tried to be nice and let people know when I had free stuff they might want. Most would show up within the hour to take a look. Over the years more and more declined or would start asking for storage / delivery. No F$%&ing way, my time is money!!! My solution was to simply let everyone know that garbage day was Thursday at 4AM, by 4:30 the garbage man would have all of the free stuff :rolleyes: After about 6 months of no calls my "friends" now stop by Wednesday afternoon and ask if they can help empty the garbage :D . It is very unfortunate that thats what it took to get the point across to them. Now the garbage man gets some stuff but not a lot that is useful...

John Stevenson
09-28-2010, 03:48 AM
My Dad was the very definition of gumption - he had to be - he and my mom had 8 kids...

Didn't realise that's what gumption meant, I can't have much, only got 2 kids ..................

John Stevenson
09-28-2010, 03:58 AM
There are others that you would almost pay for a chance to work/help them with their project. For example I would like to help Sir John but, I have an old Bridgeport and it is 1/2 a mile to the pub.

Sounds like you have all the qualifications, come on over.

mike os
09-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Not just a US thing either......makes me mad as a very mad thing....(censored version);)

madman
09-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Really Surprised me and they were older buggers to boot? Oh Well that will Teach me to try and be Nice.

Tony Ennis
09-28-2010, 07:34 AM
I would have swooped on that material so quick you'd have heard a *pop* when the air moved into the place it used to be.

Mcgyver
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
I dunno, Mikey's as a big a pack rate as the rest of us.....were they chunks...or chips ? :D :D

Rustybolt
09-28-2010, 09:23 AM
What a sense of entitlement some people have!

I'd of been over with my wallet out and a six pack of your favorite beer.

ammcoman2
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Maybe just to set the record straight, I was at that meeting last Sunday and received an e-mail prior to the get together regarding the metal. I don't know if it was a mis-understanding but "free" was not mentioned.

Then the person hosting the meeting said that you were coming over so I didn't call you ahead of time. Of course I didn't realise that it was you -- would have been great to meet you.

Geoff

kendall
09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Seems like up here the scrappers are generally the most reliable when it comes to getting free stuff on time.

I've put things on Craig's list and had tons of can you hold/deliver/load/ship requests, it's like no fricken way.

Did hold something for a guy in W. Virginia though, he recognized an old traveler part in a pic of the junk I had posted And emailed asking if that's what it was and could I hold just that part for a couple days. I went him one better and dug out everything else that went with it, he was there right on his estimated time to pick it up.

David Powell
09-28-2010, 12:49 PM
are not really achievers, but are " Hangers on " They want things done, but they want someone else to do them. It sometimes takes a while to really tell the personality of the folks around. My wife is far quicker than I am at detecting the bull**** artists, and so far she has never been wrong. The really decent folks are the ones who turn up to help when they know there is no chance of any " Payback" of any sort. I usually give folks a couple of chances before I write them off as belonging to the " useless, I need help but I wont help you' brigade. Regards David Powell.

RancherBill
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
What's the probability that in all the world both people would be HSM members, and that one would read the thread started about him, given the vague title of the thread?

Mcgyver
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Mike, if its Geoff and his crowd they're very good people. I don't know all of them but know Geoff and David Powell and they're the last guys I'd ever think to be rude or disrespectful and birds of feather etc. .. I'd be thinking bad communication was to blame,.

don't stop being nice

madman
09-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Geoff I told him it was free i also said I had a Lot at least over 500 pounds of materials. ? He was saying he didnt want 500 pounds of stuff? I just said take a little piece or whatever isnt grabbed up would go the the Scrapper. Anyhow sure bugged me that I bring it to the Place and no one would even walk out the front Door to the Parking lot for a Look. They would of been pleasantly surprised i think. Anyhow nuff bout this. Mike

TGTool
09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Talking Candy Bar Blues
(Paul Stookey)

Bought me a candy bar the other day
Only ate half, gonna throw the rest away
When I saw this kid playing in the street
I said "Hey kid, you want something to eat?" He said "What?"

I said "candy, son." He said "help!"
And then he started to run.
I stood there watching him go
Half a bar of chocolate running down his fingers.

Well the kid comes back in a minute or two
But his mom's with him and the neighbors too.
And they got the kid scared it's plain to see.
They say "Which one did it?" - He points to ma and says "Him!"

I say "What do you mean?" He says "You" and then he starts to scream.
And I'm standin' and everybody's staring at me.
"Howdy-do-dee you all waiting for the bus? Uh, a little late isn't it?
Anbody got a watch? You could see just how late it is.
I got a better idea. Let's find somebody with a watch and stare at him."

Well, some start picking up baseball bats,
And some start pulling pins from their hats.
I think this things gone a little too far,
Hell, I only offered him a candy bar.

I say "What are you doin'?" They say "Pervert, the kids life is ruined."
"Oh, well, then, you better check what he's chewin'
Cuz I've got the feelin' he's right in the middle of a bubblegum orgy."

Well, they're comin' at me and I'm backin' away
And I hear this policeman say "Are you positive he's the right man?"
I quick flip the candy bar out of my hand and he says "Show me."
I says "Show you what?" He says "The candy bar, you degenerate."
And he grabs me and he grabs both my hands.
Pretty easy to see which hands got the chocolate.

Well, I've had some troubled times before
But none like the trip from the candy store.
Oh, I sympathize with the kid all right.
Somebody's nice to you - probably ain't right.
I'll grow up - I'll learn the way.
I'll learn so that my later days will be prosperous
Chocolate covered - If I don't bite off more than I can hide.