Request for opinions (mini-lathe & mini-mill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kyfho
    • Dec 2009

Request for opinions (mini-lathe & mini-mill)

I've been looking for a new mini-lathe to replace a completely worn out & abused Atlas/Craftsman and WAS looking at going the HorrorFright route. Then I stumbled across the MicroMark web site and was impressed with what I saw and read about their 7 x 16 lathe.

Does anyone have any experience, tales or opinions about the company or their equipment? Where it's made? Am I going to have to do a complete tear-down & cleaning to get rid of the gunk & sand? How's their customer service?

If I end up buying the lathe and it works out well, I'll probably go ahead and buy the mini-mill too.

Have also been considering the HiTorque lathe & mill from LittleMachineShop.

Please Feel free to voice any and all opinions.
  • squirrel
    • Mar 2009

It looks like a Harbor frieght machine in different colors. Have you looked at a Sherline?

Comment

• macona
      • Aug 2006

The micromark machine is made by Seig to their specs. For instance they specify .050 per turn screws on the cross slide and compound. The 16" bed is kind of interesting as well as the brushless spindle motor with readout.

Comment

• Dunc
        • Jan 2003

review/test

of the 7 x 16 micromark.

Edit: http://arceurotrade.co.uk/projects.aspx offers a review of the (original) mini-lathe and articles for cleaning & prepping the mini-lathe & mill (scroll thru the url above)
        Last edited by Dunc; 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Forget all of them, get the HF 8x12 or Lathemaster 8x14 if you want that size machine. Too big? Get a sherline or Taig.

I have a lathemaster 8x14, same lathe that HF sells. It is far more rigid than the 7xx series. I compare it to my South Bend 9", does the same work.

Comment

Take a look at the offerings at Blue Ridge Machinery and in particular look at the Myford 7. http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/ma...r_7_lathe.html

Comment

• kyfho
              • Dec 2009

OK, finally made up my mind and took the plunge. I just ordered the Grizzly G4000 (9 x 19). It has a little more capacity and ALOT more mass.

Now I guess I'll have to learn how to be a real 'Moshinist'

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfho
                OK, finally made up my mind and took the plunge. I just ordered the Grizzly G4000 (9 x 19). It has a little more capacity and ALOT more mass.

Now I guess I'll have to learn how to be a real 'Moshinist'

Thanks for the input guys.
                The 8" Lathe that HF and lathemaster sell has FAR more rigidity than the toy you just bought.

Comment

• kyfho
                  • Dec 2009

I checked with LatheMaster and they are out of stock of ALL lathes. And have never been happy with the fit and finish of the HF tools I have seen. I have however heard good things about Grizzly's Customer Service and that goes a long way with me.

Anyway, the Grizzly lathe has GOT to be a step up from my worn-out dead Atlas. The spindle bushings are shot and the chatter I get is IMPRESSIVE.

I'll just be happy to get a workable lathe.

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by RB211
                    The 8" Lathe that HF and lathemaster sell has FAR more rigidity than the toy you just bought.

It is impossible to buy a lathe that satisfies everyone.
                    Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by kyfho
                      I'll just be happy to get a workable lathe.
                      Have fun with the new lathe!
                      Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• macona
                        • Aug 2006

We have one of the Jet versions of the G4000 at work. What a horrible little machine.

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                          • Apr 2009

Is it really necessary to spoil the guy's enjoyment of his new machine?
                          Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• kyfho
                            • Dec 2009

Yeah, thanks guys.

I'm getting buyer's remorse already and I don't even have the lathe yet.

Comment

• KEJR
                              • Apr 2010

I hear that the 9x20s have their shortcomings but alot of them can be worked around. One of the things I hear is that the compund attachment to the cross slide is kind of weak, but others have made simple plates to overcome this.

I'd just check everything over when you get it and make sure there are no serious alignment problems with the headstock-tailstock and that the spindle runs out good (check spindle taper with a dial test indicator while spinning by hand).

Subscribe to one of the 9x20 groups (yahoo might have one) and think about which mods you might want to do.

Have fun with it.

KEJR

Comment

Working...
                              X