PDA

View Full Version : Popular Sicence - Plans for an adjustable radii turner

Mike Burdick
10-01-2010, 02:07 PM
This link has been posted by others, but for anyone that hasn't seen it, here is a link to old editions of Popular Science...

http://books.google.com/books?lr=&rview=1&id=fCYDAAAAMBAJ&q=

For example, here is a clever plan for an adjustable tool for turning radii.

Please refer to
Mar 1936
130 pages
Vol. 128, No. 3 page 88.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/MikeBurdick/ball_turner.jpg

rmancini
10-01-2010, 02:23 PM
What an interesting link!
Thank you - I sure got a kick out of the ads in the magazines.
Rich

Forrest Addy
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
WOW!!! Look at the overhang and the skinny proportions. How about a little worm and gear data? Got force/moment?

Oh well. The mag published gee-whiz concepts and dubious science for entertanment. Anything you built from its pages will have to be completely re-engineered to work - if it ever does. I sailed in a plywood collapsable catamaran made from PM plans. It was built from 4 sheets of 1/4 plywood, sawed to profile, sewed along the keel with aluminum electric fence wire amd sealed with silicone. The sail was visqueen and duct tape. The mast PVC pipe. Yes the hulls collapsed to store. Yes, it assembled and floated. It would carry one 9 year old. Total cost in 1970 about $60. Total time about 100 hours. Waste of time total.

Good entertainment though. really stimulating for the technically minded kid. I read that mag from when I was ten to - maybe sixteen when I discovered engineering .

wierdscience
10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Pretty neat,of course it's a finishing tool meant to take light cuts after the rough shape has been hogged out.

Also in that issue on page 89 an ad for the "New 1936 Southbend 9" lathe" for $75 less motor.Then a few pages later on 107 we have "Atlas quality" for only $54.75:)

Your Old Dog
10-01-2010, 08:31 PM
WOW!!! Look at the overhang and the skinny proportions. How about a little worm and gear data? Got force/moment?

Oh well. The mag published gee-whiz concepts and dubious science for entertanment. Anything you built from its pages will have to be completely re-engineered to work - if it ever does. I sailed in a plywood collapsable catamaran made from PM plans. It was built from 4 sheets of 1/4 plywood, sawed to profile, sewed along the keel with aluminum electric fence wire amd sealed with silicone. The sail was visqueen and duct tape. The mast PVC pipe. Yes the hulls collapsed to store. Yes, it assembled and floated. It would carry one 9 year old. Total cost in 1970 about $60. Total time about 100 hours. Waste of time total.

Good entertainment though. really stimulating for the technically minded kid. I read that mag from when I was ten to - maybe sixteen when I discovered engineering .

My friend built a 3 point hydroplane boat with plywood from a Popular Science magazine in 1968. I got to drive it while he water skied.