PDA

View Full Version : OT: Strange problem with Firefox and Yahoo

winchman
10-01-2010, 03:09 AM
I use this page to keep up with stock market activity:

http://finance.yahoo.com/

In the upper left of the page is a section titled "Market Summary", and just below that are three tabs titled "US", "Europe", and "Asia".

In Firefox, clicking on the tabs for Europe or Asia makes the page shift upward so that the section "Focus on Lifelong Investing" is at the top of the window. If I scroll back up, it's still showing the US market summary.

In Internet Explorer 8, the tabs work correctly to display the market summary for Europe or Asia with no upward shifting of the page.

The thing that makes this strange is that the page shifting in Firefox only happens in the early morning between 1 AM and 5 AM. At any other time of the day, the tabs work correctly in both browsers. This has been the case for several years, and has persisted despite several updates of both browsers.

I can understand that a web page might be designed to work best with a particular browser (usually IE, of course), but why would the page work incorrectly with another browser only in the early morning hours?

metalmagpie
10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
That is unusual behavior, but what is really a mystery is why you would post it here. "I always file Mozilla bugs with the machinists?"

Mozilla is open source. Suggest you figure out how to file a bug report and file one.

Bob D.
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I just followed your Yahoo link in Firefox and saw the same results but it's '9:57 AM here in NJ. Where are you?

rkepler
10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
That is unusual behavior, but what is really a mystery is why you would post it here. "I always file Mozilla bugs with the machinists?"

'cause it's a forum filled with folks who are used to computers and solving problems? Just thinking out loud, here.

As to the original problem - it might be a sensitivity to the length of a displayed text field, or just some conditional code that's sensitive to that. A lot of the complex web code I've done has had to have different sections for the various versions of IE and one other (with minor excursions) for all the other browsers - so in other words you get served a slightly different page generated slightly differently for your browser (or what your browser identifies itself as). Some number of years ago some 'problems' with Firefox on Microsoft's site were 'solved' when you changed the ID from 'Firefox' to "IE'.

bjmh46
10-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Works perfectly here, in Firefox 3.6.10

Bob

winchman
10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm in Southwest Georgia. I'm also using FF3.6.10 I've used the site for years at all times of the day and night, and the problem has only happens in the wee hours.

It's nice to know it happens on at least one other computer on the planet.

Lew Hartswick
10-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I just checked 1417 MDT and the only thing that moves is the graph
changes, absolutely notheing else moves.
Sea Monkey browser, XP opr sys.
Probably won't remember to check again. :-)
...lew...

winchman
01-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Several weeks ago, I sent Yahoo a message about this matter. I received a reply telling me that emptying the cache would fix the problem. They offered no explanation why the problem only happened in the early morning hours.

I didn't do anything at all to my computer after I got their response. The fact that my brother observed the same thing on his computer using Safari the first time he had ever gone to the site told me their "fix" was BS.

Well, the strange thing is that the problem went away the day after I got their reply, and it hasn't happened since. I guess their policy is to deny responsibility, offer a lame "fix", and correct the problem. :)

Liger Zero
01-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Mozilla is open source. Suggest you figure out how to file a bug report and file one.

Because there are very few problems that this group cannot solve. :)

Could it have something to do with content updates that happen overnight? Due to a glitch the "latest" version can't be loaded and you have to cache manually.