View Full Version : Looking for high prodduction CNC

luis hernandez
11-27-2003, 09:01 PM
I am currently looking for a small high speed CNC to produce small stainless steel parts. I've checked the minimill from Haas website but they are very expensive for us right now. Do you know a good CNC small in size with the following features:

Axis: 3
spidle: 0 to 10000rpm
table: all with ball screw
axis feed: 200" ipm or more per axis
Price: $15000 to $20000

the machines has to be small similar like the Haas minimill/tool room cnc..

Luis ..

11-28-2003, 01:29 AM
look at "Vectrax" from MSCDIRECT.com

11-29-2003, 12:56 AM
I would talk to Hass about a used or reconditioned machine if I were you. It is going to be very dificult to find a good machine to fill your needs that is reliable unless you are very lucky. Their machines are good value for the money and and are user freindly. Their service is outstanding here in Canada. There are beter machines but they cost more money. You could go to a toolrom mill, but it is not as fast as the minimill

One thing you should be aware of is the new US tax laws allow you as a smaller manuafacturer to right off a large machine purchase rather than doing long tern depreciation as is normally done - this was part of the recent tax breaks that Bush brought out for business to encourage growth. It might be worth looking into.

11-29-2003, 06:55 PM
You want it all don't you!! ;-)

Light Machines Prolight or benchman, small but good. 30K spindle.

Haas Mini Mill, but you saw that. Tooled up at about 29 to 30K.

Remember, when you buy the base machine, you also have tooling costs, so choose wisely. The lights are mostly smaller tooling, and maybe thre flex colletts type of stuff. The Haas is a Cat V30 or CatV 40. Cat tooling is higher cost on the short end, but on the long end, more versatile.

Both have tool changers, the Hass a standard type and very fast. These clean house on small items and change tool time.

The Light is a great EDM electrode machine, can do quite a bit. One thing recently I saw from "light" was that they are now in the 5 axis market, and one application is making "crowns" for teeth (stainless), as a Dr. in Springfield VT has one doing.

What are your future intentions in the long run, for job profitability from job to job, and chip to chip will pay for itself.

Both good machines, but one is much more production oriented.

luis hernandez
11-30-2003, 12:36 PM
so far of the 3 (haas,vectra,bechman) the vectra looks like the best for the price. the price of the benchman is too high and looks like a toy compare with the Haas minimill and almost for the same money. do not know why so expensive that benchman machine?. there is a similar bench machine called increible machine which is very fast and precise and spidle 15000 to 50000rpm but price is too high as well 30k. I think if I ever paid 30k or more the haas will be the best choice. we still checking for other machine so any suggestion will be appreciated it on this thread..

11-30-2003, 02:09 PM
My opinions......the Vectra is most likely a piece of junk consisting of poor quality iron from the third world. Service will be a problem.

The Benchman is too small.

The Haas is by far the best choice.

12-01-2003, 01:38 AM
When you consider reliability and service it is going to be tough to beat the Haas. I know a few companies here in edmonton that when with off brands and paid the price when they fell apart. One guy rammed a Haas spindle into the deck with a $5000 tool in it and destroyed the spindle & tool, the local Haas Factory outlet had them back up and running in 8 hours (and they had to fly the parts in)

luis hernandez
12-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Is that the only good cnc manufacturer here in USA. there should be another manufacturer with a better price. 40k is to high. have you guys checked incrediblemachine.com.. do you have any suggestion on that machine..

12-01-2003, 11:27 AM

The Incredible machines look interesting. I don't think they would be very good for cutting stainless though. And their smallest machine costs about the same as a much bigger Haas. For the money the Haas is a far better value.

Have you looked for a used machine? With the current economy there are some good used machines on the market at unbelievably low prices.

12-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Try alignritetool.com I have a CNC mill/lathe with a 40K NSK spindle. Only 16K.

12-02-2003, 06:49 PM
"Try alignritetool.com I have a CNC mill/lathe with a 40K NSK spindle. Only 16K"

But, can it cut stainless? That's Luis's requirement.

luis hernandez
12-02-2003, 07:21 PM
I checked website and they are good machine but not for high production and I am not sure will cut s.. steel nicely without too much vibration..

12-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Contact Haas and talk to them - they may be able to find you a good used machine in your price range - it is worth talking to them. the only other machines worth considering are going to cost you as much or more unless you can find a good used one.

Good lord man, they send the Haas machines out into jungles for God's sake and they perform under horrible conditions day in, day out. TALK TO THEM!!!!

C. Tate
12-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Milltronics and Fadal both build mills in the U.S. I have three Fadals and no complaints. They remanufacture and sell at a fraction of the cost of new. For the same price as a new Haas you can buy a 30x20 box way machine with 10,000 rpm and max feed rate over 200 ipm. Don't know anything about Milltronics call Doall.